Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 890FX Deluxe4 - twelve hard drive limit?

Default 890FX Deluxe4 - twelve hard drive limit?

Hello forum,

First time poster. First ASRock board. Hope I provide enough info...

ASRock 890FX Deluxe4
    Phenom II X4 810
    16GB DDR3 1333 (memtest86+ with multiple passes overnight is working)
    BIOS v1.7 (also tried v1.6 previously)
    2x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 SATA controllers (BIOS 1.0b)
    Seasonic X650 Gold Power Supply

hard drives I've tried in different combinations:
    2x Crucial M4 64GB SSD
    10x Seagate 3TB SATA
    3x WDC 2TB SATA
    3x Hitachi 2TB SATA
    6x Seagate 750GB SATA
    1x WDC 250G IDE/PATA
    2x Hitachi 100G SATA

dvd drives:
    2x SATA dvdrw
    1x IDE/PATA dvdrw

other:
    2x 4GB USB flash drives

I can provide model #s if really required for the above.

It seems that the 890FX deluxe4 will not allow more than eleven hard drives to be installed. When installing twelve or more, it will not boot and present the following message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

Selecting F11 during boot and selecting a device still does not work and presents the same message. Setting the boot device in the BIOS to one of the bootable drives does not work and presents the same message. Both the F11 and BIOS options work properly with eleven or fewer hard drives.

Also, with twelve hard drives, the BIOS shows all twelve in the boot menu. With more than twelve, the BIOS still only shows twelve drives.

I have tried numerous combinations of both SATA and IDE hard drives and cdroms as well as SATA SSDs. And numerous configurations of onboard vs PCI controllers. It always seems that when I install twelve or more hard drives it will not boot (from any hard drive, from USB stick, from CDROM).

If I have eleven or less hard drives it seems to boot from any device I pick using F11 menu just fine.

It appears that dvdrw ATAPI drive count does not affect it, only hard drive count. For example, I tried eleven SATA hard drives plus two SATA cdrom drives and it worked ok (total of 13 SATA devices). But add one more hard drive (IDE/PATA or SATA) and it will not boot again.

I can disable both on-board controllers (2 port marvell, and 6 port AMD) and use just the add-in SATA cards with the same result. Any combination of 12 drives on the two add-in cards causes it as well.

So it does not appear to be a specific brand/size of drive, or which controller they are attached to. Just that when the count reaches twelve, it will not boot any more.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Anyone have a fix? Maybe a BIOS setting I haven't found or ??

Thanks in advance, I hope this is enough info for now. Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Jason

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: 890FX Deluxe4 - twelve hard drive limit?

Thats alot of storage, is all the really needed in 1 system?

I would try to contract ASrock directly and see what they say. Maybe a different controller card that uses mini sas connectors instead of sata connectors. Then you would use a mini sas to sata cable like this Newegg.com - Adaptec 2247000-R Mini SAS x4 (SFF-8087) to (4) x1 SATA Cable with SFF-8448 sideband signals -0.5M

But I think it maybe a motherboard bios problem.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Default Re: 890FX Deluxe4 - twelve hard drive limit?

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    Thats alot of storage, is all the really needed in 1 system?
    Not all of the drives will end up in this system, but they are available to me for the testing I've done. I was attempting to put 14 drives initially into the system (2 SSDs + 2 drive mirror + 10 drive raid). I outgrew the 8TB raid I had and am expanding and thought I'd consolidate a couple systems together to save power/etc. This board looked good for media connectivity (firewire, spdif, etc).

I would try to contract ASrock directly and see what they say.
    Yes, I will try them as well. I will post a reply to this thread if they help me out.

Maybe a different controller card that uses mini sas connectors instead of sata connectors. Then you would use a mini sas to sata cable like this Newegg.com - Adaptec 2247000-R Mini SAS x4 (SFF-8087) to (4) x1 SATA Cable with SFF-8448 sideband signals -0.5M
    I have a LSI SAS card and already have two SFF-8087 to 4 SATA cables like that that I will try next as well. This would rule out PCI vs PCIe as well. I'll post an update after that testing is done tonight.

But I think it maybe a motherboard bios problem.
    me too. That would be ideal as long as I can get a new/updated one that would work... :)

Have a nice day.
    Jason

Thread Information