Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 990FX Extreme4 and UEFI questions

Default Re: 990FX Extreme4 and UEFI questions

Can I assume enabling and disabling this UEFI is solely within the BIOS? I plan on using Win7, but I would rather stick with tried & true Awards (or Megatrends) BIOS.

Shiari is offline Member

Win 7 supports fast boot too, though not ultra fast boot. But that only works with UEFI, and you need a clean install (for GPT partitioning rather than MBR). I can't think of a reason why you'd want to use regular BIOS over UEFI though.

As to what you need to do to switch between "BIOS" and "UEFI", I don't know.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    Well, I can't find a CSM setting to dis- or enable : ... maybe my system knows it isn't needed? ... oh and the UEFI startup screen with the ASRock logo changed to a higher resolution when I enabled (ultra?) fast boot, which is really what I think reveals the compatibility of the 770.
    The CSM option is at the bottom of the Boot screen. Here's what happened, when Fast Boot is set to Ultra Fast, the CSM option disappears... and is most likely disabled, which enables UEFI booting. If you change Fast Boot to disabled, CSM will appear.

It sounds like your '770 is GOP compatible, and it sounds like you are UEFI booting. My ASR Z77 board's UEFI did not act like our Z87 board's UEFI is, IIRC. Setting Ultra Fast on the Z77 board did not remove the CSM option.

For a test, set Fast Boot to disabled, and then watch the CSM option appear. Set CSM to disabled, and don't change Fast Boot, leave it on disabled. Save and Exit, and see what happens. Let us know how different the start/boot time is without using Ultra Fast.

Yikes, double post!!
    Last edited by parsec; 08-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    Can I assume enabling and disabling this UEFI is solely within the BIOS? I plan on using Win7, but I would rather stick with tried & true Awards (or Megatrends) BIOS.
    Short answer, you cannot change to a standard BIOS firmware, or a classic BIOS style user interface.

A BIOS or UEFI are a mother board's firmware, a board has either one or the other. IF a manufacture provided both types of firmware, and they could be loaded by choice, then you could choose to use BIOS firmware. Gigabyte might have some boards that provide both options, IIRC.

The graphical, mouse capable user interface is a feature that UEFI firmware provides. BIOS firmware cannot do this. BIOS firmware is limited to one MB of space, so can literally run out of space for the BIOS option code, which may require fewer available options than UEFI firmware. That limit also restricts the number of option ROMs that can be stored on the board's firmware chip, which can limit the number of add on cards used in a PC.

There is nothing to fear about UEFI firmware, it has been used for several years now, even if the only feature it provides that was actually used is the GUI type interface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information