Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

Question Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

I'm new to overclocking, so I'd like to know if there's a safe and easy way to gradually overclock the MB using the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (version 0.1.110)? My MB is an ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 and everything is at default settings now. I know ASUS has built-in safeguards to prevent catastrophy, but I don't know about this one. I merely want to experiment by overclocking in very small increments, then look at the CPU temperature between each adjustment. I have no idea which one(s) of those 8 or so values to use, or how to use them properly. Is there a fairly simple way to do it, without first getting a PHD in Computer Science? Your comments appreciated.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

amadino13 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

I tried to do it but you won't get very far. Do it from bios. Raise the CPU multiplier bit by bit and test if your system is stable using prime95. If its not stable give it more voltage. You also want to monitor the temperature by using core temp.

Default Re: Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?

Thank you for replying, but...

I went to the official website for Prime95 and read that I cannot merely download and use Prime95 as a stand-alone testing tool. In order to use it, they require that users also agree to run their GIMPS prime number searching tool (which stays resident and runs continuously on the user's system!). I don't give a hoot about searching for prime numbers, and more importantly, I don't want my computer running background programs, for their use. I'm hoping I misunderstood what I read.

The 'coretemp' program, when I began its installation, was trying to force upon me a dozen different garbage programs, which I unchecked as they appeared. The result of not accepting them caused my system to be 'stuck' with the "downloading..." process icon in my taskbar. I had to [CTRL/ALT/DEL] the process to get it to end. So, that's another example of somebody trying to "take over my computer." -- Sorry, but I can't use either of those bloated packages to merely look at my own system temperatures and parameters.

Their must be a simpler way, even if I have to pay a few bucks to get my own stand-alone utility without giving up personal info to Big Brother's "Cloud," etc.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Prime95 (64bit) - 25.11 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

I don't remember having to sign up for anything and you can just disable the ads when you install core temp. I think it's just ask toolbar or whatever. And prime95 is used to check whether your overclock is stable or not. You can pretty much use any CPU stress tools if you don't want to use prime95

Quote Originally Posted by amadino13 View Post
    Prime95 (64bit) - 25.11 Download - EXTREME Overclocking

I don't remember having to sign up for anything and you can just disable the ads when you install core temp. I think it's just ask toolbar or whatever. And prime95 is used to check whether your overclock is stable or not. You can pretty much use any CPU stress tools if you don't want to use prime95
    Thanks again for replying.

First, I just wanted to let you know that the link you provided offers a version '25.11' of Prime95 that is out of date. Your link goes to a website called extremeoverclocking .com. I went to Prime95's official site [http://www.mersenne.org/], where they provide their latest version: version 27. I'm referring to the 64-bit version. Here's the link to that one:
    Windows 7/Vista/XP/2008 64-bit: Download p95v277.win64.zip (4.6MB), version 27.7, last updated May 15, 2012.
    ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v277.win64.zip

In any event, just to use Prime95, users 'must' agree to using their "GIMP Prime Search" program.
    This latest version of prime95 has been optimized for Intel's new AVX instruction set. Owners of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs (Core i3/i5/i7 2xxx and 3xxx) will see a substantial performance boost.

Any modern personal computer with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, or FreeBSD can participate. The How it Works page answers many questions you may have before downloading the software. You must also agree to the GIMPS free software license.
    I understand that you are trying to help, but your suggestions have veered away from my topic, which was about the "Extreme Tuning Utility." I don't know why it's included with the MB if it's not able to do what it's supposed to do. It either works, or not. If not, it is a waste of time and shouldn't be promoted by ASRock. I'm just trying to find out if it does work, and how to use it.

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

I didn't bother with Prime. What I did was to search around and read of people over clocking their systems using the same CPU as mine on various boards (preferrably with the same chipsets, as well as try to find a few using the same mother board.

As previously mentioned, just set the clock multiplier. Most of the boards I've used have the ability to auto set everything else for you, you just raise the clock. In my case, on both the Extreme4 Z77 and the Asus Sabertooth Z77, I raised the multiplier to 44, both boards have the i7-2600k CPU. This gets me 4.4 GHz from each machine.

The Asus board also has the optimize overclock setting in which is seeks to find the optimum settings. I did that once, and it also changed the frequency to around 106 and change. I believe if I recall, that it optimized at around just under 4.4 GHz.

I've had both machines up to 4.6 GHz without any issues. I just choose to leave at 4.4. On both of my machine, anything under 4.0, and windows IE was 7.7 for the CPU. At 4.2 it raised to 7.8. It stays at 7.8 while running at 4.4 and 4.6GHz as well, so I just leave it at 4.4Ghz.

I just use my PC as normal to gauge whether it is stable for me. Watch the temps after or during various activities. Run some performance test (nothing like Prime95), play my usual games. I haven't tried anything higher than 4.6 GHZ for now. BTW, I see no significant temp differences in any of the settings I've used.

