Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 causing overheating video card

Default ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 causing overheating video card

The problem that I've been having is an issue with blue squiggly lines across both of my screens. From what I could find it might be referred to as “artifacting” but not sure if that term is accurate for what is happening. This is a new computer and was only put together about a week ago and the problem only started this weekend after about 4 days of function. Below is my hardware list and OS:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz (Model #: BX80623I72600K)
    Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair 240-pin DDR3 1600
    PSU: 850W Corsair Modular
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX (requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors)

This problem first occurred while I was playing Kingdoms of Amalur. Now with the graphics card, I had used it in an older computer and was able to play Skyrim without any problem like what is happening. At the time this occurred I was unaware of the temperature of any of the hardware items.
    Once the blue squiggly lines appeared across both screens, the computer locked up and I was forced to hard reset the computer. When I restarted the computer, it got so far as loading Windows, the screens had the blue squiggly lines appear and once again locked up. At this point I shut down the machine and opened the chassis side. The motherboard didn't seem to have any damage (warping, discoloration, etc.), the ram felt cool, the heat sink on the CPU wasn't hot but the GPU was very warm. I let the GPU cool down for about an hour and during this time was researching the issue. I found someone else having a similar issue and they resolved it by a re-installation of the driver. I removed and reinstalled the Nvidia driver just in case there was some sort of corruption to them. Seemed to be fine for a bit but did not resolve the issue as it reoccurred.

From this point onward all testing was done without the chassis side on to allow open air flow.

I downloaded and installed CPUID for hardware monitoring of temperatures. The CPU once warmed up ran at 32.22 C (90 F) while idle. GPU was running idle at around 64 C (148 F). I downloaded EVGA Precision software to tweak with the fan speed to help bring that down and after cranking the fan to 75 (not sure if this is percentage of max speed or not) it brought the temperature down to 46.6 C (116 F). I decided to rev up my game (KoA) to see if the problem occurred again. Within 30 seconds of loading into the game the temperature of the card jumped from 46.6 C (116 F) to 54.6 C (134 F) before the blue squiggles reappeared then the computer locked up. At this point I assumed overheating of the GPU.

After speaking with some colleagues of mine about the problem I heard a few different explanations as to what might be happening. I was told there might be an issue with the GPU fan cooling (my original thoughts), also told over-voltage from the PSU causing the problem since it didn't occur in my old system, problem with the south bridge or PCI-E port on the mobo, even older BIOS being a problem.

One of my buddies decided to see if he could replicate the problem on his machine with my GPU. Different motherboard, CPU, and RAM but same OS. He managed to play some games (Payday, if it matters) and did not seem to have the problem at all. He also did not seem to have the temperature issue I had.

While he was using the 9800 GTX to see if he could replicate the problem, I grabbed an older video card (Nvidia 7900 GS). Installing all the drivers I proceeded to try and test the limits and see if I could get the issue to happen with this older card. I loaded up KoA and had CPUID on my other monitor to monitor the temp. After turning down some of the graphics settings (couldn't move enough to try and stress it) I watched the temperature sky rocket up to 72 C (161.6 F) but the blue squiggles did NOT appear. One monitor did shut off and everything moved over to the other monitor but I believe that was from overheating it since the temperature dropped to 62.7 C (145 F). This occurred with both PCI-E slots.

Testing the GPU (9800 GTX) again in the computer to see if maybe it was just a problem of the moment, my second monitor that has turned a purple hue continued with the same color problem on a different card. I have not had a chance to switch out the VGA to DVI converter on that monitor as of yet.

I've only tested the one 6-pin power connector so I'm unsure if there is a problem with the other 6-pin yet.

I THINK the problem lies with either the motherboard or with the power supply. I'm hoping for some advise and some thoughts on this.

Since my post is a bit long winded, I’ll try to sum it up in bullet points.
    -New computer (hardware near beginning of post)

-Old video card in new computer that never had a problem till this new computer

-Strange blue squiggly lines (artifacting) appear across both screens that may be caused by overheating of GPU

-Not sure if the overheating is being caused by over voltage from PSU or if there is an issue with the PCI-E slots on the motherboard
    -Rest of the computer runs about 10-40 F cooler than the GPU however this overheating issue does not happen in another computer

-Two separate video cards have the same overheating problem, regardless if I've the chassis side off and a fan blowing directly at it

-Problem happens with both PCI-E slots

If need be, I did manage to take some pictures of the artifacting if posting those would help find a solution.
    Last edited by mogfir; 03-10-2012 at 05:06 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 causing overheating video card

If you have a friend that is familiar with using a digital multi-meter (DMM), he can easily check some of the voltages to the video card.
    You can try testing with the 6-pin power cables plugged in to different connectors on your power supply.
    Can you borrow another power supply to test with?
    What is the model number of your Corsair power supply?
    It's possible that there might be a problem with the motherboard voltage supplied to the video cards, but this is difficult to measure.
    Can you borrow a modern video card to test with?

