Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASrock x79 Extreme4 supports PCI-e 3.0 but only showing 2.0 in GPU-Z ???

Keyboard_Cowboy is offline Junior Member

Default ASrock x79 Extreme4 supports PCI-e 3.0 but only showing 2.0 in GPU-Z ???

Hi all,

First time post to the forums !

I have just received and installed my ASrock x79 Extreme4 MB, i7-3930 and EVGA GTX680. The system is "smoking fast".

I decided to check GPU-Z v6.2 and see that PCI-e is running at only 2.0 ? I did some reading online and thought the MB and CPU are 3.0 ready ?

I found the Reg hack to change it, however that doesn't appear to have changed anything..might have even made it slower ??? still pending on that....

I'm not sure what settings in Bios to change if any ? and I do not see any way to force this ?

Running Latest drivers for everything including 301.42

Thanks for any feedback you can provide !

Default Re: ASrock x79 Extreme4 supports PCI-e 3.0 but only showing 2.0 in GPU-Z ???

You need an Ivy-Bridge class CPU to get PCI-E 3.0 speeds. The Sandy-Bridges only use 2.0...

If it makes you feel better the performance difference of a GTX 690 in 3.0 vs 2.0 is only a few frames difference really, so the performance hit currently is not worth upgrading the CPU to Ivy at this time.

Default Re: ASrock x79 Extreme4 supports PCI-e 3.0 but only showing 2.0 in GPU-Z ???

Although pre-launch drivers of the GeForce GTX 680 let the GPU run in PCI-Express Gen 3.0 mode on Intel's Sandy Bridge-E HEDT (X79) platforms, the release drivers limited the GPU to PCI-Express Gen 2.0 on the platform. The issue carried on with GeForce GTX 670, and other graphics cards with "Kepler" family of GPUs. NVIDIA cited reasons such as the platform not being PCI-Expres Gen 3.0 "certified" although it supports the 8 GT/s mode. The company assured users that it was working on getting its hardware to work on the Sandy Bridge-E HEDT platform in Gen 3.0 mode, and until it's absolutely certain about reliability, it is forcing PCI-Express Gen 2.0 mode. The company made good on its assurance.

NVIDIA released a patch that enables PCI-Express Gen 3.0 mode on Intel Sandy Bridge-E HEDT (X79) platforms, which lets graphics cards based on GeForce Kepler GPUs, such as GeForce GTX 680, GTX 670, etc., take advantage of 8 GT/s per lane system interface bandwidth. The mode could come particularly handy for graphics cards that are installed on electrical PCI-Express 3.0 x8 slots, as they could end up with bandwidth comparable to that of PCI-Express 2.0 x16. The patch should be installed along with the latest stable drivers. Use only if stability is not absolutely paramount, or if the hardware is not operating in a mission-critical environment.
    Quelle

DOWNLOAD:NVIDIA GeForce Kepler PCIe 3.0 mode-enabling patch for Sandy Bridge-E systems

Thread Information