Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X79 Extreme6 memory overclock not working

Question X79 Extreme6 memory overclock not working

I recently built a machine with an ASRock X79 Extreme6 and 32GB (4x8GB) Geil Evo Corsa memory set up for quad channel. Everything works great except that when I try to up the memory to it's advertised speed of DDR3-2400 it refuses to boot, and the mobo just pauses with code 69 showing ("North Bridge DXE initialization is started"). I've tried using XMP and manually changing the speed/timings and the only thing that works is setting it to DD3-1333 or lower. I've fiddled with just about everything I can change in the BIOS and I'm at a complete loss for what isn't working here.

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything similar with the same code. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Other info-
    Intel i7-3930k
    ASRock X79 Extreme6
    Geil Evo Corsa 4x8GB DDR3-2400 (11-12-12-30)
    GeForce GTX550Ti
    2x Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD

Default Re: X79 Extreme6 memory overclock not working

I've been having a bit of difficulty overclocking the ram on my X79 Extreme6 also. It may be that ddr-2400 isn't very realistic with this board.

I'm using Samsung MV-3V4G3D low profile 30nm DDR3 that a lot of people are reporting success with on X79 platform.

My Extreme6 just doesn't like going over 1600mhz for the ram when I have more than 1 slot occupied for each memory channel. With only 1 DIMM in each slot (4 DIMMs total), I can boot into Windows (7, SP1, x64) no problem at up to DDR-2100, so I'm pretty sure it's not the ram. But when I fill up anything past 4 or 5 slots, (ie, 2 DIMMs per channel), I can't even boot into Windows at anything over 1600mhz. However, the system seems very stable at DDR-1600mhz with all 8 slots filled (passed Prime95 Blend test for >9 hours).

I've tried ever voltage tweak I can think of. Increasing the VTT and VCCSA voltages (for the memory controller) does little to help.

I wasn't expecting ddr-2100 speeds with all 8 DIMMs filled, but I though I could at least get ddr-1866, as I've heard others with X79 boards getting this with the exact same RAM configuration I have, so I'm a little disappointed.

Perhaps I just got a CPU (3930k) with a memory controller that doesn't like to overclock very miuch... The other alternative is that the Extreme6/and or bios version just isn't a very good memory overclocker. I will note that I've had no issues overclocking the CPU, currently at 4.6 Ghz and stable with <1.35 Vcore.

Anyone else have any experience overclocking their Extreme6 with more than 4 DIMMs?

What settings do you use to get it to boot at 2100?

I have 4 DIMMs with one in each channel and anything north of 1333 and I can no longer boot. The mobo just hangs at code 69.

No special settings. My FSB multiplier (BLCK) is at 100 (default). VTT and VCCSA (memory controller voltages) left on auto. As for the ram memory and voltage, this is obviously memory dependent. I believe my VDIMM was left at default too (1.59) and timings were 11-11-11-28. I am now running at DDR-1600 with 8 DIMMS at 1.45 VDIMM at 9-9-9-27 timings. Seems OK so far.

However, while I could boot into windows at DDR-2100 with 4 DIMMs, I am in no way certain that this was stable - I didn't leave it for very long or try anything intensive.

Also, I'm running bios version 1.2 on the Extreme6

Thanks for the info. I'll just have to keep playing around with it and see if I can get anything else to work.

Reepur is offline Junior Member

I believe that the problem is in the current CPU's not the board or Ram. I have a 3820 and Intel says it
    supports up to 1600mhz even tho I could get 3 sticks to 1855 but not higher. I also lost that speed and more,
    the more I OC'd the CPU.
    I have the X79 Extreme3 atm but have the Extreme6 on the way.

Interesting. Are you referring to the C2 stepping SB-E CPUs? Were the C1 chips better at achieving higher memory clocks?

Reepur is offline Junior Member

To be honest, I do not know the difference in C1 and C2 stepping.. way too technical for me but maybe someone else will chyme in.
    I do know that even tho I could get my 3820 to 4.6ghz on air and stable, it would underclock the RAM(GSkill RipjawsZ) to ~1200 mhz and then I started
    tweaking the ram settings to get back up to 1600, but even tho I could get it to 1855 things got unstable. That's when I checked both the manual and Intel's site
    and the 3820 only supports 1600mhz RAM, it did not read that it does not support faster Ram, but that's how I read it.

I have since RMA'd the board(Asrock Extreme3) for a separate issue, and have should have a new board(Asrock Extreme6/GB) tomorrow,
    Asrock Extreme6/GB w/ Intel i-3820@4.75
    16 GB Gskill RipjawsZ 2100 mhz
    Plextor 120 GB SSD/ WD 300 GB HDD
    2x EVGA GTX 550ti's in SLI
    Corsair H100 in a Rosewill Thor 2 case.
    Rosewill 1000w PSU

OK. I'm not sure if that means that the 3820 doesn't support anything faster than 1600mhz...

All I know is that with my X79 Extreme 6, I can't run anything faster than DDR-1600 with all 8 ram slots populated (32GB total). I can fudge this up to DDR-1696 by increasing the BCLK from 100 to 106. Strangely, I get no VGA signal when I lower this to 105 or increase it past 106. However at BCLK of 105, the computer boots. My HD 7970 just does not initialize at startup. I hope I'm not damaging anything by running a BCLK of 106... BCLK in the 125 range also works, but with a BCLK of anything past 112, you can no longer use voltage offset (to decrease Vcore to around 0.9V when Speed Step reduces the core speed when idling).

Edit: I was mistaken. The issue with the video card not initializing at BCLK higher than 104 occurs when I enable "GEN3" mode in the BIOS under North Bridge advanced options. When I leave it at GEN2, the card works up to 106 BCLK. Interestingly, I haven't noticed any performance hit when using GEN2 vs GEN3. If anything, according to 3D benchmarks, GEN2 gives slightly better performance. However the difference is very minor, if any.
    Last edited by cynan; 05-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thread Information