Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB devices causing computer to not power on

Default USB devices causing computer to not power on

I have a A75M-ITX motherboard for my HTPC with a PicoPSU power supply (120W). CPU is an AMD A6-3500 and a 1TB hard drive.

Recently, my computer will not go to sleep properly. The front light starts blinking, then it turns off where it should just stay blinking. When I try to restart, the power button does not work. Unplugging any USB device will cause it to restart again. I spent two hours playing thinking it was a USB device causing the issue, but it seems it does not matter and as long as I just unplug 1 device, the computer will start up again. I can plug it back in right after and everything works fine. I have a wirelss keyboard, IR adapter, and webcam installed normally. They all work perfectly in other computers. Even using other mice and keyboards causes this same issue. I just dont get why whether I have 1 or 3 devices plugged in, I have to unplug any 1 and the computer will start again.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I also tried a different power supply and had the same results
    Last edited by gregg098; 04-22-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Clarification

Default Re: USB devices causing computer to not power on

Do you pull out the devices straight or shake while pulling?

Prehistoricman is offline Junior Member

It sounds like a BIOS problem, but I haven't seen any USB options in my BIOS. Take a look anyway.

I pull them straight out. The problem started out of the blue though with no devices being added or removed.

I emailed support and they said to change a setting that doesnt exist but I think its because the support form filled in an incorrect model number to something I dont have.

I read your first post again. You haven't worked around software level issues. Please re-install your OS and drivers, then see.

It was a faulty RAM port. I had two 4GB sticks in. I took one out and things worked perfectly so I figured it was the RAM. Put the other in its place and it also worked fine though. Pulled the stick out and put it in the other slot and got a bluescreen on startup. Put the other stick in the same slot and got booted, but a blue screen a few minutes in. Pulled and replaced one stick in the other slot and it worked perfect. Tried the same ram in another machine and no problems.

Thread Information