Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Desperate for a clue!

JimR is offline Junior Member

Default Desperate for a clue!

I have a bunch of parts that look like a PC but for some reason the CD/DVD drive will not work?! I am on the third drive and none will open with the button ... when I try to eject the tray with Win7 I get an error message that reads "An error occurred while ejecting 'DVD RW Drive (D:)'.

When I'm looking at Device Manager I see a section labeled Other Devices and there are five things listed, all of them have a yellow icon (exclaimation point) ... they are:
    > Ethernet Controller
    > PCI Simple Communications Controller
    > SM Bus Controller
    > Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    > Unknown Device

I tried uninstalling these things and updating hardware ... they come back the same way. I tried uninstalling and rebooting, they still come back.

I have tried the Samsung SH-222BB drive, the ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive (over 1000 people liked it on newegg) and an HP drive from Best BUY. All drives behave the same way.

I have tried the SATA cables that came with the drives (3) plus the two that run my SSD and HDD drives (they work great except when plugged in to the CD/DVD). I have tried all four SATA ports on the mobo ... and the two SATA3 ports that run the SSD and HDD drives just fine. The power connections have all been tried, they run the SSD, HDD and light the LEDs on the CD/DVD drives.

I had to load Win7 using a USB drive (which worked great) because I could not get past this.
    The PC has a ASRock Z77 Pro3 mobo, a Corsair CX430 PSU and all the other parts appear to be working just fine.

I'm just out of ideas on how to get past this so I can install updates to the mobo and such. Maybe that is the issue but I don't know how to get past this.

And everyone said any drive will do, you don't really use it anyway.

Default Re: Desperate for a clue!

seems a very strange issue,all dvd drives should be plug and play,tried different sata ports? in ahci or ide mode? tried both modes to see if it cures it?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bios gives me three choices for the SATA Mode ... IDE, AHCI and RAID ... everything tells me ACHI is the right choice, specifically if I have a single SSD.

The SATA Controllers are enabled as well, SATA Aggressive Link Power Managerment is disabled.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The problems in Device Manager usually are caused by missing or corrupted drivers. Since you don't have a functioning optical drive, you need to go to your boards Download page, select your OS version and download the required drivers, since you did not mention doing that. But you seem to have a problem with your Ethernet controller, can you connect to the Internet with that PC? You could download the drivers on the PC you used to post this thread, copy them to a USB drive, and use that to install the drivers on that PC.

Have you ever seen the optical drives in the BIOS? I've seen a thread or two in this forum about non-functioning optical drives, which as was said, should be plug and play. Are you sure there is power going to the optical drives?

Your board has the add on ASMedia SATA chipset, whose ports are the two at the top of the stack of SATA ports when the board is mounted in a case. Don't use those for the optical drives, they should be connected to one of the ports at the bottom.

Seemingly strange issue, I've used two different optical drives for OS installation on the Z77 EX 4 boards, (Sony and LG) which worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The problems in Device Manager usually are caused by missing or corrupted drivers. Since you don't have a functioning optical drive, you need to go to your boards Download page, select your OS version and download the required drivers, since you did not mention doing that. But you seem to have a problem with your Ethernet controller, can you connect to the Internet with that PC? You could download the drivers on the PC you used to post this thread, copy them to a USB drive, and use that to install the drivers on that PC.

Have you ever seen the optical drives in the BIOS? I've seen a thread or two in this forum about non-functioning optical drives, which as was said, should be plug and play. Are you sure there is power going to the optical drives?

Your board has the add on ASMedia SATA chipset, whose ports are the two at the top of the stack of SATA ports when the board is mounted in a case. Don't use those for the optical drives, they should be connected to one of the ports at the bottom.

Seemingly strange issue, I've used two different optical drives for OS installation on the Z77 EX 4 boards, (Sony and LG) which worked fine.
    The board has six SATA ports to connect SATA cables to. 0 and 1 are the SATA3 connections, 2-5 are "regular". Three optical drives will not work with any of the ports. When I move the connections around I check the BIOS and each time it shows the drive connected to the right port on the board.

I have Win7 on my USB drive that I installed from. The board came with a CD ... would copying the contents of the CD to the USB and installing them make sense?

At this point I think there are two possibilities ... the Device Manager conflicts are the cause of my issues or the board is bad.

windows 7 should find/install all needed drivers for you,the dvd drive should work before you install additional drivers from asrock cd or website,just to rule out motherboard cd driver issue
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

wazza, given the first post it looks like his network controller is not working. On my ASR board using the Broadcom network chip, it would not function until I installed its driver, so apparently Win 7 does not have a driver for it.

JImR, yes you could copy files from the disk to a USB drive, but simply copying the entire disk might not work, since the disks Autorun might not be run when the USB drive is inserted. Then again, the files would be there but you'd just need to find the installation program for each driver, or whatever method you prefer to load drivers.

Here is a crazy thought ... the CD/DVD drive did not work from the very beginning so I installed Win7 from a USB drive (stick, not optical). At the point of install I'm not sure if the CD/DVD was connected. Is it possible this is the source of my issues?

Would it make sense to connect the drive, see it in the BIOS and then re-install Win7? If so, I installed on a SSD (Agility3) ... would I do a fresh install or just a re-install?

Thread Information