Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 970 Extreme4 need UEFI setup manual

Trompette is offline Junior Member

Default 970 Extreme4 need UEFI setup manual

Hello,

I have been a while on the Internet to find a manual for the UEFI setup utility.
    Nothing found even in the Asrock web site.

Please don't tell me to read the user manual, I did it:
    Extract:
    "SATA IDE Combined Mode
    This item is for SATA3_5 and eSATA3 ports. Use this item to enable or disable SATA IDE combined mode. The default value is [Enabled]."

To sum up: SATA IDE Combined Mode = Use this item to enable or disable SATA IDE combined mode => Many thanks

Is there a Asrock support agent with more information?
    I need so far info on
    Storage configuration
    AMD AHCI BIOS ROM [Enable/Disable]
    SATA IDE Combined Mode [Enable/Disable]
    Aggressive Link Power Management [Enable/Disable]
    In each SATA3 interface
    External SATA port [Enable/Disable]

Thank you for your help

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 970 Extreme4 need UEFI setup manual

Quote Originally Posted by Trompette View Post
    Hello,

I have been a while on the Internet to find a manual for the UEFI setup utility.
    Nothing found even in the Asrock web site.

Please don't tell me to read the user manual, I did it:
    Extract:
    "SATA IDE Combined Mode
    This item is for SATA3_5 and eSATA3 ports. Use this item to enable or disable SATA IDE combined mode. The default value is [Enabled]."

To sum up: SATA IDE Combined Mode = Use this item to enable or disable SATA IDE combined mode => Many thanks

Is there a Asrock support agent with more information?
    I need so far info on
    Storage configuration
    AMD AHCI BIOS ROM [Enable/Disable]
    SATA IDE Combined Mode [Enable/Disable]
    Aggressive Link Power Management [Enable/Disable]
    In each SATA3 interface
    External SATA port [Enable/Disable]

Thank you for your help
    AMD AHCI BIOS ROM: ENABLE. May not be critical, just turns on and off the display of a screen that runs during POST that may offer more options. With a SSD, always use AHCI.

SATA IDE Combined Mode: Typical weird AMD thing, I say DISABLE.

Aggressive Link Power Management: DISABLE with a SSD!

In each SATA3 interface
    External SATA port: DISABLE if it is not connected to a eSATA port on your case, that's all it is for.

No other manual exists, check AMDs website for more info if you need it.

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> First answer after reading on Internet: SATA IDE Combined Mode

From here #2 corkyg
    This is another case of technical terminology being lost in the translation and corrupted by numbies. SATA is Serial ATA. PATA is parallel ATA. Both are Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) designs. That means that the drive electronics are contained on the drive's printed circuit card. When SATA became popular and the standard, the older PATA drives were erroneously called "IDE."
    In the document attached I think there is this vocabulary error.

From here #2 Paperdoc
    I presume your question focuses on how to set the BIOS Setup option for SATA Port Mode (as my system calls it). Options usually are: IDE (or PATA) Emulation; SATA; AHCI; or, RAID. In fact, AHCI is the true type of device for a SATA HDD.
    So, let's review the possible options for installation of XP.

1. You forget the true AHCI nature of SATA devices (and the need to install drivers) and use the work-around that the BIOS contains. You set the SATA Port Mode to IDE (or PATA) Emulation, and the BIOS makes that port and its HDD appear to be only a plain old IDE device which XP fully understands. When you Install, you do NOT need to install ANY extra driver from floppy - XP will find and use the (apparent) IDE drive. BUT this means you do not get to take advantage of some extra features of the new SATA (AHCI) drive system.

2. You do want the new advantages. So you set the SATA Port Mode to SATA or, better yet, to AHCI. Now when you go to install XP, you WILL have to install drivers for that device type from floppy via the F6 key routine you already know. But remember, the driver needed is for an AHCI device, not a RAID device. However, I realize that some mobo makers create confusion here because they bundle both AHCI (or SATA) and RAID drivers into ONE driver they call "RAID" and that's the driver you get to install from floppy. So in your case, check the manual for your mobo and its accompanying CD of utilities, etc to be sure which way you have to proceed. Are AHCI and RAID all together in one driver? Or, is there a separate AHCI (or SATA) driver (NOT the RAID driver) you need to install from floppy? Either way, you still have to set the SATA Port Mode to SATA or, better yet, AHCI.

3. You actually do plan to install to a RAID array consisting of at least two HDD's and boot from that. This process has an extra step. First, you set the SATA Port Mode to RAID and ensure you have BOTH HDD's installed. Get out the instructions for how to create and manage your RAID array. Save and Exit from BIOS Setup, and the machine will reboot. Now, watch the screen carefully for a prompt to enter the RAID Setup and Management routines - usually with a particular key like CTRL-A or whatever your system uses. Within this system you specify which HDD's actually are assigned to a particular RAID array (any not specifically assigned are left as NON-RAID drives), what type of RAID array you are creating, some setup parameters, etc, and finally you tell it to go ahead and Create the RAID array. This step basically Partitions and Formats the HDD's. When done you can back out of the Management screens and let it finish the boot sequence. If you do NOT have your XP Install disk in the optical drive, it will simply fail to boot because there is no disk with an OS. If your XP Install disk is in place, you will now begin the Install and will need to use the F6 - floppy process to install the RAID drivers. But NOW you actually do have an established RAID array for Win XP Install to find, and it should go ahead.
    As I understand, this is mainly for compatibility with Windows.

From the attached document:
    The IDE Controller of SB700 supports up to 2 channels. Each channel can support up to 2 ATA/ATAPI devices as well.
    In the old computers, there were 2 channels with 2 ATA devices on each = total 4 connectors and 4 devices.

