Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WOL works for standby, hibernation but not shutdown

Default WOL works for standby, hibernation but not shutdown

As I understand it, WOL works the same way for standby, hibernation and shutdown but at the moment I cannot wake from shutdown, which would be desirable.

MB is Asrock 890GX Pro 3 with Atheros 8151 network adapter. Windows update tells me I have the latest driver for the NIC. In Device Manager in the Atheros settings, "wake from shutdown" and wake from magic packet are enabled. The pc does wake from sleep and hibernation.

BTW, the power tab of the 1.40 bios no longer has the option "enable power on from pcie devices" that appeared in earlier versions of the bios.

Is there something I am overlooking?

TIA,
    Ron

Default Re: WOL works for standby, hibernation but not shutdown

It is working as intended. When you shutdown there is no power on the motherboard (just the CMOS battery which cannot feed the NIC). You should also note that the Windows driver is irrelevant in that scenario.
    Last edited by jfma; 07-16-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfma View Post
    It is working as intended. When you shutdown there is no power on the motherboard.
    I don't believe this correct. Firstly, in a state of hibernation the motherboard still has standby power which allows it to wake either from a keyboard press or from a WOL packet. When the pc is "soft powered off" from the start menu, it is still receiving standby power in order to start from either a keyboard press or a mouse click.

Now it is possible that the specific Atheros LAN chip in this board does not support WOL from shutdown (although the option is included in the driver) or that the Asrock board itself does not support WOL or that version 1.40 of the bios does not support wake from shutdown but that is what I am trying to determine.

In any event, some modern motherboards and NICs are capable of waking from shutdown so your blanket statement that "when you shutdown there is no power on the motherboard" cannot be correct. Have you ever looked at your motherboard when it is turned off from a soft shutdown? You will see a glowing green light indicating that the motherboard is on standby power. To completely power off the motherboard you must shutdown from the chassis power button or turn off the psu from its switch.

OK, depending on the motherboard you can keep power to certain devices even when shutdown. But that can only be configured in BIOS, it does not depend on the Windows driver, which only takes control when Windows loads.

Quote Originally Posted by jfma View Post
    OK, depending on the motherboard you can keep power to certain devices even when shutdown. But that can only be configured in BIOS, it does not depend on the Windows driver, which only takes control when Windows loads.
    I understand that it's a "problem" with either the bios or the NIC, which is why I'm asking the question in an Asrock MB forum and not a Windows forum.

I asked a similar question about the same 890GX Pro 3 MB on this forum and never got a single answer. I wanted to know why "Turbo UCC" seemed to be missing from my bios when it was promoted heavily by Asrock as a feature of the board. I later had a problem that required flashing the bios to an updated version. Lo and behold, there was a HUGE Turbo UCC logo on the Asrock splash screen and several other bios options had been added or deleted. One of them seems to be "power on by pcie device" because that option was enabled in the bios the board shipped with. Now it's possible that the board does not need that option in bios to WOL, at least so far as sleep and hibernate are concerned, or it's possible that option would be required to wake from shutdown. I'm not going to downgrade the bios just to find out.

With all due respect, I don't think anyone who isn't intimately familiar with Asrock's 400,000 MBs, bioses, and NICs will be able to answer this. It's possible that adding an Intel based NIC with Intel drivers would resolve the problem or maybe not if it's MB related.

Another example is the Etron USB 3.0 chip on this and many other boards. It just plain doesn't work. That's the answer. If you want USB 3.0 you buy a pci card with an NEC chip.

I'm probably going to have to give this up this same way I have USB 3.0 support. I'm 99% certain it's not something I've done or didn't do.

Thread Information