Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New build has random lockups/reboots no BSOD.

Default New build has random lockups/reboots no BSOD.

I get the random lockups or freezes, no BSOD everything looks fine and then nothing responds and the screen is frozen. Donít seem to matter what Iím doing, internet, games or VMware.

At first I thought I was on to something with the RAM (Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL) as it could not pass Prime95 overnight. I did much testing with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages per GSkill support but in the end I could only pass Prime95 if I installed only one DIMM with higher VTT and VCCSA voltages. I ended up getting a Kingston 32GB kit to test with and it passed an overnight run of Prime95 most of the time until I manually set the timings in the BIOS and disabling the XMP profile. Iím not sure what this does for you but both manufactures asked me to try it. I guess you are hard coding the primary timings and then letting the BIOS automatically set the rest. In Kingstonís case it worked. The GSkill kit would have workers in Prime95 start failing within 30 most times and have 4 or 5 fail overnight. The Kingston kit took at least 15 hours or more for only one worker to fail, so it seemed much more stable to begin with. Now after many overnight and then some tests of Prime95 I get no more errors.

But I still get the random lockups or freezes.

I have tried reseating everything and checked the CPU socket pins. All looks good.

I have a Samsung 830 SSD and I know there was a lot of trouble with the last batch of new SSDs with random blue screens and lockups before a new firmware. So I installed a new copy of Windows 7 on an older hard disk with no drivers and it seemed more stable. The GSkill still had issues but I could run the Kingston kit with its XMP profile and it never had an error. I may have just needed to run the test longer or a few more times.

I donít think its driver related as it locked up once while installing Windows and once while in the BIOS.
    Someone suggested I run the motherboard outside the case but Iím water cooling and have no other heat sink.

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme9, Intel 3930k 3.2GHz - G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
    Video Card: MSI HD7970
    System Drive: Samsung 512GB 830 Series SSD
    Data Drive: Hitachi 4TB
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
    LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L

petar_b is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New build has random lockups/reboots no BSOD.

Hello,

I have exactly same problem as the above described. What was the solution to the above problem ??

Thread Information