Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ERP/EUP Asrock / Corsair Problem

Default ERP/EUP Asrock / Corsair Problem

Hi all, I have a problem with ERP\EUP technology.
    I posses the following stuff:

MB: ASRock > 880G Extreme3
    PS: Builder Series

Both component have ERP\EUP certification.
    This certification should ensure a power corruption equal or less than a 1W when the computer is off.

Corsair Builder CX430 V2 430 W Review | techPowerUp

As you can see from this REVIEW, the power supply works with ERP standard. I am not able to find the same result for this MB.

I found this official video from Asrock: X58 Extreme - Worldwide First EuP Ready Motherboard! - YouTube

I sent some question but I never got back an answer.

I have a Desktop computer I use remotely. Most of the time it has to stay off or standby to be ready the few time I need it. This is the reason why I want the most power saving system possibile.

During my tests i Discover it uses 30W when the pc is off! Checking with the right tools (not professionals) I discovered that I use 0.13A with a 224V line.

Between 4W and 30W we have 26W! A lot for a poweroff system!

I'm wondering if I make some mistake! Like I need to set something in the BIOS or some "bridges" on the motherboard.

Thanks for your help!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ERP/EUP Asrock / Corsair Problem

A power supply is not completely off unless the PS switch is off, of course.

For EuP to be active on your board, you must enable it in the BIOS, unless it is enabled by default.

A PC that is shutdown still has the PC supply power to the mother board, so you can at least turn it on. How much power depends on the board and if some other things are active.

The network chip is usually kept on. You might be able to shut it off if you disable "Wake On LAN" in the BIOS. If you disable the network chip, it won't work at all, so don't do that.

Your board might keep some or all of the USB ports supplied with power, so you can charge phones, etc, or use the keyboard or mouse to turn on or wake the PC from Sleep. You can check your BIOS to see if you can turn that off. If you installed any "quick charging" software on your board, that may cause it to use more power, even when off.

If the PC is in Sleep mode (Standby you called it?), the RAM memory is supplied power because the state of the PC when it was put to Sleep is stored in the RAM memory. Memory does not get power when the PC is shutdown.

Did you check the power to the PC with ONLY the power supply plugged into your power meter, and nothing else?

Default Re: ERP/EUP Asrock / Corsair Problem

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    A power supply is not completely off unless the PS switch is off, of course.

For EuP to be active on your board, you must enable it in the BIOS, unless it is enabled by default.

A PC that is shutdown still has the PC supply power to the mother board, so you can at least turn it on. How much power depends on the board and if some other things are active.

The network chip is usually kept on. You might be able to shut it off if you disable "Wake On LAN" in the BIOS. If you disable the network chip, it won't work at all, so don't do that.

Your board might keep some or all of the USB ports supplied with power, so you can charge phones, etc, or use the keyboard or mouse to turn on or wake the PC from Sleep. You can check your BIOS to see if you can turn that off. If you installed any "quick charging" software on your board, that may cause it to use more power, even when off.

If the PC is in Sleep mode (Standby you called it?), the RAM memory is supplied power because the state of the PC when it was put to Sleep is stored in the RAM memory. Memory does not get power when the PC is shutdown.

Did you check the power to the PC with ONLY the power supply plugged into your power meter, and nothing else?
    I'm going to make all test next weekend, when i'm gonna have my pc in front of me! :) mean while maybe give me all "test" i should do! so i can do them in only one day. I'm used to come home once month. So Only one try at month!

Thread Information