Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

Question New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

I'm still trying to learn and to complete the installation of this new MB (ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3), with an Intel corei5 2500K processor. There are a few more things I need to know, such as which of the 'other' software packages that came off of the installation CD should be used, or not, and which drivers should I update?

For instance, my internet download speed has dropped dramatically with this MB's built-in "Realtek PCIe Family Controller", shipped with version number: 7.44.421.2011, driver date: 4/21/2011. My AT&T DSL account download speed is 'up to' 3.0Mbps (Megabits), and I used to average 2.7Mbps on my older computer). But, with this built-in network controller, my download speed for files now maxes around 250-350Kbps (Kilobytes!), no matter where I download from. It's not due to certain websites being 'busy.' It happens with every large file download I attempt. So, something isn't correct. It took me over 20 HOURS to install World of Warcraft, when it used to take only a few hours!

I saw these files on ASRock's web site:
    * Should this driver be updated for this board (ASROCK_REALTEC_LAN_DRIVER-Lan_Win7(7048).zip)?
    * Should this update also be installed (ASROCK_INF-DRIVERS_Win7-64_(9.2.0.1021).zip)?
    * Are there other ASRock applications which are recommended or advised against using?

I'm very new to all of this, so I do appreciate any expert help and patience.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

130 people have read this post as of today, 6/22/2012. It's hard for me to believe that nobody can answer these basic questions. To me, I thought they were simple enough to answer by someone who has experience with ASRock motherboards, especially one like mine. Somebody... please give a guy a little help!
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?

First, are you looking at drivers from your mother boards page specifically? For your OS, which is what?

Can you see the network icon on the task bar in the lower right side of the screen? If so, click on it and then click Open Network and Sharing Center, then click on you Local Area connection to check the connection speed. Did you set up your network as a home network?

Does your internet connection require you to install any software on your PC? Software from AT&T? Did you have a special network card in your other PC to connect to their network? You mentioned "this built in network controller", which implies you used something else in the past.

Did you load a driver for your network chipset? If you found a newer driver, try it, but that alone will probably not fix your speed problems. Did you try to configure it in Device Manager (if you're using Windows...)

Did you run the program on the disk with your board to install the inf files?

Thanks again for replying! I'm going to insert my comments into yours, but mine will be in a color. It'll save lots of typing, and may be easier to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, are you looking at drivers from your mother boards page specifically? For your OS, which is what?
    Yes, I believe so. The web site is very confusing the way that page is layed out, and the descriptions are rather vague (and include warnings). From what I could gather, they were all for my ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 MB -- not for Ivy Bridge. My OS is Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. Almost everything seems to be working fine, except for the couple things I've mentioned.

Can you see the network icon on the task bar in the lower right side of the screen? If so, click on it and then click Open Network and Sharing Center, then click on you Local Area connection to check the connection speed. Did you set up your network as a home network?
    No. I did not set it up for a LAN. I'm connected directly to the Internet, without any other computers 'attached.'

Does your internet connection require you to install any software on your PC?
    No. I use an AT&T 2-Wire Router/Modem (they are combined) and already configured. I have no difficulties at all using the Internet, except for tremendously slow download speeds. My download speed was much faster before I got this new motherboard.

Software from AT&T? Nothing new. Did you have a special network card in your other PC to connect to their network? No.

You mentioned "this built in network controller", which implies you used something else in the past.
    Now that you mention it that way, it makes me think I may have a faulty understanding about "network controllers." The way I viewed it was that the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller was what allowed my system to communicate with my AT&T Router/Modem. My old computer had a controller named SiS, so even though I do not have a LAN, I thought maybe? I needed an update to the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I'm probably wrong.

Did you load a driver for your network chipset? No. If you found a newer driver, try it, but that alone will probably not fix your speed problems. Did you try to configure it in Device Manager (if you're using Windows...) No. I haven't installed anything new on this system, yet. I've been waiting and praying for answers from people here who are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Did you run the program on the disk with your board to install the inf files?
    No. I read the documentation and it scared me to death! It was so complicated and risky, that I didn't dare ruin my system. It was way too technical for me, with its 30-step procedure!
    If I missed anything, or didn't explain well, please let me know, and I will try to clarify. I really appreciate your time and help!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Complicated and risky? Confusing maybe, but risky? What is the risk? All that you do to load drivers and .inf files is run their installation program. If something goes wrong, they quit and nothing is applied. I've installed drivers, etc, countless times, and it just works fine, it's like busy work to me.

