Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC won't turn back on, but fans run.

Default Re: PC won't turn back on, but fans run.

Well, I managed to get out to the city today and got myself a chassis speaker (the guy there just gave me one for free :), probably realised that the reason I came in to just get a speaker was because my computer has gone to **** and he felt sorry for me haha) and after 22 hours or so, I put the battery back in and but back the cmos clear to it's normal position. Pushed the power button, and no beeps, no response apart from what was happening yesterday...
    So by looking up what that could mean, according to ASRock > Support > FAQ (which I don't know if it's talking about the same BIOS as my board's), no beep and no debug code means "bad CPU". Quite worrying. Do you think I should try reseating the CPU?

@draghi
    I went ahead and tried the second PCI-E slot, but nothing changed. Thank you anyway though.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Missing item from your hardware list: cpu heatsink brand/model #.
    It's possible that your keyboard or mouse is causing a problem or that the cpu heatink is loose.

Cpu failures are rare, but they do happen sometimes.
    Before your problems started, were there any recent hardware and/or bios changes to your system?

If you want to remove and re-seat your cpu, it's best to look closely at the cpu pins in the socket and to inspect the contact pads on the bottom of the cpu. It's very difficult to see bent socket pins, so it would be a good idea to take some high resolution closeup pictures with a digital camera using macro mode. The lighting must provide good illumination and DON'T use the camera's flash.

Before you remove your cpu, remove the motherboard from the case and set it on a cardboard box or some books beside the computer case. Don't put an anti-static bag under the motherboard. There might be a short circuit from the motherboard to the computer case that is causing the problem.

Do you have any friends that have an extra cpu that you can test with? Different memory module? Keyboard? Mouse?
    Have you tried booting with the keyboard AND mouse disconnected, along with your minimal hardware setup?
    Did you disconnect any network cables while trying to boot? Disconnect all unneeded add-in cards?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Both my mouse and my keyboard have been unplugged for the majority of the last two days whilst troubleshooting, as well as the network cable.

Every piece of hardware in and connected to machine was their on the day that I built it, a month or so ago. The only thing that was introduced was an external HDD, which gets plugged in and out all the time. And no bios changes.

I guess I'll remove the motherboard and try to see if it boots or anything without being in the case.

Boy oh boy. Nothing seems to make the slightest difference!
    First I removed the motherboard from the case, reconnected the 20 and 8 pin power plugs to the motherboard, removed one stick of RAM so there was only one inserted, reinstalled my video card and gave that power and the DVI cable. Powered on, gave no beep or signal to monitor.
    I then removed my video card and tried again. No beep.
    Removed the one stick of RAM and tried again, no beep.
    I then removed the CPU heatsink and carefully took it out to inspect the socket pins, and even with high resolution camera shots, everything there seems to be fine. After reseating the CPU, gave it another whirl, same story.

Nothing seemed to have caused any sort of contact between the case and the motherboard as I was removing it.

Most of my friends either own macs of some sort, or have a prebuilt system from a store. There is my roommate who has a PC with custom hardware, but he uses it practically all the time for his uni work and is also asleep again right now.

I do not know what else could be done at this point except trying to beg said roommate to borrow his hardware while he is at work (asking for permission beforehand obviously) but I have my doubts about me putting his PSU back with the same cable management it had before I would take it out.

EDIT: Maybe this chassis speaker is faulty? It was free because it was just one they had lying around. Maybe I should try and check it on my roommates PC tomorrow.
    Last edited by nmur; 03-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Some of the newer case speakers have very low volume, best bet is to test the speaker with a working system.

If you bought your hardware from a local retail store, they might be able to test your hardware for free or a minimal charge.
    RMA is always an option but it would be best if you could determine which part is definitely defective.

Put together a detailed list of each test that you've done, preferably in the order the tests were performed.
    Post this list, and you can use this list to:
    PM ASRock TSD - Emily
    Fill out the form at: ASRock > Support Request Form

Given the language differences, I think that you will get the best results if you avoid a long detailed narrative description.
    You can always include a link to this thread if tech support wants more information.
    Including your phone number in the online support form might help as one forum poster reported that they phoned him.
    It might take one or two weeks for them to contact you.
    Emily was away from the forum for a while but I've seen a number of her posts in the last few days.

