Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X79 Extreme 9 - Memtest with 8 Dimms (1600Mhz / 1866Mhz)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme 9 - Memtest with 8 Dimms (1600Mhz / 1866Mhz)

According to his system specs, it was Corsair XMS, but that's rather general.

GunnzAkimbo is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PunkNugget View Post
    What company and model number did you go with for the RAM? Thanks...
    Im here, the forum has been down for a while, so couldnt do anything.

It's Corsair CMX12GX3M3A2000C9.
    They are triple channel kits, as i had to keep this memory to use on this x79 mobo.
    Its working fine, i regularly fill the ram, and can prime95 the whole lot without errors.

I gave it a run at 2133mhz but got errors about 30minutes into memtest. going to try higher timings at 2133. Ive seen some kits at 13-13-13-35 timings so i will give that a shot.

Thanks for finally getting back to us, but actually the site was up for quite some time before it went down for that short period, but hey, I understand you're busy too and are only contributing your thoughts and testing as you don't have to do that. I appreciate guys like you anyway, because you force me to do my own homework. Here's what I've been able to find out...

I too used the same Corsair XMS3 RAM and had the same issues as well as the low profile that generated a ton of heat, as there was no heatsink to dissipate, well.. the heat. I then went with Corsair Dominator GT (Red Top) RAM (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9), thinking that it would be better. I was wrong on that one too. Sure the high heatsinks kept them luke-warm, but the sticks didn't match, as I purchased 4 of the same kits to use a total of 48GB. So after MemTest86 I had issues with one of the sticks of Dominator GT's. The tech guy at Corsair said as a result of them not "matching" (even though they were the same kits), they did NOT come from ONE kit. So he suggested for me to buy the 64 GB kit, because they didn't have a 48GB kit. So I saw the price and - WHOA !!! Are you kidding ?!?! I eventually went with this RAM:

993991 - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-16000 9-11-9-27 Blackline

I got 3 x 16GB kits and spoke to Mike Conn and he said that although they sell them separately, THEY ALL MATCH !!! Because:

1) They are made HERE in the USA, in a controlled facility where they make a certain amount of RAM at one time. Which means ALL of the IC's that they use in those batches of RAM they produce match. You can purchase 2, 3, 4, etc. kits at one time without any worries because they all match.

2) They are far less in cost comparatively and also am a reseller which helped some $$$ wise even more.

Mind you the Mushkin #993991 RAM was for my SR-2 mobo build setup. For your X79 mobo setup though, if you're wanting to go higher (i.e.; Quad Channel, PC3 17000, 2133MHz, 1.65V), then I'd go with this RAM:

GSkill RipJawsZ 32GB RAM - F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

Even though there are only a few boards that have been tested and approved with this RAM at least this set works. Mushkin is working (right now) on the a similar setup, but I've not heard back from anyone yet. I'll be reaching out to them again sometime this week with an answer hopefully. But again, I'd go with what has been tested and works with the G-Skill link that I gave you. I hope that I've been of some help on this topic as well... Later...
    Last edited by PunkNugget; 10-02-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    THE HACKINBEAST = EVGA SR-2/2xX5690's/Sapphire 4890 2GB GPU/48GB Mushkin 2000MHz RAM/LEPA G1600 PSU/Silverstone TJ11 Case / Geekbench Score: 36,583 / Cinebench 11.5: OpenGL: 50.63 fps, CPU: 22.55

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PunkNugget View Post
    I got 3 x 16GB kits and spoke to Mike Conn and he said that although they sell them separately, THEY ALL MATCH !!! Because:

1) They are made HERE in the USA, in a controlled facility where they make a certain amount of RAM at one time. Which means ALL of the IC's that they use in those batches of RAM they produce match. You can purchase 2, 3, 4, etc. kits at one time without any worries because they all match...
    The keyword in your post is BATCH, IMO. Yes, individual kits from the same batch/run of a model of memory will work together, unless the manufacture mixes up the memory chips on purpose to force you into buying a matched set. Buy the kits at one time from a high volume retailer, and they most likely will work together (I received two identical kits from the 'Egg that were made a month before I got them!)

But, buy one kit and then another six months later, will they work? Much less likely. Therein lies the problem.

Well i know what ya mean buy not getting a 4x kit for x79, but the ram is working fine in it's mixed config.

10-10-10-30 is the timings i have settled at for a while now, and i have prime95 about 28GB worth without any errors popping up.

if i was going to get new ram, it would be something along the lines of 2666mhz, 32GB and see how high it can be set, more of a proper step up then a shuffle in speed.

Ram now at 10-10-10-28, getting 51ns latency, better benchmarks and with the cpu @ 4ghz no volt changes, better memory bandwidth.

Those timings are sitting around original rated timings of 9-10-9-27 so best result so far with 8 sticks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information