Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5

Default Problem with ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5

Hi, I decided to post here as I am experiencing a very weird problem with this setup. First specs

i3 2120
    ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 (bios 1.30)
    Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5
    Corsair 8GB kit Vengeance LP (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)1 sata 2 hdd Western Digital 250GB
    1 sata dvd-rw Pioneer
    X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI soundblaster
    PSU Antec VP550P
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 with latest updates
    Monitor AMILO LSL 3260W
    latest drivers for everything

I assembled the system without the Asus video card and I experienced no problems with HD 2000. After intalling the Asus card I immediately started to experience heavy flickering in BIOS. The image is disappearing and appearing every second or so. I cannot do anything in BIOS. I did clear cmos a few times, I assured both PCI-E connectors are in place and that the 4+4 pin motherboard connector is also in place. No matter what I do, the flickering does not stop. The dvi cable is connected to the dvi close to the hdmi and the card is inserted in the PCI-E slot close to the cpu.

There is more. I also experience flickering when windows is loading (when it's saying starting windows). First time I loaded windows I had the intel drivers installed and windows had to install the nvidia ones. The image (low res) kept flickering until the driver was loaded and the res changed to monitor default (1920x1200@60Hz). In windows, once the driver is loaded, it's stable. I also ran 3DMark 11. Score here

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i3-2120 Processor,ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 score: P4617 3DMarks

I have tested the video card in another system (based on a P45 chipset, Asus P5Q SE2 and works fine, without flickering in bios). Since I have a good PSU, all I can think of is that it's motherboard's fault (which is brand new, I just bought it). What can I do to check that?

below, a screenshot from gpuz

Problem with ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5-gpuz-gif

one more thing. if I shut down the computer, after everything stops, the monitor remains black, but lit. the monitor led changes its color like it is without power, but the screen is lit (and black). it didn't do that a few days ago when i was using hd 2000. on the other hand, i just played world of tanks for one hour with everything maxed. worked fine, the rebooted and the flickering is there up until it loads windos).
    Last edited by h0stile; 03-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Default Re: Problem with ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5

Thanks!!! I really hope I can solve it or at least figure out what component is faulty, so I could send it back and get it replaced. Of course, I'd rather fix this issue (if possible), than go through all the replacement process.

Today, hopefully, I will test with an ATI 5770 and another monitor (just to be sure it's not the monitor's fault). I'll post here the results. What's weird is that I searched online for a similar problem and most ppl have this flickering IN windows, which I don't experience, or the system just doesn't start (which is not my case). I haven't found anyone with flickering in the uefi bios on a z68 coupled with a gtx 560 ti.

One more thing. I did try underclocking the video card to 830MHz (and choose to keep the setting upon rebooting in Asus SmartDoctor). The same thing happens. Anyway, Asus SmartDoctor says that the video card is OK.
    Last edited by h0stile; 03-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Default Re: Problem with ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5

Dear h0stile,

We test Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 with ASUS GTX560Ti VGA card on our side, system works well.
    We didn't see the symptom.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Load BIOS default settings to try.
    2. Install the VGA card to another PCI-E slot to try.
    3. If possible, please kindly install another VGA card to verify.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thank you!!! I will try 2 and 3 this evening (as I already tried loading bios defaults) and post here the results.

I tested the system with a different monitor (just let the system in UEFI for 10 minutes). No problems.

I switched monitors and after 20 seconds, my monitor's image went black two times. After 30 seconds again. After a while it was stable.

I think it's the monitor, but I don't understand why this happens only in UEFI and before windows loads. Once Windows shows its Welcome screen, everything is perfect.

What connector do you use for the monitor which is working correctly, is it VGA or DVI ?
    What connector do you use for the monitor which is NOT working correctly?

Hi I was going to use ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 and 2x Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 for sli configuration a while ago and as a result this mb went back to reseller and got myself asus board cuz video card wasn't working in first pcie slot!

Quote Originally Posted by bat4 View Post
    What connector do you use for the monitor which is working correctly, is it VGA or DVI ?
    What connector do you use for the monitor which is NOT working correctly?
    DVI in both cases (the connector from the video card was the one close to the HDMI). I now have switched to the other one (as well as give the monitor a reset) and it is stable. No more problems. I still think the monitor may have a problem and if I experience anything again, I'm going to have it checked (and hopefully repaired), as it is a very nice one (big screen, lovely colours).
    Last edited by h0stile; 03-17-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Thread Information