Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

Yes, the tuner does work, but I don't like to mess with software settings when I can set the BIOS and forget it. You can always launch the tuner and it will read what the BIOS is set at. You never know when it'll have a software 'glitch', so I just use the BIOS only for OCing. Plus, in the BIOS I can see that the voltages are set to auto which makes me feel a little better about it adjusting the voltages properly according to what ever I set the multiplier too.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Default Re: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

My voltage setting is also on 'Auto'. That's reassuring. However, something strange happened a little while ago. Everything was fine, the computer was not running any applications, it was only at the Desktop. My next-door neighbor asked me to come over to his boat to help him with something, and I wasn't gone any longer than 20-30 min's. When I returned to my boat, my display screen was all black. I booted the computer up and as soon as it got to where it should have said "Starting Windows...", it said instead "Shutting down Windows". I tried a couple of times, but finally powered everything down. I had to go somewhere. When I returned and booted it up again, it was working. Sounds to me like something overheated, and my system shut itself off. I know that my power supply will protect my system automatically when heating or over-voltages occur. I have no way of knowing what caused the issue. So, I de-tuned my OC'ing CPU Ratio back down to x16 (the Default setting), using BIOS to do it. It's now running at that setting.

Question: When adjusting the CPU Ratio, is it advised to adjust the values so that they are multiples of "2" or "8"? For instance, just like RAM, in increments of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.? I'm wondering if that's the better way to do it. What if I set it to "32" instead of "44"? Does it make a difference? -- I'm just curious, since I had a problem that I've never had before. I hope you aren't tired of helping me. I think I'm almost done -- again. heh heh.

EDITED AFTER I REALIZED I FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING:
    Before I reset the setting to x16, my Tuner used to always toggle between 1600 and either 3200 or 3400 (I forgot exactly). Anyway, it no longer changes value from 1600. I loaded WoW again to see if running that game would cause a 'turbo mode' or something to kick in, for more processor speed... but, it never changed. That's something new. Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by LECBOATER; 07-10-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: I added something I forgot to mention earlier
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Try not using the tuner, and use the BIOS. Doesn't matter if you use multiplier by 2, 3, or 5 or whatever. From your temp readings, I'd say you had an issue with the tuner utility after the computer went to sleep and tried to wake up. When you hit apply in the tuner, I have no idea if the tuner automatically sets the voltage, there is nothing about auto in the tuner. When you hit apply in the tuner, it over rides the bios, that is why it was previsouly recommended to use the BIOS and not the tuner to over clock. I'd say start at around 40 or 42 and see how she goes, from the BIOS, not the tuner. If everything is fine, go higher if you desire.

Also, as I mentioned, I ran in to a problem with a certain BIOS version, 1.80, and overclocking with my GTX560ti. I went back to BIOS 1.3 (although 1.4 would have been ok), and have yet to have a single issue. This could have also been the case with yours. Might not be though, since you and I do not have the same board. However, I still say, don't use the tuner to OC.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

I won't use the ASRock Timing Utility because it appears to be just another error-prone, useless marketing hype to help sell their motherboards. If I do learn more about overclocking, I'll use the BIOS.

BTW, I changed my BIOS CPU setting back to "33" (instead of the "16" I mentioned earlier). 33 is the default, and it works fine, now.

I think that the fact that NOBODY from ASRock (itself) tried to help me, speaks very loudly about so-called 'customer support.' The rumor's I've heard about poor support may be true.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

I'd go ahead and put that 33 up to at least 40 and give it a go.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Quote Originally Posted by CRRacer View Post
    I'd go ahead and put that 33 up to at least 40 and give it a go.
    I might try that later after our local temperatures drop somewhat. It's supposed to get hot here today, so the ambient temp may push my CPU & MB temps too high.

Hey, CRRacer... got a question about the CPU-Z tool (CPUID). It is still showing the multiplier as 16, even though my BIOS is set at 33. Can you tell me why it doesn't match my BIOS setting?

Because your PC has the ability to idle down the clock to conserve power with the CPU. If you want to see what your max current CPU potential is, open CPUID and run WEI at the same time. You should see the multiplier fluctuate.

In other words, even though CPUID shows it running at 16x, when it needs it, such as game playing, it goes back up automatically.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

BTW, I really don't believe temps had anything to do with your earlier issue, I'm sure it was just the tuning utility getting messed up when your computer went to sleep.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information