Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - How can I get HDMI to work?

Question ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - How can I get HDMI to work?

I cannot get HDMI to work at all. My HDMI-capable monitor displays a message something close to "Signal not found," or "Device not found."

I'm using the Intel corei5 (2500K) CPU onboard video. Everything works perfectly when I'm using DVI, but it's only a black screen with the message on it when attempting HDMI.

Suggestions appreciated.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - How can I get HDMI to work?

I don't know if this would help, but on my Asus monitor, I've had to cycle through the input on the monitor by pressing the input button to get it to recognize an HDMI signal, even though it was already on the HDMI input. This usually happens when I unplug one computer from it and plug in another, or I am hooked up through my AMP which is switch HDMI inputs for me. Doesn't do it all the time, but on occasion it will.

I tried again. And, even though my monitor searches and selects the kind of hook-up I have, such as DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc., it still said "No input...". So, I did something I normally don't do; I turned off power to the monitor, while Windows was running, then turned monitor back on, and it worked! It didn't work as I expected its "Auto-select" mode to work. And, I couldn't use your method because without a signal to the monitor, none of my monitor's options were illuminted. They weren't available to press manually.

But, thanks to your clues, it's now working in HDMI. But, I cannot find any info in Win 7 that 'shows me' any reference to current display mode, exept for things like resolution, etc. I'm curious to find somewhere where it actually acknowleges that it's in HDMI mode. Can't find it. HA HA. No big deal.

Thanks for your replies and help!!!
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Double check in your UEFI/BIOS under the NorthBridge Configuration Page that:
    1.Primary Graphics Adapter is set to Onboard
    2.Render Standby is Disabled
    3.IGD Multi-Monitor is Enabled

If after verifying/changin these settings you are still not getting output signal then try a different HDMI cable. Cycle thru the monitor presets as advised by CRRacer as the sync (handshake) signal needs to be refreshed.

Post back and let us know what luck you've had
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

SaphireX, I haven't done what you suggested, yet in the BIOS. I wanted to report something else that's happening now, even though I said earlier HDMI is now working.

The new problem is that after I shut-down my system, than started it back up again, Windows apparently forgot, or did not register the HDMI settings. As I had to do before, it only turns on the monitor AFTER I power it off, then back on again. That will never do.

I'm going to shutdown again, and look at the BIOS settings, as you suggested. BTW, I'm fairly certain that your #1 point is set to Onboard, since I have no other GPU in my system. I'll get back soon...

Quote Originally Posted by LECBOATER View Post
    SaphireX, I haven't done what you suggested, yet in the BIOS. I wanted to report something else that's happening now, even though I said earlier HDMI is now working.

The new problem is that after I shut-down my system, than started it back up again, Windows apparently forgot, or did not register the HDMI settings. As I had to do before, it only turns on the monitor AFTER I power it off, then back on again. That will never do.

I'm going to shutdown again, and look at the BIOS settings, as you suggested. BTW, I'm fairly certain that your #1 point is set to Onboard, since I have no other GPU in my system. I'll get back soon...
    Well, I opened my mouth and inserted my foot! I was wrong about the BIOS recognizing and auto-selecting the only GPU I have; Onboard video. Sorry. You were correct.

Although I changed the BIOS Northbridge settings as you suggested, I still have to switch off/on the monitor entering BIOS, and after leaving it to get a display.

I do not have an extra HDMI cable. This one I'm using was brand new, and never used. Also, I have cycled through the presets, but find no way to "select" any particular one, since my monitor apparently selects the appropriate input type, based upon the cable inserted between it and the computer. I'll try to find a pdf or something from Acer, since I no longer have the manual that came with the monitor. One thing after another! Ha ha. If all else fails, I can always switch my cable back to the DVI one; it works fine.

Side note: I've written this reply 3 different times, but this forum continues to lock-up my display. An error message pops-up at the bottom of my screen saying "This forum is not responding..." and, I have no control over my brower. Can't even click anything on the screen. I'm wondering if it's the 64-bit version of IE9 that is the cause on this forum. For days, it has always worked here with the 64-bit version. Anyway, I'm writing this using IE 9, 32-bit version.

Except for buying and trying a different new cable, I think I've decided to go back to using my DVI mode. It's works without any problems, and its color and clarity are much better than what I've seen in the HDMI mode. So, I want to thank each of you for helping. Maybe some day I will revisit this topic, and try again. BTW, Acer (online) did not have a User Manual to download, and there are no newer drivers for my model; not even one for use with Windows 7. Thanks everybody for helping me!!!

There is an HDMI "handshake"/sync that has to occur between your PC and the monitor and it sounds like maybe that is not working as it's supposed to.
    I use DVI and not HDMI and saw no advantage to using HDMI when I experimented...So stick with DVI !
    Switching gears yup the forum software is not to friendly with IE9 X64 and can freeze sometimes perhaps due to it's autosave scripts when typing in...

Now finish up on your last project to change the mode from IDE to AHCI and your "rig" should cause some of the young-pups to get jealous
    Ha!
    SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

As far as the forum locking up and you typing the message three times. I've experienced this a couple of times. Last time it did it, I just walked away and left it there saying it wasn't responding, I've done this twice now and both times after awhile, it will actually go ahead and post. It always does it to me after I post a first post per visit. It will do it to me again on my next post. I.E. this is my first post for this visit, so its going to work right, but should I post to another thread, it'll stall and take it's own sweet time.

BTW, I agree, I see no difference between HDMI and DVI. I primarily use HDMI if I the PC has that ability, mostly cause a lot of times I'll run DVI to my amp, and have the amp switch between PC inputs and out to a single monitor, that way I have sound through my receiver (AMP).

Conversly, when down stairs, I'll hook a PC up to the other Asus monitor with HDMI and another with DVI and just cycle between inputs to switch PC's, between doing that and simply inserting the Keyboard/mouse receiver in the front USB ports of the case, it's the best KVM I've had with no bulky cables everywhere!

Thread Information