Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 Any Overclock shuts down PC

Exclamation Z77 Extreme6 Any Overclock shuts down PC

Hi Guys, I recently set up my new build, consisting of ASRock Z77 Extreme6 , 2600K, and 8GB DDR 1600 Corsair RAM (NEW PARTS) and EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti, Aspire 680W PSU, 2 SATA HDD's (OLD PARTS from previous build). I've been trying to mess around with overclocking my 2600K and haven't been successful, not even at a slight OC @ 3.6GHz. Important to note: The computer is 100% Stable when the CPU is stock at 3.4GHz. However, when overclocked at any speed, I can boot into windows perfectly fine, but when I run something CPU intensive, such as a game or even running the W.E.I, the computer instantly shuts down (almost as if there was a power outage) and a static popping sound comes out of the speakers right before it shuts down. I've even had it restart while i was in the BIOS. After shutdown, the PC will turn itself back on after a second or two and then shut down and then turn back on then shut down and keep looping like that. The only way to get it to boot normally again is to clear the CMOS (thus, resetting the CPU to stock speeds). I first suspected a heat issue, but I have a Zalman 9700 + arctic silver and my temps never go beyond 60C when stressed (before it shuts down), so that can't be the case. The GPU worked fine in my other comp and also doesn't get over 60C. All drivers, BIOS update (1.30), windows update, everything is installed. The only think i'm suspicious about is my PSU, which is fairly old, but worked fine in my previous mobo/CPU setup (EVGA 680i w/ E6600 at 3.3GHz) - I would think that would be a more power hungry setup and never had any power issues. I haven't pulled it out to do the paper clip test yet. There is no stuttering or performance loss in any games, the PC just shuts itself off and turns back on again. No BSOD or anything strange in windows event monitor. I've never seen this happen before. Any idea what could be causing these shutdowns? Also, another thing I've noticed is that there is no POST Beep when I turn the PC on like there was with my 680i. Is that normal for this mobo? Thanks

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Any Overclock shuts down PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbringer88 View Post
    Hi Guys, I recently set up my new build, consisting of ASRock Z77 Extreme6 , 2600K, and 8GB DDR 1600 Corsair RAM (NEW PARTS) and EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti, Aspire 680W PSU, 2 SATA HDD's (OLD PARTS from previous build). I've been trying to mess around with overclocking my 2600K and haven't been successful, not even at a slight OC @ 3.6GHz. Important to note: The computer is 100% Stable when the CPU is stock at 3.4GHz. However, when overclocked at any speed, I can boot into windows perfectly fine, but when I run something CPU intensive, such as a game or even running the W.E.I, the computer instantly shuts down (almost as if there was a power outage) and a static popping sound comes out of the speakers right before it shuts down. I've even had it restart while i was in the BIOS. After shutdown, the PC will turn itself back on after a second or two and then shut down and then turn back on then shut down and keep looping like that. The only way to get it to boot normally again is to clear the CMOS (thus, resetting the CPU to stock speeds). I first suspected a heat issue, but I have a Zalman 9700 + arctic silver and my temps never go beyond 60C when stressed (before it shuts down), so that can't be the case. The GPU worked fine in my other comp and also doesn't get over 60C. All drivers, BIOS update (1.30), windows update, everything is installed. The only think i'm suspicious about is my PSU, which is fairly old, but worked fine in my previous mobo/CPU setup (EVGA 680i w/ E6600 at 3.3GHz) - I would think that would be a more power hungry setup and never had any power issues. I haven't pulled it out to do the paper clip test yet. There is no stuttering or performance loss in any games, the PC just shuts itself off and turns back on again. No BSOD or anything strange in windows event monitor. I've never seen this happen before. Any idea what could be causing these shutdowns? Also, another thing I've noticed is that there is no POST Beep when I turn the PC on like there was with my 680i. Is that normal for this mobo? Thanks
    hi mate. I'm thinking of getting this board.
    try checking if all the plugs are seated properly.
    regarding beep, did you plug the mini speaker in, cos I don't think that any board today has it integrated on the board as they did in the past.
    cheers.

Thread Information