Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Extreme6/GB X79 No post, A2/A6 error

Default ASRock Extreme6/GB X79 No post, A2/A6 error

Hey, this is my first post on here.

I am having issues with my extreme6 X79 motherboard.
    I don't get any kind of post beep or video.
    I get an A2 error code from dr. debug and when I hit F2 as the customer service rep told me via email, I got an A6 error.
    I have read on this forum before that its some kind of video problem but I would like a someone on here for hopefully confirm this.

I know this is not an problem with my cpu because I know its running ( I touched it, HOT)
    I know its not RAM becuase I removed all but one stick and put in in all the slots, I got a different error if it was not in any of the A1,B1,C1,D1 slots.
    If a take out my video card I get another error(d6 with 5 beeps) then it goes back to A2
    I have taken all steps the customer rep via email told me to do via email. (except test psu which im fairly confident works properly.)

All im looking for is a conformation that this is in fact a video issue and not a motherboard issue.
    My video card is an old GeForce FX 5500 (PCI) but again, my motherboard still detects it as a video card.
    please help!

Default Re: ASRock Extreme6/GB X79 No post, A2/A6 error

I'm working on my first build as well. I have all the core components except for the Graphic card and the HDD for my ASRock x79 Extreme6 motherboard setup.

I also get the A2 code during boot. I have a motherboard beep speaker connected to the header on the motherboard (it came with my case) so I can hear some post beeps.

Since I don't have a GPU installed yet, and others hinted about that, I'm going to guess it is related to an issue with the graphic card, or it not being connected well.

I won't know for sure until I purchase one, but that seems to be the issue, because there are obviously no IDE connectors on this motherboard. Only SATA.

Hi
    Is getting into the bios an issue? If you can set the defaults. Take out the Ram and make sure that its compatible with your motherboard. If getting into bios is an issue then clear cmos, take out the battery, change battery. If that is still an issue bios maybe corrupted. Borrow a compatible gpu and try that.

The x79 platform (2011 socket) does not have integrated/on-board video. You have to install a graphic card before you can get visual output, as there are video connectors on the motherboard.

This may sound stupid but, did you make sure to plug in any additional power connectors on the graphic card? Also, if your motherboard has one of those molex connectors near the PCI-E slots, I'd recommend connecting that as well.

Also, make sure your power supply has enough wattage for the card. If the graphic card isn't getting enough power to function, then it simply won't do anything (no output).
    Last edited by SwordOfWar; 06-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Just wanted to bump this up and say my build booted just fine after adding an SSD and GPU.

I used a Plextor 256GB M3 Pro for the SSD and a Gigabyte GTX 670 GPU.

Thread Information