Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    What values do you get from CPU-Z?

Just the "Memory" tab, that'll do nicely.

PS: I'm an old fart too mind you!
    Screencapture of CPU-Z "Memory" settings.
    New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-cpu-z_memory_tab_settings-jpg
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

JPP is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

On a more progressive note, you should really seriously consider switching to AHCI like parsec suggests. We want that system to be 100% fit for fight!

On an even more progressive note, I noticed PC gaming among your interests. Are you sure the integrated graphics have enough oomph for that?

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    Screencapture of CPU-Z "Memory" settings.
    New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-cpu-z_memory_tab_settings-jpg
    Those timings definitely don't match the ones in your RAM XMP profile.
    Try using the other BIOS option, "XMP 1.2 Profile 1" instead of "Auto". That's the one I use.
    Last edited by JPP; 06-27-2012 at 04:54 AM.

I do plan on making that change, but only after I can relax a little more. This has been stressful, due to my ignorance about such high-technical details. If it weren't for you and the others, I'd be lost. You have no idea just how grateful I am to all of you!

Because of health reasons, I'm more or less "homebound." So, I play WoW (World of Warcraft) the Cataclysm expansion regularly. Hell... I can travel the world, go fishing in beautiful ponds, lakes, and streams, listen to birds sing, etc. ---- without even having to leave my boat! ha ha. The onboard video suffices, but of course an external GPU would be better, if I only had around $250 bucks for a 1/2-way decent Radeon card. I don't want nVidia. I'm happy the way it is. This new computer certain performs better than my older Pentium.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

That -is- using the "XMP 1.2 Profile_1"! Take another look at the bottom picture (there are 3 pictures) I attached in a previous post: link to it is below...
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...tml#post430831

It shows at the top of that bottom picture which Profile is being used. And, didn't someone (maybe you?) say earlier in this 'novel' that with that Profile_1, I would be set to go with the "AUTO" option? At least, that's how I read it. If I do need to change values (as I mentioned on the photos), let me know. I'll follow the values recommended by you in that message, if needed.

Don't use Auto. You are running your RAM at half speed.

Manually select the other option so the tab displays XMP Profile, press F10 (and click "yes") to save the changed value.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Don't use Auto. You are running your RAM at half speed.

Manually select the other option so the tab displays XMP Profile, press F10 (and click "yes") to save the changed value.
    Duuuuh? My confusion was caused by the way the BIOS screen was designed. When I saw the words "Profile_1, and the other parameters, like 8-8-8-24," I concluded mistakenly that the AUTO setting --- by default --- was using that Profile! Geeesh!

Anyway, here's what CPU-Z shows now, after changing the BIOS as you just suggested:
    New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-cpu-memory-tab-bios-change-profile_1-jpg

JPP... my computer isn't the only thing which has memory running at 1/2 speed! I am too!!

Great stuff!

Much happier with that.

JPP, did you see the "Description" box (in the pictures I attached earlier) and what it says about "XMP 1.3 memory modules being needed?" To me, that suggests that I --need-- to get that for some reason. I don't know if they mean for me to update from my SB BIOS to the IV BIOS (which I do not want to do). The message is so vague, I don't understand it. Do you?

No, I don't understand that message, I don't see it on my system. Sorry.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information