Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Okay. Thanks for replying. My computer is flying along, so I think it's fine now. Only 1 more question, if you don't mind. What about the "ASROCK_XFastUSB(3.02.30).zip" which came off the MB CD? I've seen others post questions about it on this forum, but they haven't gotten any replies. Is that something that would benefit me, or not? Note: I do not have a LAN setup (I'm connected directly to the Internet). But, would it still improve my system and/or Internet activities?
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

JPP is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

One big misconception you are making is referring to the 2.X BIOS versions as "IB BIOSes". They are combined SB/IB BIOSes. SB support is every bit as good as in the 1.X versions in my opinion.

But it's perfectly legit to not update the BIOS if your system is running properly, in fact it's recommended by ASRock if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    What about the "ASROCK_XFastUSB(3.02.30).zip" which came off the MB CD?
    Personally I wouldn't install anything but the drivers from the CD. Those X-Fast utilities are not needed at all.

Completely off topic: WOW fishing is fun. My druid won the Stranglethorn contest twice. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Personally I wouldn't install anything but the drivers from the CD. Those X-Fast utilities are not needed at all.
    I guess we are done!

You, and others, have been wonderful. May God bless each one of you for being so supportive and helpful to me, and all the others like me who are struggling to get guidance, answers, and solutions that ASRock didn't provide (in an understandable way)!

Take care! By the way... I'll bet I'm an older 'old fart' than you are! LOL
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

You take care too LECBOATER, you slightly-older-than-me fart!

Enjoy your system, may you never lack water and shade on your travels!

And give us a yell if you run into additional snags!
    Last edited by JPP; 06-27-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    On a more progressive note, you should really seriously consider switching to AHCI like parsec suggests. We want that system to be 100% fit for fight!
    ATTEN: JPP
    Well, I read the document "How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after installation (of the OS)", but I saw no mention about the following question I have.

What is going to happen to all my currently-installed programs, files and updates on my HDD if I follow his directions? I'm hoping they won't be 'touched'.

The article didn't mention this, specifically. I'm just double-checking with you first, before I try it.

Well I SEE you finally figured out how to utilize the XMP profile of your memory...That's good
    Switching from IDE Mode to AHCI providing you follow the steps precisely on editing the registry and then configuring your Hard Drive in the UEFI/BIOS from IDE to AHCI will not affect your programs, files...etc etc
    The XFAST USB Utility is safe to install and it does improve USB 2.0 read/writes over the default windows process. Don't bother with the XFAST LAN Utility as it is versions old cFos Speed. Now the latest albeit "beta" version of cFos Speed is
    something you should at least install for the trial period to SEE if it improves your .net connectivity. I have cable and decided to purchase it as it improved not only internet but my private home network connectivity

http://www.cfos.de/en/download/downl...?reg-8.01.1968

Once you complete this transaction then this thread should be complete and then onward to your HDMI display thread...
    SaphireX
    Last edited by SaphireX; 06-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

SaphireX, thanks for that info. I uninstalled the XFAST LAN Utility, and all of its log files, etc. I won't try another version until after I resolve the last couple of issues. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    ATTEN: JPP
    Well, I read the document "How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after installation (of the OS)", but I saw no mention about the following question I have.

What is going to happen to all my currently-installed programs, files and updates on my HDD if I follow his directions? I'm hoping they won't be 'touched'.

The article didn't mention this, specifically. I'm just double-checking with you first, before I try it.
    I can't make any definitive answer to that question, as I have never tried the specified method, sorry. Seems to me like your data will indeed remain untouched.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information