Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z77 Pro3 with Gigabyte 7870 OC problem

Maarsch is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Pro3 with Gigabyte 7870 OC problem

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    PCI-e 1.0 x16 spec is 4GB/sec or 40GT/s

gigabyte hd 7870 oc (1100Mhz) transfer rate= 4.4GB/s

So you will lose .4GB/s of peak transfer. does that matter to you? You will most likely never reach that... but in theory you could.
    (mainly with large texture change loading)
    It shouldn't affect frame rate in any games currently out there.

I would however find out if there is a firmware update for your video card. It seems to me, 90% of the time, the problem is fixed with an updated revision video card.
    Remember that PCI-E 3.0 is still fairly new and the kinks are still being worked out.

Syn
    I've just loaded the final encounter of SC2 on full detail etc and I'm getting 45-65 FPS when the shells are falling. I was getting 80+ when the card was in the PCIe2.0 slot. I'm putting the card back in PCIe2.0 for comparative screenshot.
    That is a major fps drop for the loss of just 10% of its peak transfer rate.

But according to your math I should gain full functionality if I just put it back in the PCIe2.0 slot then?
    I had seen tomshardware posts on PCIe3 cards in PCIe2 slots and I know that current performance isn't really affected by it, but for future proofing I wanted the PCIe3 on PCIe3 connection in case people start to code for that transfer rate. But you're saying that will never matter?

Got the latest driver for the video card as well, not sure whether there is new firmware. Or where to find it for that matter.

I'm not keen on sending my motherboard back. All my stuff is connected to it.

synack is offline Member

Yep PCIe 2.0 should give you full speed. (8 GB/sec max)

It surprises me to see a ~25% drop in frame rate. There must me something else in play. Most of the processing should happen on the video card itself not across the BUS.
    When you say 80+ FPS in a 2.0 slot, is that in the same motherboard? or another system?

Do you have the video card overclocked higher than the 1100Mhz? even 1200Mhz would up the max transfer rate to 4.8GB/s (and make a 20% difference)

If you have the option of Gen2 (which I have on mine) or a 16x pci-e 2.0 slot, go for it.

Let us know the outcome. I'd be interested in seeing the resulting frame rates. :)

Gigabyte doesn't usually list their firmwares, (actually most don't anymore), But if you open a support ticket with them, they will usually send you a link if they have them.

I only say that, as I have seen or heard about 3 cases in the last month that had pcie 3 issues that were solved by having the video card replaced with a newer revision. in all cases the card worked elsewhere, and worked in compatibility mode. You might be 4 lol

(note, not isolated to AMD. nvidia too, and multiple 3rd party manufacturers.)

Syn

So, I used SC2s final battle as a benchmark as it was the first thing I installed and I had it running when my mate came over to do the check with his video card as described in post 1. We had a fps comparison which is why I remember the 80+ (mostly 100+ actually) fps.

Now we have this:
    Photo Album - Imgur
    (The 37 was PCIe 3.0 on gen1, the other one in PCIe 2.0)

And that may have something to do with this:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

What the hell . . . .?

synack is offline Member

Very strange indeed. pcie 2.0 x4 should be half the bandwidth of pcie 1.0 x16

To be getting just about the same frame rate indicates to me that something else is at play here. What, I'm not too sure of.
    Sorry that doesn't help you much.

I'm really beginning to suspect that video card is not up to snuff.
    Did you try it in another system?

Syn

I wanted to, but initially it was the PCIe3.0 thing that was not working and I didn't know anyone in this country (just moved here) with a PCIe3.0 capable motherboard.
    PCIe2.0 worked fine initially. I do have a friend with a PCIe2.0 capable motherboard.
    Now I'm just going to send it back though. There's still a chance it is the motherboard, but it is starting to look like the Graphics card indeed.

I can still use the computer without it and if it does end up being the mobo I'll know for sure and all I've done is play games on lower settings for 2 weeks (or smthg).

I'll let you know how things turn out.

OK, I received a new graphics card yesterday, which after plugging in was recognized as a 3.0 card by my BIOS immediately. North bridge PCI2 setting was on Auto.

But, Catalyst centre recognized max bus speed as PCIe 3.0, whereas I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be PCIe 3.0 x 16.

I've tried re-inserting the card (twice) but I haven't tried to put it in the PCIe 2.0 slot. Final battle SC2 did another 40 fps at max detail, and I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't get that 100+ fps at a different video setting and I'm just imagining things.

I'll have more time this weekend to do actual testing. I'll try one of those benchmarkers that anandtech or tom's hardware uses, see what that gives me.

synack is offline Member

Sweet! good to hear!
    16 is the number of PCIe3 lanes. I would be worried if it said x8, x4 or yikes x1.. but since it doesn't say any number, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe a driver update?

Yea, give it a benchmark. Compare it to the performance they get (obviously with some leeway). pay particular attention to those benchmarks that they say are pcie bus limited.
    I think I remember seeing an anandtech comparison of PCIe2 to PCIe3, that might be a good place to start.

Syn

imgur: the simple image sharer was done with the Performance setting

which is hard to compare to Benchmark Results: 3DMark 11 And Unigine Heaven : AMD Radeon HD 7870 And 7850 Review: Pitcairn Gets Benchmarked because of the extreme preset that requires upgrading 3dmark11

But does seem to fit in the right ballpark when browsing Search
    And seems to fit AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition & 7850 Video Card Review - 3DMark 11 - Legit Reviews
    AMD Radeon HD 7870 & Radeon HD 7850 Review > 3Dmark 11 & Test System Specs - TechSpot Reviews (The second one)

So . . . all good?

Well, until I try to Overclock at least.

synack is offline Member

Yep, looks good! Looks to me like you've already exceeded the those benchmarks by a few hundred points.

HAHA @ the overclock :) Now the FUUN begins!

Let us know how it goes!
    I'm an Nvidia guy, but I still like to cheer for the underdog every now and then! ;) woot! here comes the flames!

Syn

PS.. lol this was my 100th Post!! "I'm a real boy now!" bye bye "Junior Member"
    Last edited by synack; 11-03-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: 100th post celebration

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

....and unless the rules have changed, you'll become a senior member with your 500th post.

Check out HARDOCP - Introduction - PCI Express 2.0 vs 3.0 GPU Gaming Performance Review
    Last edited by profJim; 11-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information