Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB 8 Dimms Ram

Question ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB 8 Dimms Ram

Gents,
    I'm finally decided to get the ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB for my workstation with the 3930K Processor
    I'm not planning to overclock the system as the temperature here in my country is high and i work on very complex CPU calculations.
    I even decided to get the rams with 1600 Mhz frequency.
    my problem is i do not understand the ram configurations, i.e in my country rams sold either single dimm, or 2 dimms or 4 dimms.
    if i populate the 8 dimms with 8 single dimms identical to each other, or 4 dual dimms identical to each other, or 2 quad dimms identical to each other.
    are there any problem that is going to happened?? please somebody explain this issue cause i'm stucked on that??

Unhappy Re: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB 8 Dimms Ram

Is it that complicated !!!!
    please help me .

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB 8 Dimms Ram

The quad channel X79 platform is a bit unusual, so many people may not know about it.

For best performance, you should put at least one DIMM in each of the four channels. Otherwise you are not using the full potential of your board.

The single or dual DIMM question depends on your CPU, but I would think dual DIMMs would work. Check your mother board manual.

What operating system are you using? Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit will support up to 16GB. If you need to use more memory than that, you need Windows 7 Pro. If you use a 32 bit OS, you can only use 4GB.

Four 2GB or 4GB DIMMs, single or dual, one in each channel, will work best, if you can only use 16GB of memory. Eight 1GB or 2GB DIMMs is not always better than that, unless your mother boards manual states that using all the slots gives better performance.

Every configuration you mentioned will work, but the two quad DIMMs would not perform as good as using all four channels.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The quad channel X79 platform is a bit unusual, so many people may not know about it. For best performance, you should put at least one DIMM in each of the four channels. Otherwise you are not using the full potential of your board. The single or dual DIMM question depends on your CPU, but I would think dual DIMMs would work. Check your mother board manual. What operating system are you using? Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit will support up to 16GB. If you need to use more memory than that, you need Windows 7 Pro. If you use a 32 bit OS, you can only use 4GB. Four 2GB or 4GB DIMMs, single or dual, one in each channel, will work best, if you can only use 16GB of memory. Eight 1GB or 2GB DIMMs is not always better than that, unless your mother boards manual states that using all the slots gives better performance. Every configuration you mentioned will work, but the two quad DIMMs would not perform as good as using all four channels.
    I am one of those who lacks knowledge. I'm curious about your statement. Suppose I'm installing 32GB of RAM using 4x8GB DIMMs. Are you suggesting that I should stagger the DIMMs such that every other slot is empty? On the board, it would look something like this (x=filled o=open) xoxo [cpu] xoxo Thanks

Yes, your example is correct, with one correction I will explain below.

Every DIMM slot on a board is not necessarily on a separate memory channel. Most boards have two DIMM slots per channel, as your board does.

Some X79 boards only have four DIMM slots, and since X79 boards have four/quad channel memory, those boards have one DIMM slot per channel.

Your four channel X79 board has two DIMM slots per channel. If you have four DIMM memory cards, you must put one card in every other DIMM slot, in order for each of the four channels to have a DIMM card in them. Your mother board manual will tell you which slot to use if you use one DIMM memory card per channel. When there are two DIMM slots per channel, you must use the primary DIMM slot if you use only one card per channel.

Your mother boards manual will show you which slots you should use depending on how many DIMM cards you will be using. If you don't use the correct slots, you won't have memory in every channel, and your memory speed will be less than it can be.

Usually, the pattern for filling the DIMM slots, using your example, will be OXOX CPU OXOX, but please check your manual to be sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, your example is correct, with one correction I will explain below. Every DIMM slot on a board is not necessarily on a separate memory channel. Most boards have two DIMM slots per channel, as your board does. Some X79 boards only have four DIMM slots, and since X79 boards have four/quad channel memory, those boards have one DIMM slot per channel. Your four channel X79 board has two DIMM slots per channel. If you have four DIMM memory cards, you must put one card in every other DIMM slot, in order for each of the four channels to have a DIMM card in them. Your mother board manual will tell you which slot to use if you use one DIMM memory card per channel. When there are two DIMM slots per channel, you must use the primary DIMM slot if you use only one card per channel. Your mother boards manual will show you which slots you should use depending on how many DIMM cards you will be using. If you don't use the correct slots, you won't have memory in every channel, and your memory speed will be less than it can be. Usually, the pattern for filling the DIMM slots, using your example, will be OXOX CPU OXOX, but please check your manual to be sure!!!
    Thank you for the information! For anybody finding this thread: In my manual, the recommendations are in section 2.3 on page 19. "Due to Intel CPU spec definition, please install the memory modules on DDR3_A1, DDR3_B1, DDR3_C1, DDR3_D1 for the first priority. If above four DDR3 DIMM slots are fully installed, and you want to use more than four memory modules, please install the other memory modules from left to right (from DDR3_A2, DDR3_B2, DDR3_D2, DDR3_C2)." Thanks again for the information.
    Last edited by frekayweird; 07-17-2012 at 03:54 AM.

thanks for the clarifications

but what i was asking for is: the memory types
    i heard people saying that the 4 or 8 dimms should be single kit
    what if i bought 8 single dimms but has the same specs latency, frequency ....
    and from the same manufacturer
    are there any problem and will they work with the advertised frequency ???
    for example: the famous XMP compatible ram kit from g.skil
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

the announced frequency for this 4 dimms kit is 2133.

what will happen if i bought 2 kits (4 + 4 dimms = 8 dimms)?

will it work stable with xmp profile setting which is 2133 frequency??

Quote Originally Posted by aelghattas View Post
    thanks for the clarifications

but what i was asking for is: the memory types
    i heard people saying that the 4 or 8 dimms should be single kit
    what if i bought 8 single dimms but has the same specs latency, frequency ....
    and from the same manufacturer
    are there any problem and will they work with the advertised frequency ???
    for example: the famous XMP compatible ram kit from g.skil
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

the announced frequency for this 4 dimms kit is 2133.

what will happen if i bought 2 kits (4 + 4 dimms = 8 dimms)?

will it work stable with xmp profile setting which is 2133 frequency??
    I understand now. Matching DIMMs in a kit can be important, even if all the other specs are the same. The more DIMMs that you use and the higher the frequency they operate at makes it more likely they should be matched.

No one can tell you that DIMMs from two or more kits/packages will work together fine, they might and they might not. I have combined DIMMs from two different kits and they worked fine, but that does not mean that will always happen. I can say that mixing two or more kits of memory will not always fail, but they might.

Buying two kits like you said will give you the best chance of not having a problem if you are mixing kits. Be sure to use the DIMMs from each kit together, on the same channel. If you mix the DIMMs in each channel, that is more likely to cause problems.

I hope the memory you added a link to is on your mother boards list of qualified memory. The latest mother boards are very strict about the memory they will work with, and even if the memory manufactures states they will work with X79/i7-3000 CPUs, I have found that they will not work all the time. Use the memory on your boards list to be sure.

Thread Information