Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How do I change power button shutdown time?

Default How do I change power button shutdown time?

I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 with BIOS 2.30. I can't find an option in the BIOS to change how long you have to hold the power button in order to shutdown the computer. Right now it shuts off immediately if I press the power button which I don't want.

Also, after upgrading to BIOS ver. 2.00 (I think), when I save any changes I made to the BIOS and exit, the computer will shut down for a few seconds and then start up again. Before it would just restart the computer. Does this happen to anyone else?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How do I change power button shutdown time?

Power button reaction time setting? Never heard of it or seen it in this or any other UEFI/BIOS. Immediate shutdown would occur if in the BIOS, or stuck in POST, or a failed boot in my experience. Otherwise if in the OS, you must press and hold the button for several seconds. If it now shuts down immediately anytime, that IMO is a bug, but might be on purpose, who knows? That could also be a Windows setting, or in the registry.

Shutdown and then restart after a UEFI update? Sure I've seen that with this board, and any UEFI version. It depends upon what you are changing in the UEFI. If you change memory settings, or certain CPU settings, the PC will shutdown, and then start again. Other boards I have do that too.

Ok I guess it's normal then. I remember in the older non-UEFI BIOS there was an option for the power button shutdown time. In Windows when I pressed the power button it's not instant like the BIOS but would go through the shutdown process. That turned out to be an option in the Power settings.

Do you know of any good guides for overclocking the cpu on this motherboard? I'm also not sure of the fan settings. The default fan settings were set to the highest, level 9, which is really annoying. What setting should I start it at and what temperature should I set it to where the fan speed starts to increase?

Thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Overclocking a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU (we have no idea what you have) is simple, and different than earlier Intel CPUs. Forget any overclocking techniques you used on earlier Intel CPUs, they no longer apply.

First, you must have a 'K' type CPU, otherwise no way to OC it. All increases in clock speed is done with the CPU/Turbo multiplier. The BCLK, at a standard speed of 100MHz, cannot be increased much at all, anything beyond ~104 will BSOD. Leave it alone.

The OC Tweaker screen is where you OC the CPU. Turbo boost MUST be enabled. Click on CPU Turbo Ratio, and select By All Cores. A field then appears below it, where you put in a number, that when multiplied by the BCLK (100), results in the final clock speed. For example, setting Turbo Ratio to 40, results in a CPU speed of 4.0 GHz.

You can find any number of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge OCing guides if you search for them.

For CPU cooling, set it to Automatic. Select 5 or 6 for the initial speed, but that depends on the fan. Set the target temperature to the lowest temp. Do this in the BIOS, and use AXTU to change it in Windows.

Setting initial fan speed to level 5 or 6 is still too loud, even though I have aftermarket cpu cooler with a supposedly quiet fan. I don't think I can handle that as the default setting. I'll set it to level 2 or 3. I'll search around for some guides for overclocking. Thanks.
    Last edited by nobugsonme; 10-08-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Thread Information