Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

JPP, thanks for the info, everything helps. Any confirmation that something works is important, and is a good contribution.

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

I'm getting wonderful info from all of you. Your replies are detailed enough for me to actually understand and follow. I haven't done 'everything' you've suggested yet, but I did download the CPU-Z standalone. I used it, and here are two screenshots of two of the tabs (CPU & SPD). The SPD tab reveals that my RAM Voltage actually is 1.5V, which is what I've been trying to resolve for days. I made a topic and replied to several replies on the G.Skills forum about the issue, which was that my ASRock MB Extreme Tuning Utility shows my RAM Voltage at 1.529 in both the Hardware Monitor section and in the OC'ing section. I don't which is the more correct of the two applications; the CPU-Z or the ASRock Utility. In any event, I'm happy to see at least one of them showing 1.5V. From what I had read elsewhere, that is the Voltage that is supposed to be correct. However, the other parameters (under the '1600' column) don't match what my BIOS Profile_1 says: 8-8-8-24 and 1T.

Here are the two screencaptures FYI. By the way, since this forum allows only 1 attachment per post, I combined the two into one.

New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-cpu-images-jpg
    Last edited by LECBOATER; 06-26-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

JPP is offline Junior Member

I won't lie to you, that last post made me die a little bit inside ...

Seems to me like all you have done is find new numbers to confuse you.

Please start by updating the BIOS setting for RAM, as SaphireX wisely suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX
    But before you do this lets get your memory to run using it's XMP profile. Enter your UEFI/BIOS on boot look for the OC TWEAKER SCREEN then near the bottom is a folder named DRAM CONFIGURATION click on that will bring up the DRAM TIMING CONTROL screen near the top of that screen you should see that it's selected already as AUTO click on that and you should have a drop down menu and select XMP then below that another menu should pop up asking you to pick an XMP profile. usually Profile #1 is the one you want since ASRock UEFI's are friendly with GSKill memory XMP settings. After you've made your choices then save and exit and boot into windows.
    When you received your mainboard, you found included a "Software Setup Guide" hardcopy. On page 5 is the DRAM Timing Control/DRAM Configuration section where you will find a screenshot of the corresponding BIOS page as well as a list of memory related BIOS settings you can make on this page. The first one in the list is "Load XMP Setting". This is what we're going for right now.

After you have done that, by following SaphireX's instructions above, let's take next step.

(BTW, 1.529 V is perfectly fine for your 1.5 V RAM, +29 millivolts (less than 2%) is _well_ within engineering tolerances. My BIOS indicates the exact same RAM voltage at stock settings.)

(BTW2: The CPU-Z tab that really should be of interest to you if you want to check how your RAM is configured and running is the one to the left of "SPD" - the "Memory" tab. I have attached a screenshot of mine. Your values should be different than mine because my RAM is different. On that tab, if your "DRAM Frequency" is in the vicinity of 800 MHz, "CAS# Latency (CL)" is 8.0 clocks, "RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)" is 8 clocks, "RAS# Precharge (tRP)" is 8 clocks, "Cycle Time (tRAS)" is 25 clocks and "Command Rate (CR)" is 2T then you are running your RAM as per XMP profile).

New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-cpuz1-jpg
    Last edited by JPP; 06-27-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: 29 millivolts

Forgot something important:

Don't worry so much, we will get you sorted eventually! It just takes a bit of time, because communication through a forum is painstakingly slow (also we live in different time zones which doesn't help).

I hope you and all TT forum readers have a great day. :)
    Last edited by JPP; 06-26-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo. I hate typing almost as much as I hate talking. Or working. =)

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    JPP has given you good advice...most likely the Intel RST failed to install because the drive was set up in the UEFI/BIOS as IDE as opposed to AHCI...Before you take the plunge and update your BIOS you should first see if you can configure your memory in the UEFI/BIOS by selecting XMP and choosing the Profile that your RAM is rated for -- save and exit and boot into windows. If you have no problems running your rig's memory using the XMP profile then you can tackle the BIOS update as well as perhaps taking advantage of the AHCI features of your hard drive down the road...Did Tradesman at the GSKill forum advise to update the BIOS?
    Keep us posted and take it one step at a time amigo!
    I overlooked your question earlier, so I'm replying to that question now. Yes. "Tradesman" on the GSKill forum did recommend that I upgrade my SB BIOS to the IB BIOS. But, no matter how many times I explained to him that "I do not want to update to that IB BIOS because so many people have tried that when they were using a SB CPU, that they lost control of their systems." Each time I'd tell him that I couldn't find a BIOS update specifically for my Z68 MB (with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed), and that "I do NOT want to attempt the Ivy Bridge BIOS update," he just didn't seem to understand. I gave up.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    For instance, my internet download speed has dropped dramatically with this MB's built-in "Realtek PCIe Family Controller", shipped with version number: 7.44.421.2011, driver date: 4/21/2011. My AT&T DSL account download speed is 'up to' 3.0Mbps (Megabits), and I used to average 2.7Mbps on my older computer). But, with this built-in network controller, my download speed for files now maxes around 250-350Kbps (Kilobytes!), no matter where I download from.
    Only just realised what I actually read in your original post hehe, sorry for being slow on the uptake. :)

350 KBytes/sec isn't too shabby on a 3 Mbit line to be honest. A byte is 8 bits you know. Add some bits here and there for traffic overhead, error checking etc. and bingo 3 Mbits. You hit your head against line bandwidth, not network controller bandwidth.
    Last edited by JPP; 06-27-2012 at 03:23 AM.

JPP, Thanks! That info help a lot!

You are most welcome, happy to help. :)

Here's where I stand, so far.
    * Checked BIOS for its current DRAM config. It's using "XMP Profile_1" and all tabs are listed as "AUTO." (NOTE: See the attached image showing DRAM settings, below).
    * Downloaded and installed the "INF_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(9.2.0.1021).zip file -- (no hitches).
    * Downoaded and installed the "Lan_Win7(7048).zip" file -- (no hitches).
    * Downloaded and installed the CPU-Z (stand-alone application), and finally read the "Memory" tab.
    * I did not try to change HDD from IDE to AHCI mode, yet!
    * I did not try changing anything in the BIOS DRAM list of options. If they need to be changed manually, I'll appreciate guidance for that. At least, the BIOS (in one place) shows timings as 8-8-8-24 and 1T.

JPP said:
    On that tab, if your "DRAM Frequency" is in the vicinity of 800 MHz, "CAS# Latency (CL)" is 8.0 clocks, "RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)" is 8 clocks, "RAS# Precharge (tRP)" is 8 clocks, "Cycle Time (tRAS)" is 25 clocks and "Command Rate (CR)" is 2T then you are running your RAM as per XMP profile).
    From what I looked at, my settings are NOT matching what he said. I hope I'm not looking in the wrong place, again! heh heh.

My system seems to be quite stable, with the exception of mouse cursor control on some web sites. That's a totall separate issue which I'll deal with later.

I may have forgotten to list some other patch that may have been recommended by you folks. If I have made wrong conclusions and something still needs to be changed, please let me know. We will finally get this "Old Fart's" computer stable!

NOTE: I had to use my cellphone's camera to capture the BIOS, since "copy to clipboard" isn't available there. I hope you can read the blurry text.
    New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-bios_setting_dram-jpg

What values do you get from CPU-Z?

Just the "Memory" tab, that'll do nicely.

PS: I'm an old fart too mind you!
    Last edited by JPP; 06-27-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information