Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Installing Win 7 64 on Extreme 6, Sata set to RAID windows says cant install on this hardware.

Question Installing Win 7 64 on Extreme 6, Sata set to RAID windows says cant install on this hardware.

Greetings! I have tried for hours to get Windows to install on the 1TB hdd. I have two drives, one is a 64 gig SSD, and the other is a 1 TB, Corsair hdd. I am trying to set up Intel SSD caching using SRT. My OS is Win 7 64 Pro. My processor is an 3570K, I have 8 gigs of ram. This is a brand new build. All drives are fresh out of the packaging. I am happy to give more info if needed.

I set the SATA controller to raid and rebooted with Windows disc in. I install on the hdd. At the very end of every install (I tried 6 times.) I get a message that Windows cannot install on this hardware.

The 7th time I installed I pulled the ASrock disk and during installation I installed the RAID driver and continued to install windows. It worked! I had both drives visible (it seemed), after I finished installing the mother board drivers I went into the intell set-tup and set the caching of SSD to all its space and to 'Maximized'. I did this BEFORE I updated windows OR got service pack 1 for Win 7. I was going to update windows but it told me to restart the system. When I did the drives went way and I was told to 'hit any key to boot from media' ..Ouch.

I am now having problems installing windows as there are no device to see. No drives at all. Can anyone advise me on how to recover my drives and/or start over (again). I am more than happy to keep plugging away (learning on how to do the right thing).

Any advice is welcome. This is a new build. I was installing windows last night when this humor occurred.
    Last edited by Larsenex; 09-28-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.

Default Re: Installing Win 7 64 on Extreme 6, Sata set to RAID windows says cant install on this hardware.

As an add on to this thread, is it possible to ruin (my SSD and HDD) so I cannot start over? In other words I am OK with starting over, I just would like to know where to begin.

Thanks much!

Default Re: Installing Win 7 64 on Extreme 6, Sata set to RAID windows says cant install on this hardware.

have you tried booting from windows disk and doing a startup repair? thats with the hdd and ssd still attached
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your SSD and HDD (1TB Corsair HDD?) are not damaged from a partially botched installation. If you have another PC to put the drives in, do so and just quick format them, or you could do that with the Windows installation disk too.

You didn't tell us the most important thing, which mother board you are using, there are many ASRock "Extreme" boards.

You need to clear the BIOS/UEFI, so it can find the drives again, as it is very confused now. I would try the drives in another PC if possible to make sure they are Ok, which they should be.

You answered your own question about needing the RAID driver during installation, and installing SP1 and ALL you drivers and Windows updates BEFORE you use the SSD to accelerate your HDD. You need only do one other important thing before you start you OS installation over again. ONLY have your HDD connected to the mother board during the installation, the SSD must be not connected. If you use a DVD drive, of course you need that connected, but NO OTHER HDDs or SSDs should be connected. Otherwise, Windows will put the MBR on one of the extra drives, and if you remove or format it (which happens to the SSD when you accelerate the HDD with SRT), the PC will not longer boot. This is most likely why your PC would not boot and asked for media when you tried your first acceleration. It is also possible that the boot order changed when you accelerated the system, did you check that? You may need to fix the boot order when you accelerate your system again.

When you get your accelerated system running, do not be surprised if you no longer see your SSD in Windows. It has become part of the HDD/OS volume, and is still there. Also, it takes time before an accelerated system becomes faster due to the SSD, since a SRT system learns what files are used most often, and puts them onto the SSD. So if it does not seem super fast at first, give it some time to break in, so to speak.

Parsec, thanks very much. Today Friday (TODAY, 9/28) I set the controller to RAID, and went into the 'raid drive' window. I had BOTH drives attached and set both to NON raid drives. I saved and rebooted with Windows. I think I can format them but you are correct, it will NOT let me install on the SSD as it says there is an MBR there. I am currently installing updates and have windows up and running. I installed the Intel SRT and (IT) shows both drives right now. I am VERY reluctant to hit the accelerate as I am worried it will do this again. I have nothing lose and I have allocated the ENTIRE weekend to resolve this. If you think I should disconnect the SSD and START over I will.

So far everything is working fine, I got SP1 for windows and shut down and now I am posting this from work. If you have any advice I am open to hear it.
    Last edited by Larsenex; 09-28-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: additional information.

Parsec one last question. If I start over and just have the HDD connected I do want to have the controller set to RAID correct? Also do i want to have windows put in a partition on it and lastly do I want the motherboard to leave the drive as a raid drive or not as a raid drive?

Currently, The mother board sees BOTH drives and it is in RAID mode, however Windows ONLY sees ONE drive (the large HDD) and if I go into the intel thingy (IT) sees both drives. Again I am reluctant to hit accelerate....

Thanks.
    Last edited by Larsenex; 09-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Parsec one last question. If I start over and just have the HDD connected I do want to have the controller set to RAID correct? Also do i want to have windows put in a partition on it and lastly do I want the motherboard to leave the drive as a raid drive or not as a raid drive?

Currently, The mother board sees BOTH drives and it is in RAID mode, however Windows ONLY sees ONE drive (the large HDD) and if I go into the intel thingy (IT) sees both drives. Again I am reluctant to hit accelerate....

Thanks.
    Yes, if you start over, just have the HDD installed, and set the SATA mode to RAID, that will work fine, and is required if you want to accelerate the HDD with your SSD. You will need to install the Intel IRST driver after you install Windows before you can manage and accelerate your HDD.

Do you want Windows to put a partition on what, the SSD? No, not needed, the Intel RAID manager will do that if you accelerate the HDD. If you don't do that, you can partition the SSD with Windows later.

Not sure what you mean about wanting the mother board to leave the drive as a RAID drive. Leave it as it is, it should be a RAID drive.

That was three questions...

About your last comment, it sounds like your SSD was not initialized by you in Windows 7 in Disk Management, which is why the BIOS sees it, and the "IT" sees it, but Windows does not. That is normal and Ok, you can leave it like that or initialize it, does not matter. You can initialize it to test that it is working Ok. You can even format it to test it is working fine, always a good test. If you accelerate later, any formatting and partition you create will be removed and redone by IRST, which is normal.

You are reluctant to hit accelerate because...? Have you installed all the main drivers, IME, graphics drivers, etc? If the Accelerate fails, nothing should be damaged, as long as you allow the IRST program to "recover" or whatever it does if it fails.

If you installed the IRST driver in Windows, go to Control Panel and run the IRST GUI, which I believe you have done already. Click the Help button, and a new window will open with all the documentation for RAID, etc. Find the Accelerate section, and read it, which should clear up your fears.

Thread Information