Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X79 Extreme7 will not overclock under any settings...

Default [SOLVED] X79 Extreme7 will not overclock under any settings...

SOLVED 9.3.2012: Thanks to a member @ Hardforum with the same problem with an Extreme9, he just pointed out that ASRock has posted a new BIOS 1.20 (from old 1.10) for a few boards. I flashed the new BIOS and now everything works as expected! :)
    =================
    Original post:

Hi All!,

I just finished setting up my new build based on the X79 Extreme7 and everything looked great until I tried overclocking.

Yesterday I started my first OC attempt by simply selecting the first available option in the "Load CPU EZ OC Setting" under the UEFI, which is "Turbo 4.0 GHz". W7 would not boot/get past the splash screen. Funny thing is I have also noticed that EVEN BIOS crashes when saving changes and exiting!! (Screen/mouse freezes and, after a few seconds, the BIOS turns off the computer and a few seconds later the computer powers on again). At the beginning I thought this was normal operation until I saved and exited with very safe underclocks and BIOS would immediately save and restart with no lockup...

The only way my W7 would get past the splash screen on boot is when you selected "Auto" (this setting would normally yield clock ratios between 37x and 38x and Vcore voltages around 0.88-0-92).

In "Auto" everything seems to work well. After finishing setting up everything and backing up my SSD, I ran a few stress tests on the CPU, like Linpack Linx, with reasonably good results and temps.

To eliminate potential "problem components", I tried even pulling out my X-FI from the PCI slot and replacing the video card with a 9800GT from my old DELL XPS630 and installing it in the recommended PCIE slot 1, instead of slot 3 (where I have to install my 2,5 slot wide Zotac GTX480 Amp!). All MB and component drivers have been properly installed with exception of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (due to a recommendation from the Crucial forums for my M4, which runs fine without this).

This morning I have tried to incrementally go up from the lowest underclock ratio of 12x (1.200 MHz) to check if it is a simple overclocking problem or something else. Ratios that have tested OK and booted W7 are: 12x, 20x and 32x. Anything after that would crash BIOS and W7.

As there is no Beta BIOS for this specific MB (other Extremes have a few updates already), I am desperate and seriously considering replacing this MB with another brand.

Has anyone encountered similar issues?

I am hitting a wall at this point and don't know how to proceed...

Thank you very much for any help in advance and take care!!

Luke

My system:

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme7, BIOS 1.10
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K stepping C2 (SR0KY)
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 (with thermal compound properly applied and clearing memory and X79/VRM heatsinks) ;-)
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z, F3-PC12800, 16GBZRL (4GB x 4) -DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, 1,50V - installed on A1, B1, C1 and D1 (101..101) for quad channel.
    Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 (standard case fans and fan controller)
    PSU: Corsair AX850 (with no coil whine!! :-))
    VGA: Zotac GTX480 Amp! Edition @ stock settings, driver 295.73
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB, firmware 0309 - on Intel SATA3_0
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB, WD1001FALS - on Intel SATA2_0
    BD-RE: LG H12LS38 - on Intel SATA3_1
    Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro - on PCI slot
    Monitor: NEC Spectraview 2490 w/ colorimeter
    Last edited by Luke Sena; 03-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Default Re: X79 Extreme7 will not overclock under any settings...

As with any O'Clock you risk damaging your components hence the disclaimer that any manufacturer posts about O'clock-ing...Perhaps since you have GSkill memory "Tradesman" at the GSKill Forum might have some tips for your system to try...

DDR3 - GSKILL TECH FORUM

Good Luck
    SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Default Re: X79 Extreme7 will not overclock under any settings...

Thanks a lot for your reply SaphireX.

O'C is not at all what I was aiming for... It was just a final test to confirm everything is running well as it usually just highlights any potential problem in your build. Knowing it will not even mildly overclock (which is all I have tried) makes me very unconfortable...

Looking this topic up on forums, I can see most users are able to confortably overclock their X79 systems to 4,4 GHz or more, some to over 5 GHz.

I'll give your suggestion a try as the G.Skill guy you mention seems very helpful! ;-)

Thanks again and take care!

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    As with any O'Clock you risk damaging your components hence the disclaimer that any manufacturer posts about O'clock-ing...Perhaps since you have GSkill memory "Tradesman" at the GSKill Forum might have some tips for your system to try...

DDR3 - GSKILL TECH FORUM

Good Luck
    SaphireX

Default Re: [SOLVED] X79 Extreme7 will not overclock under any settings...

Solved on 9.3.2012.

A member at Hardforum had the same problem with an Extreme9 and just confirmed that ASRock had released a new BIOS for a few boards including the Extreme7 (new version is 1.20 and old was 1.10).

Please note this new BIOS is not listed under "Beta" but in the official Download section.

Just flashed it and now everything works as expected! :)

Thanks to ASRock for fixing it so quickly!!

All the best and hope this can help anyone with the same issue.

Luke

Thread Information