Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Solution for Asrock BSOD on Extreme or Pro boards

Filrond is offline Junior Member

Post Solution for Asrock BSOD on Extreme or Pro boards

Extreme or Pro.

We have two boards:

*Mine. First P67 Extreme 4 B3 buyed on May 2011. BSODS FIRST DAYS.

8 Gb Gskill 1600 Mhz Ripjaws X (for problems Space with my big Cooler Zalman Extreme CNPSQ10 need change to 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 Mhz) , Ati 6870, Ocz Zx 1250W, Seagate 1 Tb 7200.12 with Windows 7 64 bits + Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and old Maxtor Serial Ata 200Gb with Installed Osx 10.7.0.4 Lion.

I investigated bios options: Option very suspect in Storage configurations: "Sata Aggressive link power management" ....
    Look on google in May 2011, a lot of people with BSOD with this option active on Bios.
    I disabled this option and never more BSOD.

*Now with my brother computer update:

He buyed Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3 with other I7-2600, 4Gb Kistong 2000 Mhz (in Sandybridge only work max at 1833 Mhz), Nox Urano II power supply, Geforce Gtx460, Ocz Vertex 4 SSd, Seagate 1Tb 7200.12 second hard disk, Windows 7 64 Bits Ultimate and Osx 10.8.0 Mountain Lion installed on SSd Vertex 4 Hard Disk.

Update bios to last, very nice options and improve great this motherboard. Disable ""Sata Aggressive link power management" .... NO BSODS.

Computers tested with Stability Tests: Aida 64 Stability Tests, Prime 95, CCOP Perestroika, Performance Test, 3DMarks all collection, Memtest... ALL TEST PAST, NO PROBLEMS, NO BSODS.

Greetings for all.

Default Re: Solution for Asrock BSOD on Extreme or Pro boards

Yup I discovered many moons ago that disabling "SATA Agressive Link Power MGMT" in the UEFI/BIOS was the solution to the freezing of my SSD where my OS is installed...Interesting correlation that you are drawing conclusions on in regards to BSOD's. I guess the key point is if you are buying an "EXTREME" or "PRO" board it makes no sense to employ some power management setting that seems contradictory to using a cutting-edge board to begin with...

Many Thanks for your observations and Solution :)
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Filrond is offline Junior Member

Cool Re: Solution for Asrock BSOD on Extreme or Pro boards

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    Yup I discovered many moons ago that disabling "SATA Agressive Link Power MGMT" in the UEFI/BIOS was the solution to the freezing of my SSD where my OS is installed...Interesting correlation that you are drawing conclusions on in regards to BSOD's. I guess the key point is if you are buying an "EXTREME" or "PRO" board it makes no sense to employ some power management setting that seems contradictory to using a cutting-edge board to begin with...

Many Thanks for your observations and Solution :)
    If yes time ago for this solution, I use in 2011 summer, but I read in posts in various forums people today with Bsod problems, look for solution.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...-received.html

In this forums and in other forums

In Computer with P67 Extreme 4, not use ssd, only use Seagate 1 Tb 7200 Hard Disk 7200.12 series and Old Maxtor 200 Gb Sata for Osx Lion installation.

Ssd Ocz Vertex 4 use only in Computer with Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3 ....

Yes ;) , buy Extreme - Pro for need investigate time for safe limit performance and configure bios for optimize stability.... Companies bad work and pure marketing.....

I need complete two tests days on Summer 2011 for found solution to BSOD problems... Asrock configure bios with this Option Enable in Default...

And now Usb 3.0...... I fight with Usb 3.0... with Asrock Drivers very bad performance and very slow Usb 3.0...

Finally Look for a driver new in Driverstation page. I found version 0.113 the last Etron version Usb 3.0 driver and now work very good.

Hard Disk Sata 1 Tb Seagate in External Case Usb 3.0 Tacens Vectrix II, (a lot of problems with this case in Usb 2.0 and in most Usb 3.0 devices), now with this Driver Etron 0.113 version Work, and Work with Tranfer Rate Stable on 50 Mb/s and 110 Mb/s on Init copy.

With Old drivers 0.96, 0.101, 0.105, 0.106, no work, Slow block Windows 7 64 Bits Ultimate, lost data, no Bsod, but freezes Windows for time and need wait a lot of time for system recover

Now I copy 416 Gb in 50 minutes-1 Hour... is no bad.

Sorry for my poor English

Ps... In Mac Osx Lion, Mountain and Snow Leopard, Etron Usb 3.0 work very fine and fast with driver build by mac avanced users...... is a joke.....

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Solution for Asrock BSOD on Extreme or Pro boards

The first time I saw the Aggressive Link Power Management option in my Z77 Ex 4 boards UEFI, which was when I was setting it up to install Windows 7, I knew I should disable it. I haven't had any problems with my SSDs and BSODs. Although SSDs usually don't use much power, they are sensitive to having it reduced or removed. Also, HDDs use 12V and 5V power, while SSDs only use the 5V rail, so power saving features designed for HDDs won't work with SSDs, which is really not a surprise.

Samsung provides a program to support and maintain their SSDs. One feature is the OS tuning option, which disables the usual things not needed or are bad for SSDs, like defrag, Superfetch and Prefetch. It also has a special power profile that can be applied to a PC. I enabled it, and while I could not see any setting changes in the usual Windows Power settings, it does something that Samsung knows should be done for SSDs.

I really can't understand the need for that option, and since what it does is not explained, I can't trust it.

Thread Information