Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    I can't make any definitive answer to that question, as I have never tried the specified method, sorry. Seems to me like your data will indeed remain untouched.
    JPP: I've been trying for the last hour or so to have regedit 'find' that Key (which I copied from the guy's post -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci).

Note: This forum is adding a space where one shouldn't be added! It's in the line I pasted of his 'path', and the unnecessary space is between the M and sahci. In the composition box where I'm typing, it has no space! Only in the Preview.

But, for reasons unknown to me, regedit fails to find it! However, I've tried numerous other things, all of which failed... except for this one. I had regedit 'find' only the last term of his text -- Msahci --, and it found that. The problem I have is that there are at least 3 other places in the registry that regedit found, when I pressed the F3 key (Find next...). Therefore, I'm not comfortable changing only 1 of them!

I've always been able to use regedit successfully on my Window XP version... this Win 7 seems to be different? What do you suggest I do so that I can find the "particular" Key that he told us to change the value in? I can't find it.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

JPP is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

The registry path and key are not very nicely formatted in that description you are reading.

The registry "folder" should be:
    HKEY_LOACL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci

And the key value you want to edit is:
    Start

Also, I'm pretty sure that the value you should enter is _not_ "o" (letter O) but rather "0" (number zero).

Note, however, that the last bit is only my assumption, like I wrote earlier I have never tried that procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    The registry path and key are not very nicely formatted in that description you are reading.

The registry "folder" should be:
    HKEY_LOACL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci

And the key value you want to edit is:
    Start

Also, I'm pretty sure that the value you should enter is _not_ "o" (letter O) but rather "0" (number zero).

Note, however, that the last bit is only my assumption, like I wrote earlier I have never tried that procedure.
    Yes, I lost much confidence in that guy's abilities after his sloppy 'solution' for people to follow. It's amazing that comments weren't posted about his example phrase. I had already figured out that he typed an 'o' instead of the required '0" (zero).

I've been waiting for your reply, and am glad you wrote. I found the right Key and made the change from "3" to "0" (zero). Went into BIOS and set HDD to "AHCI". Rebooted, and after it loaded the drivers, I went back into BIOS to double-check. Everything was set for AHCI. So, I did a 'cold boot,' since parameters for hardware change, just to be certain. Then, I re-ran the Windows Performance Index and was disappointed to see that my HDD still has a 5.9 rating! So, I changed a few other things; I set Windows to run in "Performance" mode; I modified my Windows Indexing options and unchecked several of my folders that have tons of picutures, videos, music, etc. since I don't ever have to search for any of their names. Rebooted again, then rebuilt the index (based upon my new changes), and ran the Base scores again. It still shows 5.9 for my HDD.

I expected (and still expect) better performance out of the WD Caviar 'Black' SATA drive! At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if the tech even set it up to use the proper SATA cables, etc.! Ha ha. Isn't 5.9 a rather slow rating for this model HDD? I don't what else to do. I attached a screenshot of the Performance Index after I did everything that I could, and nothing is different on it now than how it was before AHCI, and my other changes. It's the lowest score on the list.
    New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-windows-performance-index-base-score-jpg
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

JPP is offline Junior Member

5.9 WEI score is pretty much what you can get from a mechanical drive. My WD Caviars yield the same value.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information