Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard/Chip/Memory compatibility question

Question ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard/Chip/Memory compatibility question

Hello, I am getting ready to build a new gaming rig and want to make sure these parts go together:

-ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard
    -AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz AM3+95W Quad Core
    -4x4G Corsair cmz16gx3m4x1866c9 Vengeance DDR3 PC3 15000 1866Mhz 1.5v CL9 9-9-9-24

One problem is, Zambezi is not listed in the CPU support list.
    The second is, 4 chips of Corsair 4G running at 1866mhz are not listed either.

Will they work together?
    Will the Zambezi be able to run at 3.6Ghz?
    Will I be able to use all 4 Corsair chips for 16G memory?
    Will the memory be able to run at 1866mhz?
    Also - Are there any SSD issues I need to be aware of?

If it works, I am going to try to install Win7 Home Premium 64 bit on a 120G SSD drive
    and use 8G of the memory chips for a ram drive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-Klodnito

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard/Chip/Memory compatibility question

I have that same motherboard with the FX-6100 OC'd to 4ghz on stock cooling, any of the 900 series chipsets natively supports the FX cpus, the ram however it will not support 1866mhz speeds when all 4 banks are used (it will underclock to 1600mhz), and I highly doubt that you'll really notice a difference between 16GB 1866mhz and 16GB 1600mhz ram, also as far as SSDs go there shouldn't be any problems however beware of the drive you buy and read all reviews SSD problems typically arn't with motherboards they're with the contoroller on the SSD itself a few good ones to look for are Samsung 830, Intel, and Corsair Force GT drives (I actually have the Force GT 120GB SataIII drive in mine and it works great)
    Last edited by Matrikz; 03-07-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Thumbs up Re: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard/Chip/Memory compatibility question

Thanks for the info Matrikz, I was concerned about the underclock.
    I'll try to find the 1600mhz ram, it's going to be cheaper anyway.
    I'm not overclocking unless it seems slow.

The SSD i looked at is
    OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G Vertex Plus 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA II

I'll research the SSD some more.

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro Motherboard/Chip/Memory compatibility question

Personally I'd stay away from OCZ SSDs, as they have not had the best record with stability, also the AsRock Fatal1ty 990FX board supports SataIII. If you want the best performance I'd go with a SataIII SSD instead of a SataII. Newegg I believe has the Corsair Force GT 120GB SataIII SSD on sale right now for around $170. Or if you wanted to save a few bucks get the Force 3 SSD from Corsair for $130 with a mail in rebate.
    Last edited by Matrikz; 03-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks again, I have already changed my processor to the FX-6100 and will go for the Corsair Force GT 120GB SataIII SSD as you say you have. I'll start ordering the parts in the next few days.

Thanks again for all of your advice Matrikz. I have my full system up and running. I'm typing on it now. I have: ASRock 990FX Pro Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower <---awesome (all cables are under the motherboard) Cooler Master Silent ProM 850W (modular) Force GT 120 SSD SATA III AMD FX 6-Core black edition 16G Corsair Vengeance Dual channel @ 1600 Win7 Home Premium Windows installed in about 15 minutes. On a regular HD, it would have taken hours. Now all that's left is: 1 - What kind of BIOS changes are required to boost chip to 4Ghz? 2 - I want to make a ram drive (maybe 4-8G) for the temp files and swap file. Has anyone done this? 3 - Can the other 2 cores be unlocked?

I've already made a 4Gig Ram drive using (freeware) RAMDisk.
    I transfererred my temp/tmp/firefox cache/IE cache to the ram drive.
    I didn't bother with the swapfile. It doesn't look like it would help to move it.
    So far - works fine and I still have 10Gig of memory left.
    I tried the OC on the chip, but I can't really see any difference yet. I did 10%, then 15%. Then went back to the original setting.
    I don't think the last 2 cores can be unlocked on the 990FX pro, but I'll keep an eye out.

Thread Information