Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock z77 extreme4. Bios flash failure.

Default Asrock z77 extreme4. Bios flash failure.

Hey guys. after bouncing round forums for a few days reading up on and understanding my hardware, now its time to post my problems!
    While having a read about overclocking tips with the asrock board I saw someone mention "make sure you always update your bios!"
    so I thought "Ah! good idea, I've had no worries doing the windows flash in the past so ill do that."
    about 3 seconds after running, system reset... no clue what caused it as it has been running completely stable no matter what I throw at it.
    Anyway, this is quite an unsavory situation. No post beep or flicker on the screen, just powers up and sits there. Dr. Debug gives me an error F1 followed by F2 then just sits on that.
    Am I down to ordering a new bios chip/trying to get it programmed? Isn't there a backup with these? been using dual bios boards for so long I didn't even think they made single bios anymore!
    anyway, any ideas would be greatly appreciated, now I'm off to bed like I should have done 30 seconds before I attempted that.
    Thanks!
    TL;DR Bad flash, error F1, F2, any backups or anything?

Paul_Mac is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock z77 extreme4. Bios flash failure.

Hi Mate,
    I'm new to this UEFI bios and my manual only gives this cryptic sequence as a clue to what it's maybe searching for:
    0xF1 Recovery condition triggered by user (Forced recovery)
    0xF2 Recovery process started
    0xF3 Recovery firmware image is found
    0xF4 Recovery firmware image is loaded

Perhaps a copy of the bios vers. you saved before flashing?

Have you tried clearing the cmos?
    I'd try removing the power cord then the battery wait a few seconds then replace it and power up, maybe the UEFI will reload.
    Sorry I can't be more help,
    Cheers,
    Mac

Thanks for the reply mate. I tried using the clear cos button, but I suppose ill give it a more thorough go when I finish work.
    When I tried searching up the error code I couldn't find anyone with the same problem. only results Google gave me were people listing the codes and meanings, but I still don't understand what it means. is it trying to reload after a cmos clear? or is it attempting to restore the bios?

kraijeck is offline Junior Member

Hi
    I have problem after flash bios from 1.7 to 1.8

After completed , push enter and system restart.......

It just power up and no more, Fan still on, can open DVD , Debug show "00" ?, reset button not work, no signal Video on board (I didn't have Video Card Install)

Before, Flash bios 1.3 to 1.7 success with no problem

i7-2600k

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

I'm keeping an eye on this, still running bios 1.3. I didn't update to 1.7 cuz I saw issues someone had with that bios and the GTX 560 Ti from EVGA and they couldn't get it going until going back to bios 1.3.

I didn't even know 1.8 was out yet!

Gonna give the 1.8 a try this evening, I see it specifically addresses discrete GPU issues. Looks like they pulled 1.7

Paul_Mac is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRRacer View Post
    Gonna give the 1.8 a try this evening, I see it specifically addresses discrete GPU issues. Looks like they pulled 1.7
    I Flashed to 1.80 from the 1.3 my new board [Extreme 4] came with.
    When I install Catalyst 12.4 for my Gigabyte HD7770C card the system hangs on reboot with BSOD.
    I went to safe mode and deleted the AMD driver [regained a screen under the Intel 4000 graphics] and am now about to instal their Beta 12.6 drivers.
    Fingers crossed.
    Mac
    [I'm using my old Athlon to send this]

Edit:
    No luck, same result, HD7770C only recognised as a PCIe 2 card "with problems" when in Intel graphics.
    Deleted all the Catalyst programs, pulled the card, going with the Intel 4000 graphics for now.
    Can't waste any more time on this until later, system works perfect until I install the Catalyst drivers to activate the HD7770C.
    Hope AMD and ASRock are working on a solution.
    Cheers,
    Mac
    Last edited by Paul_Mac; 06-29-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Update

Quick update guys, after trying everything I can find I settled on the fact that asrock removed any hope of recovery because they couldn't fit it with the bios (honestly? Nothing!?)
    so I'm now waiting for a new chip I bought on ebay, comes with bios 1.8. Fingers crossed this will be the end of the problem.
    but now that I know that asrock doesn't support any kind of recovery other than a socketed chip, I'll think twice before I buy their brand in the future.

They've still got Discrete GPU issues with version 1.80

Earlier I updated from my 1.3 bios which is what my board shipped with, to 1.8. I tried to update the bios from the instant flash utility from a USB flash drive, but every time I selected the file, the screen would go black except for the mouse cursor. I could move the mouse cursor, and it was like using MS paint and erasing the black uncovering what was below, which was just the UEFI background, with the ASROCK at the top of the screen and the time bar at the bottom, and the time was stopped.

I ended up updating through the windows installer. After configuring my UEFI, I auto OC'd to 4.4, when I got to windows I ran the WEI and it locked up during the initial video card test. I set the auto OC to 4.2 and it completes the test, set it manually to 4.3 and it completed the test as well. set it to 4.4 and it locks up.

I had previously ran WEI with bios 1.30 up to auto OC 4.6 without issue. I reflashed the bios with 1.30 and am back to being able to complete WEI up to 4.6 OC setting. I've never tried anything higher than 4.6.

Guess I'll stay with 1.30 until they get this straightened out.

Paul_Mac, I've had various issues with 12.4 Catalyst with my ASRock A55M-HSV and the A8-3870K. I've got the best performance with the catalyst drivers install from the DVD that came with the board. I'm the type to want to stay current on drivers so I updated from the DVD drivers to 12.4, had some issues with the catalyst program itself and done a little digging and found the beta. Installed it, it was worse for me. So... I uninstalled and reinstalled the original version that came with my motherboard. I don't recall what that version was and I'm not at that PC to find at but will be sometime this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information