Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASRock Z75 Pro3 CPU throttle problems

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z75 Pro3 CPU throttle problems

Ok, sounds good, that makes sense. As I recalll when Sandy Bridge CPUs first came out, Intel had set limits for how long the CPU would stay at the higher Turbo multiplier speed, for thermal and possibly power usage reasons. That applied to any multiplier over the stock speed. Mother board manufactures had access to those settings, which could be changed, and set to "infinite", which means the time limit of the higher multiplier could be turned off.

It seems that on this board, the time limit was not turned off, and the update you mentioned fixed that. The time limit on this board might have been intentional, to make the higher priced boards worth their price. Or maybe the CPU power regulators were not thought to be strong enough, or cooled enough, to maintain constant high CPU multipliers. Just guessing, and I imagine ASR will contact you pretty soon.

Grim Wrath is offline Junior Member

Here's an update, they replied, stating that a MOSFET overheat might be the cause of the throttling. However, my motherboard sensors maxed around 73C. I'm wondering if that's the limit for the MOSFET or if its still a mobo firmware issue. I gave them a reply explaining my results and asking about the temp limit on the MOSFETs. Also asked for that special fw if they have it <.<. Here's the screenie a second or two right after the throttle occured.

Will update once I get another reply.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Are you sure that 73C temperature reading is the MOSFET voltage regulators (VR)? I don't know myself, just asking. I did mention earlier the four phase (four VRs) main CPU power regulation on your board as a possible issue. My Z77 Ex 4 board has eight phase CPU power regulation, and is still considered a budget oriented board. Boards with 12, 16, 20 and more VRs (one new one has 32) are there for a reason. The VRs on your board have a heatsink, can you get some extra cooling on it to lower the temp?

If you get that FW, you may being using it at your own risk...

I do have one other potential setting change, if you have it set up like this, that may help. When you set the CPU multiplier, do you use "Per Core", or "All Cores"? I've read that on some boards, when multipliers are set Per Core, or individually, they tend to throttle sooner on most of the cores, as in three out of four in your case. That is related to how Intel intended "stock" Turbo multipliers to work, ie, one core could maintain a higher multiplier while other would not. Just a thought.

More thoughts, do your PS have a four or eight pin CPU power cable/plug? If just the four pin, your board may be starved for current/power under higher loads, depending on how the eight pin motherboard connector is connected to the board circuitry.

In recent review of Z75 pro3 became clear that 2500K can run at maximum 4400Mhz offset -0.025V without throttling.

I suggest you do the same. Z77 Xtreme4 also throttled. it has to do with VRM temperature threshold set too low in early bioses or in hardware.

Less VRM phases means lower efficiency and more heat and with heat efficiency drops even more. 4+1 VRM compared to 8+2.

The 4 pin connector is posing the risk of melting the connector with 150 watt cpu under the Linpack load.

So precautions are set in place by asrock... No bios update should or could fix what lacks in hardware.

1155 cpus are compatible but really this Z77/Z75 is meant for Ivy bridge a cpu < 100 watts overclocked.

example:

lets take the base minimum overclock to be 2500K 1.2V 4.0Ghz that results around 100 watts under linpack11 or prime95 v27

So 4.4Ghz how much? you reckon?

1.32 volts needed for 4.4Ghz means you have 10% increase in voltage and 10% increase in clock.

power dissipated by a circuit increases with the square of the voltage applied.

How much? 100*(1.1*1.1)*1.1 results 33% increase in power consumption ~ 135 watts.

and so on. 20% overclock with 20% increase of voltage gives 100*(1.2*1.2)*1.2 ~ 175 watts.

take it to 5Ghz and consumption doubles and motherboard burns.. hope the +1Ghz was worth it.

Asrock should send you a 8+2 VRM motherboard instead. not a bios fix since yours is only able of 135 watts and you seem to be willing a little more than that. the 4500Mhz mark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information