There is one thing I'll mention to be aware of. On my Z77 Extreme4, they have a BIOS issue. While searching I had found someone mention that they had issues with BIOS 1.70 and the GTX560Ti. This happens to be the same video card I have. This other user didn't get his issues straightened out until he went back to BIOS 1.40. Shortly after I got my board and system setup, they released BIOS 1.80, and it says better GPU BIOS compatabiltiy. So I upgraded my BIOS. After upgrading, I could not clock higher than 4.2GHz without the system locking up during the WEI re-run test. Needless to say, I went back to me original 1.30 BIOS and have had no issues. I won't be upgrading the BIOS in this board until I read of some solid reviews which will take some time to find after they release a new BIOS. I emailed ASRock about my ordeal, but I see 1.80 is still there. They completely removed 1.70 when they posted up 1.80, so I believe they knew there was something wrong with 1.70. I'm sure it won't be long and 1.80 will be gone as well.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Hi, CRRacer.

You wrote:
    I didn't bother with Prime. What I did was to search around and read of people over clocking their systems using the same CPU as mine on various boards (preferrably with the same chipsets, as well as try to find a few using the same mother board.
    This is exactly why I posted and named the Topic as I did. I figure that I can't be the only person who bought an ASRock MB like mine! But, nobody who has/had one has replied yet.

As previously mentioned, just set the clock multiplier. Most of the boards I've used have the ability to auto set everything else for you, you just raise the clock. In my case, on both the Extreme4 Z77 and the Asus Sabertooth Z77, I raised the multiplier to 44, both boards have the i7-2600k CPU. This gets me 4.4 GHz from each machine.
    Your last statement mentions setting the "multiplier" (amandino used the same word in his reply), but my ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility has no such term. Maybe you both are referring to one of the other parameters in this utility? [See attached image of the utility, below], then let me know which parameter corresponds to the one you are referring to. That will help me.

I'd also like to know how I should be prepared, just in case the system fails to boot, or whatever, after it encounters some issue. For instance, should I find then download the current BIOS for my system and save it onto my external HDD, or a CD? If my system won't boot, then how would I revert back to a workable BIOS, or will this current BIOS "protect" itself automatically against such things? I have no clue about such things; that's why I'm asking in advance.

I appreciate your reply!

Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?-axtu-overclocking-jpg

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

I do not mess with the ASRock tuning utility. I do have it installed and have used it on another ASRock board I have, but I find it best to just go in to the BIOS at bootup and adjust the over clock settings there, boot up and try it out. If your machine locks up, you can simply reboot and lower the clock setting or flash the bios back to defaults with the button on the I/O panel.

I didn't like the utility because the other board I used it on seemed to give some speradic behavior when adjusting the OC settings. Also while in the BIOS I set the CPU fan to auto, set the target temp to the lowest possible and set the target fan speed to 5. That gets me CPU fan to a level that I cannot hear, yet if the temps rise on the CPU, the fan speed increases as it needs.

I'll try to grab a screen shot when I get home and post up showing the BIOS clock multiplier that we are referring too, which in your utility screen shot is the CPU Ratio. If you really want to try out this utility from Windows, just leave the BLCK at 100 (you might be able to squeeze 106 out of it...), and raise your ratio up. You show you are using a 2500K processor so you are good to go. At that 16 ratio, your CPU is running at 1.6GHz. I don't recall right off hand what the base GHz is for your CPU, but I'd say go ahead and run that ratio up to 40 (I set mine to 44 in the BIOS and if I were doing it from this utility, I'd set it to 44 as well). The Ratio multiplies the BLCK and since that is set to 100 MHz, take your ratio times 100 and get your GHz.

Your's showing 16 would be an idle type setting, with no activity. You might run WEI with that ASR utility open as it is and see if your CPU fluctuate it's GHz during the process while on the Hardware Monitor tab. I would imagine it will. After you run it, set the ratio to 40, click apply and run WEI again. If you apply 40, it should stay at 4GHz throughout the test.

You might want to download CPUID. It's a neat little utility to identify your hardware and what things are running at. It's small and is only present when you launch it.

Just keep in mind that no matter what you clock to, windows is going to say your CPU is 3.4 GHz (or whatever the base is on that 2500k), but is running at your OC settings (as would be proved from noting that is the ASR utility or CPUID.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

You asked for a safe way of over clocking. We told you if you want to do it safely, just do it from bios. It's trial and error. You could follow the same steps in Extreme Utility but bios is much safer.

I tried it first using the Extreme Tuning Utility. I set the CPU Ratio to "44," as you suggested. Then looked at the BIOS, and it had the same exact settings that the Tuner used. I checked CPU temperature as I experimented (by running WoW game), and it was generally at 84F. I 'stressed' the game by increasing its activity, etc. in order to try to increase temperature, but it only maxed between 109F-113F. That last range of higher values happened only once, but it quickly (2 seconds) dropped down to under 90F, then even lower. My MB temperature always stayed around 82F. So, I presume these numbers all fall within a 'safe' zone?

By the way, I used CPU-Z and it also reported my multiplyer at x44, same as the BIOS. My WEI actually increased CPU Processing speed by '1'; it went from 7.5 to 7.6.

To me, it looks like the Tuner actually worked. Since this is probably all the help I need for this issue, I'm attaching one last screenshot. I would have also posted the WEI and CPU-Z screenshots, but I think this forum allows only 1-image per post?

So, if you notice anything out-of-whack with what I did, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep things the way they are.

I want to thank both of you for you patience and help!!

Is there an easy way to OC incrementally and safely with the Extreme Tuning Utility?-axtu-overclocked_to_4-4-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information