Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC will not boot from CD

JimR is offline Junior Member

Default re: New PC will not boot from CD

OK ... I got all the drivers from my motherboard CD on a USB and installed everything. I also updated the BIOS to version 1.50 (most current). All the Other Devices are gone in Device Manager (resolved as I understand it).
    And the drive will not open with either the button on the drive or via Win7?!

I see the drive, Win7 thinks the drive is fine and has the most current drivers. The BIOS shows the drive and it is enabled and listed as the second boot device.

I tried the paperclip in the release hole and the tray comes out just as easy as the drive on my old PC (IDE) but that didn't make any magic happen. I took out the latch and both screws but still no eject. When I try to open the drive via Win7 the lisght on the drive is lit for 3-4 minutes and then Windows displays displays an error message that there was an error ejecting the drive.

I even tried a Microsoft FixIt tool ... it tries to open the drive and can't but thinks it is open.

It turns out this was a power issue. I have a Corsair cx430 psu ... one everyone said is a good brand, good quality and more than enough for a pc with one lightweight video card (maybe, running i5-2500K right now with integrated graphics). The psu has two wire bundles that each have two SATA power connectors.

These four connectors run a SSD and HDD just fine ... so I assumed they would run a CD/DVD just fine as well. After having no luck with three drives I went to the local pc store to get a molex to SATA adapter ... and they had a bunch of used drives. I bring home a CD drive, plug it in to the SATA power and the drive opens ... and my Samsung doesn't.

I plug the Samsung in to the molex power with the adapter ... and it works! It seems like the SATA power off the psu is not enough to pop the tray in the new drive ... but the molex is?!

So ... an easy answer that took two weeks to figure out ... crazy.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New PC will not boot from CD

That is weird, or maybe not. It is a single rail 12V @ 28Amp supply, which is not very powerful. I have read comments on this PS that the SATA power connectors were defective in some cases, they would not plug in correctly. Perhaps you had this and that caused a bad connection. Or the Samsung's connector did not connect well with the Corsair plug.

Were you using anything on the molex cable? If not, there was no load on it. Was the DVD drive originally at the end of the SATA power cable? The other drives could have been limiting power to it.

The SATA power connector has 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails, each uses three connection points on the plug, because they are so small. The molex connector has 12V and 5V, and the pins are much bigger. There is no special limit put on the molex cable and connectors, or the SATA cable and connectors, although I would bet you could put more current through the molex connector than a SATA power connector.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information