Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BSOD after BIOS update

plavac is offline Junior Member

Default BSOD after BIOS update

First of all, sorry for my bad English.

Yesterday i updated BIOS to newest version. After that i have BSOD issues. Sometime i get BSOD and restart after 2 hours of playing games ,and sometimes i get it after 2 minutes of gameplay.

Errors look like this:

http://www.zaslike.com/files/cuma8omn1t26hlj8xeu.png

and this:

http://www.zaslike.com/files/m3mca101u74q9m7pld2d.png

And one important thing. I have 2 x 1 GB + 1 x 2 GB DDR2 RAM and in BIOS and CPU-z, it says that the RAM is running in dual channel. I dont understand.
    Can this be a problem? And how can i change from dual to single channel in BIOS?
    Everything worked fine before BIOS update.

Please help.

bigpygme is offline Junior Member

Default Re: BSOD after BIOS update

what is the motherboard you updated the BIOS on?

yes, running RAM like that can always cause problems. all the tech sites and manufacturers say we're supposed to run only matched RAM modules.
    best regards,
    Michael

AMD Phenom x2 560, 4 cores unlocked (running as B60)
    Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    HIS Radeon 7750
    8 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
    WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

parsec is offline Senior Member

You said you updated to the latest BIOS, but you listed 1.60 in your system specs, which is not the latest BIOS. What version do you have now?

There is nothing wrong with running memory in dual channel mode, if you have the correct number and type of DIMMs. Using memory in dual channel is faster than single channel. You cannot change to single channel in the BIOS, but you can put memory in just one channel. The two blue slots are one channel, and the two white slots are the second channel.

Did you try using one, 1GB DIMM in each channel, or just the one 2GB DIMM in one channel?

I have 1.70. I accidently typed 1.60.

Im confused with dual channel thing. I thought that dual channel is only 2 or 4 same RAM in same color ram slot.

I tried running PC with only one 2 GB stick and single channel is normally recognized. Also when i try to put my 2 x 1 GB and 1 x 2 GB and add another 1 GB stick from my old computer, i get a blank screen.

Here is something i draw to show you how i installed my RAM. I get the same problem.

http://www.zaslike.com/files/0ye6z0h9ouvapfui8pir.png

hi plavac -
    adding that extra stick of RAM and getting a blank screen is pretty persuasive evidence of the kind of problem with conflicting RAM that i was talking about. i'm glad you don't get that all the time with the mix of RAM you're using.
    so, you put two 1GB sticks in one channel, and one 2GB stick in the other - is that how you're working it? that is to say, your option #2 in your diagram ? if i couldn't afford matched RAM (which you'll want to shoot for sometime), that's probably what i'd do.
    for troubleshooting, you can go with just one 2GB stick very well.

still don't see your model of mobo, but have you talked to ASRock about the failed BIOS update yet? in updating the BIOS, were you trying to fix a problem? what problem ?
    some folks say that unless the BIOS update has some feature you want, you should just leave it ...

is it possible to download an old 1.6 BIOS update and run that, going back to when your system was known good?
    best regards,
    Michael

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    HIS Radeon 7750
    WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

I tried to install 1.6 but still the same problem. So i returned to newest, 1.7 version.
    I'm running 2 x 1 GB at same colored slots and 1 x 2 GB in other slot.
    Everything worked fine before i flashed BIOS. Memtest86+ is currenty running on my OC so if this go without any errors, software is the thing that ia causing BSOD?

I mostly get the same irql error. I used some dmp reading programs and it says that some ntoskrnl.exe windows file is BSOD reason.

any word from ASRock ?
    best regards,
    Michael

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    HIS Radeon 7750
    WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

Ok, i runned memtest86+ for about 3-4h. No errors at all.
    And know i figured something. I have 2 GB with 1.8v and 2 x 1 GB with 2.2v. Maybe this is causing BSOD. Can i mix them together? And what voltage should i put? 2.0v is fine?
    They are same CL5.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpygme View Post
    yes, running RAM like that can always cause problems. all the tech sites and manufacturers say we're supposed to run only matched RAM modules.
    well, you certainly do have a problem with your unmatched RAM. i recommend buying a set of the amount of RAM you want. it's gotten pretty cheap. to replace what you have, 4 GB is only about 40 bucks. until then, i suggest running ONLY the 2 1GB sticks so you get the benefits of dual channel. i don't think it will fix your BIOS update problem, but it will keep the RAM from from causing other issues.

again, did you talk to ASRock about the BIOS update problem yet? i'd be very interested in what they have to say about the update failure, and about trying to revert back to BIOS Ver 1.6 with no luck.
    best regards,
    Michael

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    HIS Radeon 7750
    WD 1TB, 800 GB Backup

Thread Information