It sounds like you don't have an option to test some or all of your hardware (e.g. cpu, ram, video card) in another system or to borrow other hardware to test with your motherboard.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

I'll have to work on the list tomorrow because I must get some sleep soon, but I had a bit more of a look around the net, and for AMI BIOS's (which I've confirmed is what I am dealing with here), everything seems to point towards the motherboard being faulty.

For example: beepcode
    If no beeps are heard and no display is on the screen, The first thing to check is the power supply. Connect a LED to the POWER LED connection on the motherboard. If this LED lights and the drive(s) spin up then the power supply will usually be good. Next, inspect the motherboard for loose components. A loose or missing CPU, BIOS chip, Crystal Oscillator, or Chipset chip will cause the motherboard not to function.

Next, eliminate the possibility of interference by a bad or improperly set up I/O card by removing all card except the video adapter.
    The system should at least power up and wait for a drive time-out. Insert the cards back into the system one at a time until the problem happens again. When the system does nothing, the problem will be with the last expansion card that was put in.

If the above suggestions fail to cause any change in the dysfunction of the system, the motherboard must be returned for repair.
    My case's power button's LED will indeed light, but interestingly the power button on my motherboard (or the reset and clr cmos buttons for that matter) will not light with the blue light that they used to.
    Considering the problem first began while the computer was running, and not after I had installed any new hardware or changed any settings (I was out of the room at the time that it turned itself off), it does kind of sound like the a component on the motherboard suddenly failed.

From what I've read around here, the ASRock tech support seems to be pretty unreliable and slow (though I'd love to be proven wrong) but I guess I don't have much else to try. I'm starting to think that I should have taken my roommate's advice and gone with a Gigabyte motherboard instead.

There are many tech support horror stories that come from all motherboard brands.
    Right now you need to deal with ARSock.

After all your tests, it does look like you'll need to RMA your board.
    One recent poster got so fed up, he bought a another motherboard brand and will sell his problem board after he gets a board back from his RMA.

In a recent thread, it looked like a 3+ year old, out of warranty Gigabyte motherboard's bios was corrupted. His system would power on but wouldn't post. The forum poster didn't have access to testing with borrowed parts and his only option was to bring it back to the local dealer for testing before he had it returned to Gigabyte for a non-warranty repair. I suggested that he take all his hardware for testing, especially his power supply. The end of his story was that his power supply had a partial failure and the rest of his hardware was fine. His system with a new power supply now runs fine.

You've done the best you can with what you've got.
    You might get your current board back if it tests out OK. That's why it's best to logically try to eliminate all possibilities before jumping to conclusions and possibly wasting your time and money.

ive had one of those boards with exact same issue,same model too but a non gen3,dr debug wouldnt light up,nothing on mb apart from cpu fan would spin other than that it was lifeless,just rma it,asrock have good rma service,as good as gigabyte imo

may depend on your country though,here in the uk they dont have an rma/asrock based headquarters i had to send to the netherlands,but you will be different in oz,roughly one-two weeks for rma
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I tested the chassis speaker on my roommate's working system, and it gives a loud and clear single beep. So the speaker is fine.
    I've gone an updated my thread starting post with everything I've done. I've also submitted a RMA ticket with mwave, whom I bought nearly all of my rig with. Now I can just wait for a reply, and keep on using my laptop that really should be in a museum at it's age now :)

boondocks is offline Senior Member

I'm not the most advanced user on here by far, but I have a brand new modular psu on one of my builds that acts screwy just by rearranging the power outputs or adding one more 4 pin power cord. Otherwise it works fine. So, you just never know.
    The psu will go dead and do nothing until I short 2 leads on it to fire it up and then it's fine. And it works just fine for my wife's build since she doesn't tinker with stuff like I do.

The way I was contacted by Asrock support was by phone. I know that's not an option for everyone as you don't want to be called in the middle of work or school. But honestly, how hard is it for them to send an email??? Certainly cheaper than calling from China I would think.
    I think the advice about sticking to short facts and not going into extravagant detail on the support request is good. Really, that goes for any kind of long distance support as people seem to pick a few key words and ignore the rest.

IMO.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information