Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New build gives six beeps, won't POST

RobertB is offline Junior Member

Unhappy New build gives six beeps, won't POST

I have just put together a new build using an Asrock z77 Professional mobo, 16GB (4x4) Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9 RAM and Core i7 3770 processor. So far I have only connected 24 pin and 8 pin power and monitor (onboard display port), mouse and keyboard (USB2 ports). I havent installed any cards yet or any drives because the system refuses to start. It gives 6 beeps after showing 4F on the debug LED and then the LED displays 0d and the system halts. Nothing has been shown on the monitor. I have re-installed the CPU twice, restarted the computer numerous times with less memory modules and the result is always the same. I don't believe it's a problem with memory because if I start with no memory installed i get a 0x53 error (Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected). That suggests to me that even when all four modules are installed they are at least detected. The only reference I can find to six beeps is on an old AMI BIOS Beep Codes Guide dated 2007. The Asrock technical reference doc (TSD-QA84 (April, 2011). that gives the meaning of AMI UEFI BIOS Beep codes doesn't mention six beeps and it's only mention of 0d is an error condition: Without VGA card. For the first time in more than ten years of building computers I have a system that won't even start when first assembled. I really don't know where to go on this. Can anybody please help

morefiend is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New build gives six beeps, won't POST

Have you tried installing a video card? Maybe the onboard video was disabled by default...

According to this, it's a keyboard error...http://forums.pureoverclock.com/gene...eep-codes.html
    Last edited by morefiend; 08-06-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morefiend View Post
    Have you tried installing a video card? Maybe the onboard video was disabled by default...

According to this, it's a keyboard error...Motherboard Beep Codes
    Thanks for the reply morefriend. Yes I tried adding a video card when there wasn't any output from the onboard video. I'm not sure the information in "3935-motherboard-beeps-codes", which is dated 2008, applies to AMI UEFI BIOS. Asrock's own technical reference (TSD-QA84 (April, 2011)) gives this info:

Condition, Beeps Code, Debug Code
    Normal, 1 short beep after POST, With goodnight LED enabled, debug code will disappear after the beep.
    Bad CPU, No beep, No debug code
    Bad memory, No beep, 45
    Without memory, 3 long beeps, 53
    Without CPU, No beep(No Power), No debug code
    Without VGA card, 5 long beeps, Beeps at”d6”, then show “0d"

My system, 6 long beeps, Beeps at "4F", then show "0d"

There is no mention of six beeps. I hope you're right about the keyboard error because that will confirm it as a DOA. It's been two days now since I emailed Asrock regarding the problem and there hasn't been any reply yet (so much for the world of instant communication). This was the first time I tried an Asrock board (always been an ASUS man) and if I don't get some support from Asrock soon I will be again.
    Last edited by RobertB; 08-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Two days and a half days now since I started this thread and still no input from Asrock.

Has anyone seen that tech support person around here anywhere? I sure haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by bissoncurtis View Post
    It's been two days now since I emailed Asrock regarding the problem and there hasn't been any reply yet (so much for the world of instant communication). This was the first time I tried an Asrock board (always been an ASUS man) and if I don't get some support from Asrock soon I will be again.

Sorry, I can't see the pictures.

For those who are experiencing similar problems I have found this document: AMI_Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_PUB.pdf that should provide the answer. Due to the lack of support from Asrock I am now hoping that the reseller will provide a level of support that will help me determine whether I should be returning the motherboard as a DOA before the DOA period expires.
    Last edited by RobertB; 08-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Dear RobertB,

Sorry for my late reply.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Clear CMOS to try.
    2. Only install a stick memory to each DRAM slot by turns to check whether system boot.
    3. Re-install CPU and check whether CPU socket is fine.
    4. If possible, please kindly change another memory or CPU to check whether the system boot.

Thank you!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Dear RobertB,

Sorry for my late reply.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Clear CMOS to try.
    2. Only install a stick memory to each DRAM slot by turns to check whether system boot.
    3. Re-install CPU and check whether CPU socket is fine.
    4. If possible, please kindly change another memory or CPU to check whether the system boot.

Thank you!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily
    Thank you for replying Emily. I had already tried 1, 2 and 3. 4 is a little more difficult because I don't have a spare Core i7 processor or other memory (apart from some Kingston KTD-XPS730B/4G 1333MHz DDR3 used in current Dell systems which I have already tried). Is there no possibility that anybody at Asrock knows what six beeps at "4F", and then show "0d" is saying about the system?

A nice day to you too
    RobertB

morefiend is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Thanks for the reply morefriend. Yes I tried adding a video card when there wasn't any output from the onboard video. I'm not sure the information in "3935-motherboard-beeps-codes", which is dated 2008, applies to AMI UEFI BIOS. Asrock's own technical reference (TSD-QA84 (April, 2011)) gives this info:

Condition, Beeps Code, Debug Code
    Normal, 1 short beep after POST, With goodnight LED enabled, debug code will disappear after the beep.
    Bad CPU, No beep, No debug code
    Bad memory, No beep, 45
    Without memory, 3 long beeps, 53
    Without CPU, No beep(No Power), No debug code
    Without VGA card, 5 long beeps, Beeps atd6, then show 0d"

My system, 6 long beeps, Beeps at "4F", then show "0d"

There is no mention of six beeps. I hope you're right about the keyboard error because that will confirm it as a DOA. It's been two days now since I emailed Asrock regarding the problem and there hasn't been any reply yet (so much for the world of instant communication). This was the first time I tried an Asrock board (always been an ASUS man) and if I don't get some support from Asrock soon I will be again.

Yeah, I knew it was from 2008...but most of the time maufacturers still like to leave legacy things into new stuff...so here's hoping.

Have you tried hopping onto newegg and putting up a review? Don't know if you bought it from there, but I always see MF replying back to customer complaints...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information