Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XFastUSB Windows hang or timeout during installs, updates, backups, restore points

AbsoluteJoe is offline Junior Member

Angry XFastUSB Windows hang or timeout during installs, updates, backups, restore points

I just spent several days diagnosing a serious problem with Windows 7 hangs or timeouts during installs, updates, backups, or taking restore points. The issue suddenly occurred on my Asrock Extreme4-M system that had been running without any problems for several months.

The problem was related the windows volume shadow service hanging or timing out. I tried all the 'normal' Microsoft fixes for this issue without success.

I was finally able to locate a post about problems related to XFastUSB causing random hangs while scanning or accessing USB devices that could only be fixed by uninstalling XFastUSB.

Sure enough, uninstalling XFastUSB fixed the volume shadow copy timeout issues. Note that just exiting the XFastUSB task bar icon will not fix the issue, it must be uninstalled.

It seems to me, after observing too many issues related to XFastUSB bugs, that its development quality control was lacking.

Unless you really love the performance boost that XFastUSB may provide, I recommend uninstalling it until these serious bugs are really fixed.
    Last edited by AbsoluteJoe; 08-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Babdi is offline Junior Member

Default Re: XFastUSB Windows hang or timeout during installs, updates, backups, restore points

Are you talking about front panel USB access. If yes then the front panel usb has to be ported to USB 3 in MB. I have never had probs so far.
    Speed is the limit

Default Re: XFastUSB Windows hang or timeout during installs, updates, backups, restore points

Same experience on a 890FX Deluxe 5 board, although not as dramatically. I would not recommend XFAst either. Just tried it and quickly uninstalled it completely with an uninstaller programme. It definitely slows up the recognition of USB devices!

Note: I still use XP, but this makes no difference...

AbsoluteJoe is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Babdi View Post
    Are you talking about front panel USB access. If yes then the front panel usb has to be ported to USB 3 in MB. I have never had probs so far.
    Babdi,

The issue was not a problem with USB 1, 2, 3 port access (although having to re-plug a USB device to get XFastUSB to access it properly is annoying), but rather with timeouts and failures during Windows Volume Shadow Copy functions (setting restore points during program or driver installs, taking backups, etc). This issue occurred after XFastUSB had been installed for several months without causing any noticeable problems. This Volume Shadow Copy timeout problem is severe since it makes rolling back to a prior restore point impossible.

I don't want to get too technical but here is what I observed:

The XFastUSB filter driver issue seems to cause certain Windows USB access functions, such as the ones used by the Volume Shadow Copy service, to hang even if no USB device is currently connected. By default, Volume Shadow Copy will retry its device access operations 10 times every 30 seconds (10x30 = 300 seconds) before timing out. The result is that any Windows function that uses Volume Shadow Copy, such as setting a Restore Point or taking a backup copy, appears to hang for over 15 minutes. This timeout is fatal during a backup and/or causes long delays during installs that attempt to setup a restore point. Uninstalling XFastUSB and rebooting immediately fixed the Volume Shadow Copy timeout issues.

I do see that folks have reported other USB access problems related to enabling the legacy USB BIOS settings, and/or some other USB 3 issues, that are unrelated to this XFastUSB Volume Shadow Copy timeout issue.

thanks for this post, a nasty bug. how it works is unclear
    uninstalling XFastUSB seems to have done the trick. what a time sink though
    sadly from your post this bug is still there a year later with XFast USB releases by the millions probably
    last ASRock for me

Papang is offline Junior Member

I don't see the benefit of having XFastUSB as it apparently only works with external drives, which I don't have, so.... heave-ho!

Great post cuz it is good to know.

Cheers

Thread Information