Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock X79 Extreme11 Underperforming (3dmark11)

walktexranga is offline Junior Member

Question Asrock X79 Extreme11 Underperforming (3dmark11)

Hi Guys,

i7-3930K @4.6ghz (auto oc but set volts to 1.4 manually)
    Asrock X79 Extreme11 Motherboard
    32gig Corsair Dominator (8x4) @ 1866mhz
    2 x Intel 520 Series 480GB SSD RAID 0
    3 x AMD 7970 Gigabyte Overclocked (Latest AMD drivers)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

3dmark11: AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,ASRock X79 Extreme11 score: P13943 3DMarks

VERY low physics score.. should be 12k+ got same score with cpu not overclocked..

- CPU runs fine in IntelBurnTest, holds its clocks and hits like 55c max.
    - Hyper-Threading is on
    - Ram is in Quad-Channel ram, timings are loose for now but shouldnt be causing this much grief
    - Windows see's all 12 cpu's and msconfig doesnt have any CPU's limited
    - All 3 GPU's @ 100% in Furmark dont hit over 50c
    - Latest BIOS flashed

Also my South bridge fan is almost always on is this normal? its very loud!

Cheers

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock X79 Extreme11 Underperforming (3dmark11)

Curious, and hard to say what's the problem.

Really a long shot, but do you have the CPU power saving options like SpeedStep or C-States enabled? I've seen other high performance CPU systems that, due to their abilities, stay at the lower CPU clock speeds when other CPUs would have switched to their normal or Turbo speeds. Benchmarks that were not specifically testing the CPU did not put enough load on them, and that dragged down the score elsewhere.

DirectX 11 software installed?

Also, I'm surprised by your AIDA64 memory score, with quad channel memory, and you seem to be in quad channel mode. The read, write, and copy speeds seem rather low IMO. For example, check post #12 in this link, which is for a Z77 board with dual channel memory:

Z77 Extreme 6

Yes that memory was running at 2133, but how can that make that much difference compared to 1866, and with half the channels? I have similar memory scores to those in that post, on a Z77 board with dual channel memory at 1866, read speeds of ~21000 MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Curious, and hard to say what's the problem.

Really a long shot, but do you have the CPU power saving options like SpeedStep or C-States enabled? I've seen other high performance CPU systems that, due to their abilities, stay at the lower CPU clock speeds when other CPUs would have switched to their normal or Turbo speeds. Benchmarks that were not specifically testing the CPU did not put enough load on them, and that dragged down the score elsewhere.

DirectX 11 software installed?

Also, I'm surprised by your AIDA64 memory score, with quad channel memory, and you seem to be in quad channel mode. The read, write, and copy speeds seem rather low IMO. For example, check post #12 in this link, which is for a Z77 board with dual channel memory:

Z77 Extreme 6

Yes that memory was running at 2133, but how can that make that much difference compared to 1866, and with half the channels? I have similar memory scores to those in that post, on a Z77 board with dual channel memory at 1866, read speeds of ~21000 MB/s.
    Hi mate, yeah same result with speed step etc off 4600mhz held the entire time.

Directx 11 appears to be installed according to dxdiag.

I think it's a ram issue and will try with two sticks at a time and let you know how I go.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by walktexranga View Post
    Hi mate, yeah same result with speed step etc off 4600mhz held the entire time.

Directx 11 appears to be installed according to dxdiag.

I think it's a ram issue and will try with two sticks at a time and let you know how I go.

Cheers
    okay so when I removed 1 x 16 gig kit (4x4) PC ran fine.. got 15,000 physics score in 3dmark.. tried that kit in another PC it worked fine.. put it back in this PC slows down again? any ideas?

Hmm, good question. Did you check the boards manual about which DIMM slots to use when using two DIMMs? You can't just put them in anywhere when you don't fill all the DIMM slots.

Are you sure your memory is listed in the memory compatibility list for your board? Not only the model number, but speed and size and type (ie, single sided or double sided). Check that list closely.

Hmm, good question. Did you check the boards manual about which DIMM slots to use when using two DIMMs? You can't just put them in anywhere when you don't fill all the DIMM slots.

Are you sure your memory is listed in the memory compatibility list for your board? Not only the model number, but speed and size and type (ie, single sided or double sided). Check that list closely.
    I did check manual ive only ever run 4 or 8 dims.

ive tried intelburntest on the ram on maximum in another PC so it used all the ram and seemed fine, but ill try memtest tonight.

Odd thing is the 16gig kit of ram seems to function perfectly in another PC, but soon as goes back into this PC it slows it down/unstable.

Ill try running just the kit in the PC and see if it doesnt boot again, maybe it worked in the other pc as it ran it @ like 1333mhz instead of 2133mhz.

The ram is NOT on the QVL, I thought that was more marketing BS.

There's your answer, the RAM is not in the QVL. This is a very common issue with newer mother boards. Not marketing BS at all, it is a harsh reality. For some reason, any of the last few generations of Intel CPUs, with the memory controller on the CPU, are very picky about the memory used with the board. I assume that is partially due to the BIOS, and other unknown factors. BTW, in my experience, ASRock boards are more forgiving about memory compatibility than other brands of boards, and with the latter, the PC would not even boot with non-qualified memory.

The ONLY memory I've ever seen and used that you can just throw in a PC and it will just work is the latest Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US. Or study that QVL list and get something listed there. If one model of memory works on one board, but not on another, that is just how it is and really tells us nothing.

There's your answer, the RAM is not in the QVL. This is a very common issue with newer mother boards. Not marketing BS at all, it is a harsh reality. For some reason, any of the last few generations of Intel CPUs, with the memory controller on the CPU, are very picky about the memory used with the board. I assume that is partially due to the BIOS, and other unknown factors. BTW, in my experience, ASRock boards are more forgiving about memory compatibility than other brands of boards, and with the latter, the PC would not even boot with non-qualified memory.

The ONLY memory I've ever seen and used that you can just throw in a PC and it will just work is the latest Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US. Or study that QVL list and get something listed there. If one model of memory works on one board, but not on another, that is just how it is and really tells us nothing.
    So why does 1 of the 16gig kits work 100% @ 2133mhz tight timings and 1 kit (exact same specs) not work by self, yet works (slowly and unstable) alongside the good kit?

I would think if not compatible neither kits would work at all?

edit: Ok I tried both kits alone (4x4) and they worked fine.. so its 1 of 2 things..

1) Incompatible ram when all 8 slots are populated
    2) 1 or more of ram slots on motherboard are faulty (1 of the 4 you populate when you use > 4 sticks of ram.

Cheers

edit: seems pc is ok now @ 1833mhz, prime95's and IBT's easily & performs as it should.. maybe some of the ram doesnt like 2133mhz but meh 1833mhz is fine.

Moral of story, get QVL memory.
    Last edited by walktexranga; 09-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thread Information