So did you install Windows 7, and not much else? You installed the ASR XTU utility, I know that from your chassis fan post.

Seriously, you're not a PC hardware person, and you need help, but doing it over a forum will be very slow and full of mistakes. You're not even sure about your network set up, if it has a special card or not. I don't use DSL and never have, so I don't know.

You need to get someone to help you in person, since you are confused about what is happening, and we are very limited in communicating this way.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Complicated and risky? Confusing maybe, but risky? What is the risk? All that you do to load drivers and .inf files is run their installation program. If something goes wrong, they quit and nothing is applied. I've installed drivers, etc, countless times, and it just works fine, it's like busy work to me.

So did you install Windows 7, and not much else? You installed the ASR XTU utility, I know that from your chassis fan post.

Seriously, you're not a PC hardware person, and you need help, but doing it over a forum will be very slow and full of mistakes. You're not even sure about your network set up, if it has a special card or not. I don't use DSL and never have, so I don't know.

You need to get someone to help you in person, since you are confused about what is happening, and we are very limited in communicating this way.
    I installed all the hardware, except for some of the cables. The tech installed my HDD, hooked-up the fan(s) wiring, etc., and he installed the OS. He also installed everything that was on the CD which came with the MB. That's how the various utilites got installed.

About the network issue: Here's a screen capture I took of my system's Device manager for Network adapters. I have no "additional" adapter special card, as you mentioned; I have only the one that came built-in to the MB. It's what I have been referring to all this time.

New ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen installation - Which of these should be updated?-device_mangager_network_adapter-jpg

I'm going to follow your advice and attempt installing the ASROCK_INF-DRIVERS_Win7-64_(9.2.0.1021).zip file.
    I'm not sure if I should, or even if those I mentioned are the correct ones. Here are the questions I posted in my original post:

I saw these files on ASRock's web site:
    * Should this driver be updated for this board (ASROCK_REALTEC_LAN_DRIVER-Lan_Win7(7048).zip)?
    * Should this update also be installed (ASROCK_INF-DRIVERS_Win7-64_(9.2.0.1021).zip)?
    * Are there other ASRock applications which are recommended or advised against using?
    So far, nobody has answered with a definite "yes" or "no". I'm merely over-cautious. I'm 67 years old, and this will be my last computer build, so I don't want to ruin it because I failed to ask the experts. On SS, I cannot afford to buy replacement parts.

That's why I'm so grateful for your help and advice.

The smartest thing to do before you install any drivers or software is create preferably a full image backup to another hard drive either internal or external using the built-in Win7 backup utility to include creating a system recovery disk. That way if somthing backfires you can always restore your system to that system image. Short of creating a full system image backup you could also manually create a restore point before you install any new drivers. That way you can go back to the point or points before the various driver installs. If I were in your shoes after making the backup image or creating a restore point I would install the updated RealTek LAN drivers as well as the Chipset drivers and also the Intel RST and Intel Mgmt Engine.
    Keep us informed on your progress...
    SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Thanks, SaphireX. I have created a full image backup to my external HDD, already. I used the Win7 utility, as you suggest. I still need to create a sys recovery disk, but I'll do that as soon as I log off here.

Questions about your statement:
    "If I were in your shoes after making the backup image or creating a restore point I would install the updated RealTek LAN drivers as well as the Chipset drivers and also the Intel RST and Intel Mgmt Engine."
    Where do I find (download) the Chipset drivers, Intel RST, and Intel Mgmt Engine items you mentioned? From Intel (I presume)? Wouldn't my Windows "Update" have found those automatically? Or, are they "somewhere" here on the ASRock web site, for my particular MB?

They are on your mobo's d/l page for Win7 X64

To simplify things here are the links

ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/Intel/IN....2.0.1021).zip

ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/Intel/Ot...1410_1.5M).zip

ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/Intel/SA....8.0.1003).zip

ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/all/Lan/Lan_Win7(7048).zip

Once installed you can visit the Intel page to scan your system to verify that they are the latest versions as Windows Update does not play with these types of drivers

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Hope this squares things for you

SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

SaphireX, Just a quick note to let you know that I've downloaded the zip files from your post in this forum. The links in the email notification I got don't work. I don't know why. I'll install these separately, later on, and then reboot before installing the next, etc.

Thank you very much for providing these links! It's the kind of 'complete' help I love to recieve, since it eliminates much confusion. I'll reply again after I've done what I can do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information