Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: x79 Extreme4 freezes when USB 3 is plugged in.

Izord is offline Junior Member

Default Re: x79 Extreme4 freezes when USB 3 is plugged in.

Big progress!

I got the 3.0 USB port working and now it recognizes USB 2.0 devices!

USB 3.0 legacy is still disabled, I read somewhere that is only useful for windows 98 and XP or something.

I think the ASmedia 3.0 root hub wasn't installing correctly.

I fixed it by downloading and running the first test program on this page: USB.org - SuperSpeed USB Tools There's lot's of instructions there and on the links in my previous post. To get it to work you have to hit F8 during boot to temporarily disable Device Driver Signing. Then install the tool. During installation there's a readme that says to download a file from that site and place it into the install folder. (lib directory)

Then when you run the test it temporarily installs a 'test host root hub' or something like that. After installing and uninstalling that, my Asmedia root hub showed up.

I ran the test for a USB 2.0 flash memory key and it passed, then I rebooted and now the port works.

I hope this helps someone figure it out if you're having problems.

Oh, you're right about the PCIE 3.0 not being supported and not USB 3.0, my mistake.
    Last edited by Izord; 06-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Izord is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    The newer ASMedia drivers are O.K. to install but flashing the firmware that if you read the fine print was designed for ASUS boards ASMedia chip may have caused a conflict with the ASRock UEFI/BIOS.
    Post back
    Where do you see that that firmware is only for ASUS boards? All I can see is that it's for the ASMedia chip that is on my board. It is also used on other boards from other companies, but the firmware is for the ASMedia ASM1042.

You flash it in DOS so the code goes directly to the ASM1042.

Quote Originally Posted by Izord View Post
    Where do you see that that firmware is only for ASUS boards? All I can see is that it's for the ASMedia chip that is on my board. It is also used on other boards from other companies, but the firmware is for the ASMedia ASM1042.

You flash it in DOS so the code goes directly to the ASM1042.
    I've owned X79-M for years and had minor, but continuous trouble with USB3 from day 1.

I mainly use the front ports, which all go to the same header, and while I would mainly use one port to connect an external to transfer files successfully, I observed some stability issues. Mainly, USB2 mice or trackpad on the C600/79 hub would get laggy. Very strange to me considering it is a different controller.

I just added an Anker USB3 hub and now getting lockups, after years of perfectly stable performance.

Also, if I upgrade to the newest ASMEDIA drivers the Hubs aren't recognized, but the drivers install fine and the ASMEDIA XCHI controllers show in DEvice Manager operating normally.

There is an extra USB 3 header on the motherboard. Maybe simply switching to that help? What's the low down on this? Disabling Legacy doesn't seem to be the cure-all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information