Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock P67 Extreme4 (1st gen) and Intel Core i7-3960X

FlyingToaster is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock P67 Extreme4 (1st gen) and Intel Core i7-3960X

I have a 1st-gen ASRock P67-Extreme4 motherboard (P67 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.), and today I updated its BIOS to version 3.10 for the added support for Intel's newer Ivy Bridge processors. My CPU is a 2nd-generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core i7-2600, and now that BIOS 3.10 includes support for Intel's newer Ivy Bridge processors, I'm considering buying an i7-3960X (Extreme Edition) Ivy Bridge processor for my system. However, I don't see that processor in the list of supported processors for this board. Does anyone know if the i7-3960X works in this board, even if it's not "officially" supported?
    Last edited by FlyingToaster; 09-02-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Consistency in terms

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock P67 Extreme4 (1st gen) and Intel Core i7-3960X

You seem to be confused. Your current board and CPU is a socket 1155 system. The i7-3960X is a socket 2011 CPU, and the two are incompatible physically, etc., as well as being a Sandy Bridge generation CPU.

The highest performance Ivy Bridge CPU for a socket 1155 system is the i7-3770K.

FlyingToaster is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock P67 Extreme4 (1st gen) and Intel Core i7-3960X

I hadn't looked at the 3960X details close enough.. You're right. Nevermind, nothing to see here, move along..

Thread Information