Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme4 and Adaptec 5405? Or other SAS/SATA RAID Controllers?

Hollowpoint1911 is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme4 and Adaptec 5405? Or other SAS/SATA RAID Controllers?

Hi TweakTown,

I have a system built on the Z77 Extreme4 motherboard which I'm trying to run ESXi 5 on. Since the onboard RAID won't pass through, I'm finding myself in need of a ESXi 5 compatible RAID controller card. After a day of research, I've found that most SAS/SATA RAID cards don't like UEFI and in some cases they don't like the Z77 chipset (LSI cards).

Adaptec has stated that their cards aren't UEFI-compliant, but they say their cards should work so long as the motherboard supports legacy BIOS boot. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 has a option for PCI legacy boot, which makes me think I have a small chance at making this work. Before I go buy a $360 card to test (and then maybe pay 15% restocking), I wanted to check and see if there was anyone out there running a Z77 Extreme4 with Adaptec 5405.

If there are any others out there using the Z77 Extreme4 with a different brand SAS/SATA RAID card, I'd like to know what you're running as well! I've read through reviews that LSI MegaRAID doesn't like the Z77 chipset, but maybe Dell PERC works?

Thanks

Hollowpoint1911 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4 and Adaptec 5405? Or other SAS/SATA RAID Controllers?

Adaptec 5405 aside, is anyone using a hardware RAID controller with this motherboard?

Thread Information