Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Advice or Suggestion on SSD/HDD Config

kediedri is offline Junior Member

Default Advice or Suggestion on SSD/HDD Config

Hello, I am doing a new build using the ASRock A75M mother board. I also picked up a 120GB SSD. I have Win7 64bit loaded on the SSD and my plan is to use my old Segate 80GB HDD as a RAID 0 for improved preformace. My question is should I use the RAID function on the ASRock mother board to setup the RAID for these drives or just use the disk manager in Win7? I want to boot from the SSD and it is not included in the RAID so I am not sure if the BOIS will allow my to boot from the SSD as an IDE drive and still have the RAID setup for the 2 HDD drives? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Advice or Suggestion on SSD/HDD Config

First, the Windows "virtual disk"/RAID feature is not used by anyone I've ever seen, and is ignored for a reason, it's not very good.

AMD seems to still have the option of setting individual SATA ports to different SATA modes, like IDE or RAID, which Intel has never done. That may have been a good idea years ago, but I don't see the point of it now, since all drives should operate in at least AHCI mode.

Speaking of AHCI, you said you installed Windows on your SSD in IDE mode? That was a mistake if so, since a single SSD should always be used in AHCI mode for the best performance, and there really is a difference. That can be fixed without a re-installation of Windows, if you need to.

There should be no reason you cannot use your SSD not as a RAID volume and boot from it, and have your two HDDs in a RAID volume. When using RAID, you are not required to have all the drives in RAID volumes.

Thanks for the reply I was think that my SSD should be set to AHCI, but was not 100% sure. I change it tonight. So if I want to setup my HDD as a RAID0 I need to turn on RAID in the BIOS and then use the CNTRL-F option on boot to create my RAID volume for the HDD. Will I need to RAID driver disk to install on Win7 or should my existing install be OK. My goal is to use my HDD as a one large data volume while my SSD has my OS and main applications.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Don't set your bios to AHCI mode, first you need to.....
    1. do a web search using: how to enable ahci in windows 7
    2. read the tutorials and make sure that you fully understand the three registry changes that are required before changing to AHCI mode in the bios
    3. post any questions if you don't fully understand the procedure

Wait for parsec to make his suggestions.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks again, I was planing to reload Win7 any ways so it no big deal unless for some reason I need to make the reg changes even if I change the BIOS and reload the OS? Like I said I just want to setup the HDD drives as a RAID 0 and I want to do it the most efficent way which I assume was to use the controller on the MB. I was just not sure if I could leave the SSD drive as a stand alone drive and still use the RAID function on the MB for the HDD. If I go into the BIOS and look umder the storage option I was thinking I only had one plase to change the mode to either IDE,RAID, or AHCI. IF I sett he storage option the RAID then I was concerned that the SSD would also have to be setup as part of my RAID volume.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You're welcome.
    I did a clean win7 install on an ssd boot drive after I set the bios to AHCI mode and didn't need make any windows registry changes with my Gigabyte/Intel setup.
    I'm not familiar with the proper steps to set up a hybrid ssd/hdd setup.
    The procedure should be listed in your motherboard user manual and you should be able to find web tutorials that include steps specific to your motherboard brand/model.

If you just want your o/s on the ssd, set the bios to AHCI mode and then install win7 without your hard drives installed.
    Once you've completed your win7 updates and installed all drivers, then you should be able to create a raid array using your hard drives.

Forum members familiar with AMD raid setup can provide more information.
    A web search using: raid tutorial amd a75 will help.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

howmany hdd's you have? your first post said only one 80gb hdd? for raid youd need two

set to raid in bios with all your drives attached 2hdd's and one ssd

press ctrl and m i think for amd boards ,create the raid array on the hdd's and leave out the ssd then install windows and that should be it
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You're welcome.
    I did a clean win7 install on an ssd boot drive after I set the bios to AHCI mode and didn't need make any windows registry changes with my Gigabyte/Intel setup.
    I'm not familiar with the proper steps to set up a hybrid ssd/hdd setup.
    The procedure should be listed in your motherboard user manual and you should be able to find web tutorials that include steps specific to your motherboard brand/model.

If you just want your o/s on the ssd, set the bios to AHCI mode and then install win7 without your hard drives installed.
    Once you've completed your win7 updates and installed all drivers, then you should be able to create a raid array using your hard drives.

Forum members familiar with AMD raid setup can provide more information.
    A web search using: raid tutorial amd a75 will help.
    It is correct that a new OS installation will not require any registry change to switch from IDE to AHCI mode. That is ONLY needed when an OS is installed in IDE mode, and then the change to AHCI (or RAID) is made.

Speaking of which, at least on Intel systems, you cannot just change from AHCI to RAID mode, when the OS was installed in AHCI mode. A similar but different registry change is needed to do that, just like going from IDE to AHCI mode on an existing OS. So it is not possible to create RAID arrays on an OS installed in AHCI mode, since the SATA mode must be set to RAID before RAID volumes can be created. The RAID configuration screen available during POST (aka, Option ROM), and any RAID configuration software running in Windows will not run or not allow you to create RAID volumes if the SATA mode is set to AHCI.

With Intel hardware and drivers, when the SATA mode is set to RAID, any and all single drives (drives not part of a RAID array/volume) are treated as if running in AHCI mode. RAID mode supports all the functions of AHCI, plus the added RAID features. That is why Intel recommends that for a new OS installation, if you want to use AHCI mode, just set the SATA mode to RAID, even if you have no plans of creating RAID arrays. Single SSDs are treated as if the SATA mode were AHCI, plus they still receive the TRIM command. There is no downside to using RAID mode with all non-RAID array drives/volumes, since they are really running in AHCI mode. Later if you want to try a RAID volume, you are all set to do so. They call that RAID-ready. This is all basically true for AMD hardware and their RAID feature.

If you create RAID arrays, you will need to set your SATA mode to RAID, and during the OS installation, load the AMD RAID driver from a USB drive, when you have that option displayed during the installation. That is a special small RAID driver that is listed on your boards download page as, "SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation)". You don't need a floppy drive or disk to do this, that is old terminology from the XP days, just use a USB flash drive. Click on the Installation Guide link found in the entry for this driver on the download page for instructions, and also your mother board manual. Believe me, it will save you so much time and headaches if you read the manual first.

I don't think kediedri wants to create the hybrid SSD/HHD cached drive system. That is actually a type of RAID 0 array that Intel now offers as an option, that they otherwise call SRT, or Acceleration. AMD does not have that feature AFAIK.

Wazza, you're right about listing only one HDD in his first post, but if you check the system specs, he listed two 80GB HDDs.

Thread Information