Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77E-ITX won't post:

gpearson1968 is offline Junior Member

Default Z77E-ITX won't post:

OK,

Here's the rig I've been putting together :

MB : ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77
    CPU : Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
    Mem : Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB
    Case : MI-008 Tower Black P4 w/ 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

MB : Newegg.com - ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU : Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32105

Mem : Amazon.com: Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX: Electronics

case : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i01

The CPU fan spins up nice and quietly. The DVD drive spins up. The boot screen flashes on my monitor for about 1/4 sec. Then nothing.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
    gpearson1968

randycaruso is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77E-ITX won't post:

Yea same here, though I don't even get a screen AT ALL... Pulled everything off the board, it's not even powering up as far as I can tell: No fans come on. Tried a second PSU, dead dead dead. I fear it was a NewEgg repak, some slight scratches on the CPU retainer... who's dead board did I get. Or is there something I'm missing? Looks like nobody is home on this forum so if any users have a clue, would love to hear.

Not posting is hard to say, did you mash the board to death with the screws, are all the standoffs in the correct pattern, are the 24pin and 8 pin power plugs corrected correctly ?

Your using onboard graph (dvi) lets hope to start, and not the HDMI port.

If the fans come on, this means the board has power, but the graph might not be working.

Lets hope no DVI to HDMI adapter is being used at this point.

To start, the only thing on the board should be the DVI monitor, one DRIVE, ONE STICK memory, 24pin, 8pin, power.

Quote Originally Posted by randycaruso View Post
    Yea same here, though I don't even get a screen AT ALL... Pulled everything off the board, it's not even powering up as far as I can tell: No fans come on. Tried a second PSU, dead dead dead. I fear it was a NewEgg repak, some slight scratches on the CPU retainer... who's dead board did I get. Or is there something I'm missing? Looks like nobody is home on this forum so if any users have a clue, would love to hear.
    There is one way you can tell, either you bought a open box, or you didn't. In 8 years I have never once received one item that wasn't sealed. Over 50 builds and not one unsealed box.

Good point, I do think it was sealed properly, so I'll remove USED from the possible list.

I've built a few, and have always been able to test (worst case) out of the box - just on the counter. Carefully of course. But the line above about "mashing the board with the screws" - is there a ground link here I'm not getting by doing it out of the case?

Initially it WAS in the case, not responding to anything... so I've pulled it to trouble shoot a bit faster.

I hope you know that the CPU fan is a gimmie, and has to be connected.

The PSU grounds case and board to standoff's GR board, so either everything should be out or in. Its only DC so no worries about people, but the board could take short.

The mobo is grounded by the 20/24 pin plug, but when one or the other is placed into a case they become GR to it, so they both should be in or out, as with an homemade case or Acrylic case, nothing is touching metal.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 07-22-2012 at 02:21 AM.

How about the CPU itself? Can you test the board to post WITHOUT a CPU in there?

Never though of trying. Without CPU, there is only CMOS/ DOS. Can't see testing hardware without north and south interacting, and have no need to test DOS.

I wonder as a "Best Practice" kind of methodology - to build the system layer by layer - start with PSU and mobo and screen - JUST to confirm fundamental post from the mobo. In this case, I'm a little in the dark because while it appears the board is DOA, I can't tell if there's any problem with the CPU - or if it's damaged. Unlikely to be either I think as the board wouldn't even spin up the CPU or case fan. But next time, I think I'll try powering up the platform without anything plugged into it. Anybody have any adivce for-or-against?

gpearson1968 is offline Junior Member

Well,

I got it working, and it looks like this one was my fault. I was replacing an HTPC build I put together a few years ago, so I had hooked this one up to the HDMI output. Didn't think that the DVI was the only output working out of the gate.

I hooked it up to my PC Monitor ala DVI and off we went. Finished the build easily at that point.

Didn't think that the HDMI wasn't working out of the box. Just sort of thought everything was good to go without having to load the schtuff on the driver CD.

Cheers,
    gpearson1968

Thread Information