Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme 6

Babdi is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme 6

Update
    Ordered G skill sniper 1866,32 Gb RAM.
    Speed is the limit

Installed 1866 32 GB G-skill sniper RAM, Oced to 2133. Check AIDA bench mark
    Attached Images Attached Images Z77 Extreme 6-aida-screen-shot-jpg 
    Speed is the limit

parsec is offline Senior Member

Great, and are you comparing your scores with the ones on the left? If so, what category are the results on the left for? Do you know what memory speed was used for the results on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by Babdi View Post
    I am wondering why you chose extreme 4 over extreme 6. The later has 2 PCI slots (just in case if we have to go for a SLI ) Firewire support and back panel CMOS clear button.The cost here in dollars is ~ $175 for extreme 4 and $218 for extreme 6, a mere 40$ difference.
    Quite simple actually, I ruined a socket 775 board I was using, and wanted a replacement, but did not want to spend the money on an expensive board.

A local PC retailer, Micro Center, had one of their usual deals, the ASR Z77 EX 4 for $90 when purchased with an i5-3570K for $190. So the total for both was $280. Quite a deal, and I'm not lying about the prices.

The EX 4 has the CMOS clear button on the back panel too. Firewire does not matter to me, I have it on other PCs, but I don't have any devices that use it.

Notice the speed in the screen shot against memory type. it runs at 2134 Mhz.
    One more thing, my memory shows 31.9 GB usable. Why does it shows so. It used to show full memory with AMD rig. Is it because XMP ?
    Speed is the limit

Yes nice memory speed, most memory will only run at its rated speed, and no more. There really are some new very high speed types of memory coming out, Corsair has one that is rated at 3000

The 31.9 GB useable display, I don't know, what is showing that? What does Windows or the UEFI show for memory size?

XMP (really XMP data) is just an extension of the JEDEC memory settings, designed by Intel. It does not use up memory, XMP data is stored in the SPD data area, which is not used by the PC as memory.

XMP data is used to store the fastest memory settings the manufacture states the memory can achieve. But to make sure that high speed memory will work on more PCs, or the first time you put it in your PC, the default memory settings are slower, just to be safe, so the PC will always start. Then to make it simple to get the memory running at its highest speed, you can select XMP in the BIOS, and the board will use those settings for the memory, instead of the slower default settings. If a PC cannot work at the higher speed and BSODs, it will switch back to the default speed settings. Less trouble for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post

The 31.9 GB useable display, I don't know, what is showing that? What does Windows or the UEFI show for memory size?

XMP (really XMP data) is just an extension of the JEDEC memory settings, designed by Intel. It does not use up memory, XMP data is stored in the SPD data area, which is not used by the PC as memory.
    It is seen in when clicked Computer > Properties. It shows full 32 GB during boot up and in UEFI
    Speed is the limit

It might be because you have the maximum amount of memory your board can use, 32 GB.

What does Windows Resource Monitor show in the Memory tab?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It might be because you have the maximum amount of memory your board can use, 32 GB.

What does Windows Resource Monitor show in the Memory tab?
    It was showing 15.9 GB when I was using 16GB
    Checked,shows 32 GB
    Speed is the limit

That's good, must have been a memory leak earlier...

It could be worse, someone posted about why they only saw 3GB out of 8GB installed... (32 bit Windows... )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information