In SATA IDE Combined Mode, 2 channels are both available. In this mode, the Port 4 and Port 5 of SATA controller will be combined into IDE control as Primary or Secondary channel.
    In the IDE Combined Mode, 2 channels (4 possible devices) are available but only 2 connectors are available, so ...

AMD SB700 IDE controller has only one PATA channel which supports 2 ATA/ATAPI devices. While in SATA Combine Mode, two SATA ports (port 4 and port5) are combined into one IDE channel (could be either Primary or Secondary channel) to IDE (PATA) controller. Therefore, IDE controller will have 2 channels (one PATA and one SATA) in SATA Combine Mode.
    Conclusion:
    If you don't have a compatibility issue with the OS you use, “SATA PATA Combine Mode” should be disable.
    If you have a compatibility issue with the OS, “SATA PATA Combine Mode” should be enable and you can use port 4 and port 5 to boot on.

Do you agree with that?<script id="FoxLingoJs">!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function (){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadysta techange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s) ;}catch(ex){}}();</script>

AMD Document:

AMD SB700 IDE Driver for Windows

AMD_IDE.pdf
    <script id="FoxLingoJs">!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function (){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadysta techange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s) ;}catch(ex){}}();</script>

Second answer: Aggressive Link Power Management

From here:
    <script id="FoxLingoJs">!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function (){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadysta techange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s) ;}catch(ex){}}();</script>
    Aggressive Link Power Management (ALPM) is a power-saving technique that helps the disk save power by setting a SATA link to the disk to a low-power setting during idle time (that is when there is no I/O). ALPM automatically sets the SATA link back to an active power state once I/O requests are queued to that link.

ALPM has three modes:
    min_power
    medium_power
    max_performance
    We don't know witch mode is active when enable.

1 - SSD has a lower power than HDD and use only 5 volts.
    2 - I use Ubuntu
    Ubuntu has the ability to use ALPM but it it disabled by default since it can cause data loss on some machines.
    3 - I use a desktop

Conclusion : I disable ALPM

Do you agree with that?

I'm not an AMD user, so have no experience with their... unusual SATA options, Intel has nothing like that at all. I'd say your analysis is correct.

We sure don't know which ALPM mode is used, but that may be controlled automatically. What worries me about ALPM is that is was likely designed for HDDs, that use both 12V and 5V power, and possibly 3.3V power too. Some SSD users have issues with "disappearing" SSDs, which means when they are the OS drive, the PC acts like the power was removed from the SSD. The PC locks up, and on a restart, the SSD is still not found by the BIOS. IMO, power saving options designed for HDDs that are then used with SSDs is the cause of many issues users have with SSDs, particularly in laptops. SSDs use very little power, but are also not instant on devices, they take a few seconds to wake up. If the option actually drops the SATA data link to a SSD, that is asking for trouble. There is no reason to limit power to a SSD.

Disable ALPM, that is what I do, yes I agree.

Third answer: AMD AHCI BIOS ROM

In fact there is no answer. After reading a huge quantity of web sites and posts, nobody know what is AMD AHCI BIOS ROM.
    Some say to enable it, some say to disable it but nobody knows what it is.

Just I can say it is not only a display at the boot, like some say because of this link (look the customer review)
    Card works with a catch
    By Sidney Ford from Manchester, New Hampshire on June 7, 2012

For AMD users you may have to enable AMD AHCI BIOS ROM in your BIOS for this to work properly in Windows. I read it online, did it, and no problems since then.
    and this link (look By SpeedingCheetah (St. Louis Park, MN))
    OK.....HERE IS THE SOLUTION TO THE FREEZING!!!!!!!!

I then ENABLED..."AMD AHCI BIOS ROM"......BAM!.... Windows boots fine with drives attached. This card works perfectly now!

By enabling that option, upon boot-up, I first see this cards post screen, then AMD'S AHCI Post screen showing all my internal drives, then the MB Post screen, then Staring Windows.
    So, is there a ASRock support engineer to explain what is "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM"?

Many thanks

The "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" is actually easy to explain. Otherwise known as an Option ROM, or OROM, it is code that is stored with the BIOS/UEFI, that either provides some control of a boards chipset, or the chipset used on an add-on RAID card, for example. Enabling that in your BIOS/UEFI will cause a simple user interface to appear during POST, and if you press certain keys while it is displayed (possibly Ctrl A in this case), the POST process will stop, and you can then configure whatever that OROM controls via the UI.

In this case there might be some options for the AMD SATA chipset when used in AHCI mode that can be configured. Some OROMs will simply display information on the screen, such as what drives are connected to that interface, and don't allow any configuration. The most common type of OROM is for configuring RAID volumes, if the boards chipset supports RAID, and the SATA mode is set to RAID, and the RAID driver is installed, etc. If you don't press the correct keys when the OROM UI is displayed, it will disappear, and POST will continue. The OROM UI will be displayed each time the PC goes through its POST and boot sequence. If this option is disabled in the BIOS/UEFI, the OROM UI will not be displayed during POST.

Some AMD SATA chipsets (in contrast to Intel) allow individual control of the SATA ports (more or less), and if that is not provided in the BIOS/UEFI, it can be done with the OROM UI. I'm not an expert on the fine details of AMD SATA chipsets, but I believe you can set one or more ports to IDE mode, and others to AHCI mode, for example. It also seems, given what you found and what I've read about using AMD SATA chipsets, that simply enabling it causes things to work or be activated. I've seen things in forum posts elsewhere about enabling the AMD RAID OROM to fix certain issues. It doesn't hurt anything to have this option enabled, except for a few extra seconds added to the length of the POST process. Your boards AMD AHCI BIOS ROM may allow some configuration, or could be just display only, you'll need to try it to find out.

Thread Information