Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair Force GT on X58 Extreme6

yaconsult is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Corsair Force GT on X58 Extreme6

The third column is the intel motherboard sata3 controller, so the marvell is at least a little faster than the intel on the extreme6. The 9120 seems to have faster reads but slower writes compared to the 9128. According to the AVERAGES, it looks like the preferred order is 9128 -> intel -> 9120. So I guess I'll leave it on the 9128 for a while and see how it goes.

if the 9120 is showing better reads then id use that,aslong as those ports are stable ect,writes dont matter on ssd's its the speed that the data is read that matters most as it reads/loads your apps quicker
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Wow! The damn disk has already died!

I am SO disappointed. Was playing tf2 and suddenly starting getting system hangs that would last for minutes. Tried rebooting and updating but the system was unstable and kept hanging. At times, it would not even see the disk on boot. Now, the new windows install is corrupted with some programs that can't be update, removed, or installed. And I have hundreds of ntfs errors in the system logs. I can't trust this disk any more. Hope the replacement is better, but after browsing the support forum, it seems lots have had this problem.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Which sata port was your ssd connected to when it failed? Intel? Marvell?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Default The disk is being replaced by Corsair, trim not working on Sandforce < 5.03

I am returning the disk after getting an RMA. Ever since I got it, I had problems with it sometimes "disappearing"/disconnecting. To the degree that it would not even show up in the bios as connected. After repeated power cycles it would come back. It was so unreliable that I had not been using it - I would just boot from the spinning drive - but it was still in the system. Finally, last week, I was running off the hard drive and the SSD just started disconnecting and reconnecting with the associated windows popup. Now mind, it's an internal drive, not external. So it was going online and offline about once a minute. In retrospect, this drive has had a problem with going offline since I bought it. I had done a full reinstall at least three times, changed cables, etc. This particular drive has just always had a problem.

This complicated my search to find the best port type to use on the x58 extreme6 motherboard. I will try again once the replacement disk arrives.

I noted some posts on the Corsair support forum by Yellowbeard - Corsair Tech Mktg. that may be of interest to others with the Marvell controllers on X58:

The Marvell controllers are bugged. They work good for some, terrible for others. Have you tried both ports on the controller and have you tried different SATA cables? Also, if you have issues like this, you should try a clean install of the OS. The Corsair Support Forums - View Single Post - slow sata 3 corsair force 3 ssd with asrock extreme6 x58 (marvell 9128)

TRIM does not function properly with any SF 5.** series firmware prior to 5.03 according to this site:
    SSD Review: 5.03 Firmware TRIM Restored,Force GT vs. GS

They have done testing to prove this.

I advise anyone with an X58 board to avoid using the Marvell controller PERIOD. Even though it's spec'd faster than the ICH10-R, they are not very good. You should definitely be using the SSD on the Intel controller. The Corsair Support Forums - View Single Post - Thank you Corsair for firmware 5.0.3

If you have an X58 motherboard with marvell controllers, I would be interested to hear which ports and drivers worked best for you.

I saw some posts that recommended using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers instead of Microsoft's default drivers if using the Intel ports. A number of people claimed they got better performance that way. I'll give them a try when the new SSD gets here.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The factors to be considered are, what are you using the SSD for on that board? As the OS drive? Small file, 4K performance is more important for an OS drive than very high sequential read speed. If you're streaming videos from the SSD, or reading other large files, then sequential read speed is king.

The real shame is that most X58 boards use one of the Marvell 912x chips, which can only be connected to one PCIe lane. That limits the speed to 5Gb/s, rather than the full 6Gb/s of SATA III. That is also not one PCIe lane per port on the 912x chips, that is one PCIe lane total. Put two drives on a Marvell 912x, such as in RAID, and you're down to 2.5Gb/s per port, lower than SATA II at 3Gb/s.

Why more boards don't use the Marvell 9182 SATA chipset is really a shame, I guess it costs $5 more than the 912x chips. OTOH, the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge boards do not have anywhere near as many PCIe lanes as X58 or X79 boards do, and heaven forbid that board manufactures take PCIe lanes away from the video card slots, which are already limited to 8 lanes when using 2 slots, instead of using them for the 9182 chip.

X58 boards were current just before SATA III SSDs were released, and Intel was still using their SATA II chipset on those boards. I have a X58 board, so I'm a member of this left behind club too. What I did was use a RAID 0 volume of SSDs on the Intel SATA II ports, which with two SSDs, equates to one good SATA III SSD on an Intel SATA III chipset. A bit slower to boot than my Intel SATA III boards, but by only a few seconds.

parsec is offline Senior Member

A SandForce controller SSD as an OS drive on the Marvell SATA ports (and older driver) is asking for trouble. I would suggest using the Windows 7 msahci driver on the Marvell chips, no RAID of course but they will be worse in RAID. There are newer improved Marvell drivers availiable, but NOT on your boards download page, unless it is dated 2012. Then again, I wonder if blaming the Marvell chipset for all the problems a SSD might have is really valid.

If your standard of performance for a SSD is simply sequential, large file read speed, then benchmarks "tell you" the Intel SATA II interface is slower. If you check the other areas of performance, such as 4K read and write, the Intel interface is better. Booting an OS is not reading one giant file, it is many smaller files, so small file performance is important.

There is not one simple recipe of SATA chipset, driver, and board that is always better (except for the Intel or AMD SATA III chipsets), you must experiment and see what works best with your hardware. It also depends on what your PC usage is, if you are reading large files most of the time, whatever gives you the highest sequential read will likely be the best. But you won't know what is optimal unless you try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information