Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - not detecting USB devices properly?

Question Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - not detecting USB devices properly?

Hey guys

I've got a strange issue with my new Z77 Fatal1ty board - whenever I plug my Canon 600D into the USB ports, it doesn't load the correct driver, so I can't download my photos off the camera. I'm running Windows 7 N edition, 64 bit - when I plug the camera into any USB port, Windows detects a Canon Digital Camera, but says the device driver was not installed properly. I contacted Canon, and they said it should just work with Windows without needing any drivers (in fact, they don't even supply drivers for it, as they're meant to be included in Windows). The camera worked fine on my last motherboard using this same OS, so it seems to be an ASRock issue. I've tried running Windows Update, using front/back USB ports, all to no avail? I've also had a few other USB devices such as thumbdrives, external HDs, etc having the exact same issue with this motherboard.

Is there a specific ASRock USB driver that will fix the issue? Anything else I can try?

Default Re: Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - not detecting USB devices properly?

Btw, here's a screenshot of my device manager, which seems to suggest my USB drivers for the mobo are installed correctly.Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - not detecting USB devices properly?-usbissue-jpg

parsec is offline Senior Member

Check if you have the Intel Management Engine software installed. You can download it from your boards page on ASR's web site.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Check if you have the Intel Management Engine software installed. You can download it from your boards page on ASR's web site.
    Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work. I installed the latest IME from the ASRock site after your suggestion, and rebooted my PC. Now when I plug in the camera, it doesn't even detect it. Instead Windows makes three low beeping noises in quick succession when the camera is plugged in, which is the sound effect used when a piece of hardware missing drivers is installed.

Any other ideas? Like I said, this camera works on every other PC I've tried it on. It's only since I upgraded my motherboard (with complete Windows reformat/reinstall) that I'm having USB device issues.

Quick update - Windows is detecting the camera, but is saying the drivers for this device are not installed. Here's the device manager screenshot:

Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - not detecting USB devices properly?-usbissue2-jpg

And another update :)

A found a thread that says the Canon drivers are included as part of Windows Media Player... which isn't included with Windows 7 N. I'm downloading it now to see if this solves the issue - apologies if I've wasted anybody's time!

BINGO! Problem solved! It was the lack of WMP that caused the problem. Thanks for your attention folks :)

Thread Information