Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New build gives six beeps, won't POST

RobertB is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New build gives six beeps, won't POST

The document that gives up-to-date info is AMI_Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_PUB.pdf. Asrock is sending a replacement BIOS chip. I have agreed that I will replace the chip as a test before sending the board. The truth is that my confidence in Asrock at this point is zero. And I'll probably buy a board from a different (unnamed) manufacturer just so I can short circuit the process of waiting for the Asrock board. If it comes to that I'll never buy Asrock products again because it is just not worth the hassle when something doesn't work. I always thought that if a component didn't work the first time it was used then it was considered a DOA and had to be replaced. Apparently that doesn't apply any more, at least not in this case
    Last edited by RobertB; 10-20-2012 at 08:43 AM.

i have probleme to flash Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 in bios 2.30.
    BEFOR My pc works normally with bios 2.20 AFTER bios 2.3 putting my pc smith more I am wrong 4f and after an error 59. I am 3bip twice ... what's the problem?

synack is offline Member

Sounds like a bad firmware flash. You will probably need to contact ASRock tech support for assistance.
    They will probably need to send you a new BIOS.

I would try to clear your cmos first, to see if that fixes it. But most likely the BIOS is no good anymore.

Syn

I clear cmos , not good. i have probleme

parsec is offline Senior Member

Well, in all the days you've been posting, waiting, and complaining, you still have not put in your system specs, or even mention the type of keyboard you are using. Have you tried another? What kind is it? The main moderator has not replied to you, since you have not provided the most basic information. Granted, the tech support in this forum from ASR is not the greatest.

Your memory is in the compatibility list, which is good. Have you cleared the CMOS/UEFI? Can you see what version you have, it's usually on a label on the CMOS chip.

I noticed you said you are using the display port video output, did you try another? I would go simple first, and then build from there. Like putting all 16GB of memory in on the first start, that's pushing it. You can't even get into the UEFI yet. The manuals for Z77 boards suggest using slots A2 and B2 with two DIMMs.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the PC Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Well, in all the days you've been posting, waiting, and complaining, you still have not put in your system specs, or even mention the type of keyboard you are using. Have you tried another? What kind is it? The main moderator has not replied to you, since you have not provided the most basic information. Granted, the tech support in this forum from ASR is not the greatest.

Your memory is in the compatibility list, which is good. Have you cleared the CMOS/UEFI? Can you see what version you have, it's usually on a label on the CMOS chip.

I noticed you said you are using the display port video output, did you try another? I would go simple first, and then build from there. Like putting all 16GB of memory in on the first start, that's pushing it. You can't even get into the UEFI yet. The manuals for Z77 boards suggest using slots A2 and B2 with two DIMMs.
    Sorry parsec, I was a bit remiss. Enough specs have now been posted to give a picture of the build at the time I started this thread. The keyboard was a basic usb keyboard (not relevant since I couldn't even get any video output from either the display port or hdmi) and I did try other keyboards.

I did try clearing the CMOS. A lot has happened since then. Asrock tech support finally contacted me and we agreed that they would send me a v1.03 BIOS chip. When I received it two weeks later I finally had a system that could POST and there was video output. The processor and all of the memory were detected without any problem. However there were still problems with the system:

1. When saving a setting in the BIOS the computer restarts itself about six times. If the process is interrupted by pushing the reset button, the setting isn’t saved.
    2. If a SATA hard drive or a SATA optical drive is connected , the system gets to A2 (IDE detect) and restarts itself repeatedly.

At that point I gave up (thinking that buying an Asrock board might have been a bad decision). I decided to cut my losses and not return the board until I had more information. I bought an ASUS P8Z77 WS mobo and some GSkill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL (4x4GB) memory to guarantee compatability and put the system together with the same i7 3770 processor. This system is rock-solid but it has it's own problem: the system shows Q-code 55 if memory is installed in DIMM A1 or A2 (all modules work in B1 and B2). Memory tuning and adding dimms one at a time makes no difference. Am I right in thinking that the memory doesn't operate in dual channel mode if there is no modules installed in the A slots?
    Last edited by RobertB; 10-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Sorry parsec, I was a bit remiss. Enough specs have now been posted to give a picture of the build at the time I started this thread.
    I think there was some confusion, as aminneh2 started a new thread inside of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the memory doesn't operate in dual channel mode if there is no modules installed in the A slots?
    Yes you are correct in thinking that.

Syn

parsec is offline Senior Member

synack, No, I was talking to RobertB. The new info helped, if only to dismiss the keyboard immediately. I thought that POST error you originally had was related to the keyboard.

Robert, Man, do you have the (bad) luck! The multiple POST thing I have seen myself a few times on my ASRock Z77 EX 4 boards (yes, two) but not to the point where the PC won't function normally. I have had good luck with my boards. I must say that I think your ASR board is screwy, I would either return it for another, or credit, etc. I wonder if you can flash the same UEFI version over the same one, and it will accept it. Or, if you build a PC with it again, after installing your drives, clear the CMOS and see how it goes.

Yes, the two channels are A and B, so no DIMMs in either A or B results in single channel operation. IF that G.SKILL memory is in the ASUS QVL list, it should work, if G.SKILL says it does but not ASUS, then I wonder.

You're right parsec, I think I've been jinxed. These are the first two boards that I've had that haven't worked. Maybe it's just a co-incidence, maybe not.

The memory in both cases is in the mobo QVL list and is recommended by G.Skill [F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL(XMP)(4x 4GB)]for the ASUS board and by Corsair [CML16GX3M4A1600C9(4x 4GB)] for the Asrock. I still need to swap the cpu to eliminate it as the cause of the problems with each board. I'll report when I've had a chance to try that, not hopeful though. My feeling is that the Asrock board is a lemon and I will end up returning it. But if that is the case then the ASUS board is also faulty and I either accept using only half the memory I purchased, in single channel mode or return it as well. What a pain in the rs(Aussie pronunciation).
    Last edited by RobertB; 10-20-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information