I used two 7600GT video cards, one in each system for several years before upgrading to newer video cards.
    Both 7600GT cards had a lot of dust on the fans and in the gpu cooling fins.
    I disassembled each fan and heatsink to thoroughly clean each card using compressed air.

My newer video cards run much cooler when idling than my older cards, 24o versus 40o (C).
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Unfortunately none of my friends seem to have a digital multi-meter. More than likely going to need to take it to a local computer store and see if they can test it.

I'll definately be testing some of my other 6pin connectors on the PSU (modular cables) and I do have another power supply from my old computer that I'll test with as soon as I'm able. I'll post results soon as they're available.

Model of the current power supply within my computer.

Corsair Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3/EPS12V 2.91 80 Plus Silver Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Unfortunately this card is the most current I've available to test with. I have used the compessed air on the graphics card but as for disassembling it to get within, EVGA has a sticker over some of the screws to take the plastic casing off that if removed, voids the warranty. Least ways tahts the only method I've found to get that casing off. If I absolutely have to remove that casing after getting in there with the straw on the compressed air, I will.

Your Corsair HX850 psu is an excellent psu, but even the best power supply can have problems.
    Both of my 7600GT video cards are from EVGA, but there isn't a sticker that prevents me from removing the heatsink.
    Can you remove the plastic shroud to get better access for cleaning the heatsink?
    Check with EVGA tech support and verify that you have a lifetime warranty. As I recall, in the past, if you didn't register a video card within 30 days of the purchase date, the lifetime warranty period was lowered to 1 - 3 years. See what procedure they recommend to fully clean your heatsink.

I have a 12 volt automotive tire inflater that puts out a powerful blast of air with one of the included nozzle adapters. It's much more powerful than the aerosol spay cans. I bought it at a Goodwill thrift store for $3.

Have you thought about buying a new or used recent video card model for $125 - $150?
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

I tried to remove the plastic from the top of the graphics card but it doesn't come off even with the removal of the 5 screws. Couldn't find a pinch point on the card either to allow for separation.

I'll try contacting EVGA when I'm able to and see if they can tell me how to separate the plastic from the card so I can clean it out or what their warranty is. I'm not inclined to believe its the card(s) though since I used two cards and both had the heat issue while idling. I could be wrong though due to their age but on just a default Windows desktop while doing nothing (other than running CPUID) they were heating up. Even with a stationary fan blowing in on it.

I tried using another power supply earlier today but unfortunately it was taken from an old Dell and it does not have the option for an 8 pin CPU power connection.

Earlier just to be sure it was just the default 6-pin rails that were faulty, I plugged some other 6-pins into the modular slots (made sure it went into the same color on the PSU) and the problem was still present.

Regarding a newer card, I can possibly borrow one from a friend. Currently spent all my available money on getting these parts so until the end of the month, I cannot get a new or even used video card.
    Last edited by mogfir; 03-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Try running GPU-Z while you are gaming in a windowed mode, not in full screen mode.
    Watch the Sensors information tab while idling in windows and while you're gaming.
    You can let GPU-Z save information to a log file by checking the Log to File option.
    Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.5.9 | techPowerUp

Do you have 2 pci-e power cables connected to your video card?

Temporary options:
    1. Under-clock your video card.
    2. Increase the video card fan speed.

Right now my 7600GT is idling at 47o (C) because I have my case fans set to low speeds in my P35 system.

Ok bit of an update.

Last night I tried to boot up my computer to do some testing per your suggestion of under clocking the card to see if I'd get the same result. As soon as a picture appeared (boot screen) there was the artifacting going vertically as well as across the screen once Windows booted up. So without any preheating of the card, the artifacts existed.

Also last night I tried out my friends EVGA Nvidia GTX 275. He had warned he ahead of time that this card does get hot quite easily which is why he modded it to have two additional 120mm fans attached to the heatsinks. Now with this one in just idling, I sat at an idle about 50-51 C (122 - 124 F). Didn't have a chance to play any games. No artifacts appeared at all while using this card.

I believe its actually the video card then that is unfortunately shot, not the motherboard or the power supply. Far as I can tell at least (please let me know if you think otherwise). Whether the fan is dead on the 9800 (felt air flow) or if its just fried out from too much high temp for too long a time, I'm not sure. I'll be in contact with EVGA to get it possibly replaced.
    Last edited by mogfir; 03-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Thread Information