Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whea_uncorrectable_error

cybersrs is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Whea_uncorrectable_error

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Have you tried temporarily installing win7 to see if you have any WHEA errors with your i7-2600K?
    I don't know if a faulty cpu can cause WHEA errors.
    parsec can probably help you with any needed bios changes.
    Another option is to send a private message (PM) to ASRock TSD - Emily where you include a link to this thread and ask for her help.
    I did not... I tried that stresslinux you said. I was getting this: mcelog -- FAQ
    "kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type", then I tried to install the i5 2500k and the error stopped... then put back on i7 and the error came back.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

It looks like it's a Linux bug.
    Which program were you trying to run? Prime95?
    You might be able to successfully test with a different Linux CD download.
    See if you can find a more recent Linux Live CD download that includes stress testing programs.
    I think that your WHEA bsod 0x124 is voltage related with your 2600K cpu, but I'm not familiar with tweaking ASRock motherboards. Hopefully parsec or Emily can give you some suggestions.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

IF a CPU is damaged from high voltages, there is no fix for that. But usually the CPU is either just dead completely, or Ok. If your board allowed disabling thermal throttling (WHY do they do that?!) and you did that, and the CPU obeyed, then who knows.

The issues with the mix of SB and IB CPUs on SB and IB boards, usually goes like this:

SB CPU on a IB board, should be Ok, my i7-2600K works fine on a Z77 board, even using the latest BIOS, which is really tuned for IB CPUs.

IB CPU on a SB board with (very important) the BIOS for a IB CPU, seems to be Ok, I've never done this.

SB CPU on a SB board, BUT with the BIOS for IB CPU compatibility, a bad mix, problems are common. This is an example of the "new, wonderful BIOS" not being so, it was not meant for SB CPUs, but no warnings are provided, I assume since the BIOS transition to support IB CPUs on a SB board signals the end of updates for SB CPU and board pairs. Two "lines" of BIOS updates really should exist, but no one does that.

If you can try your SB CPU and board (6 series chipset) pair, hopefully without the IB compatible BIOS, use it with all default CPU settings. NO manual voltage settings, all on AUTO. Enable SpeedStep for power saving, and easy running of the CPU. Leave it on the stock multiplier, give it a break. See how it goes like that, for days, and I doubt you will see much if any difference in performance. Install the drivers and IME, use it as it is meant to be used. If you have the IB compatible BIOS, just be more careful, and check for driver updates on the download page.

You're in diagnostic mode with that CPU, take it easy and see how it goes.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cybersrs View Post
    I did not... I tried that stresslinux you said. I was getting this: mcelog -- FAQ
    "kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type", then I tried to install the i5 2500k and the error stopped... then put back on i7 and the error came back.
    Stresslinux uses an old 2.6 kernel, that error message is not an issue with current 3.6 kernels.
    The message was a notification that a unknown hardware error occurred and was corrected by the system. It's probably actually a *good* thing! With newer kernels you will happily go about your day with the OS correcting the hardware errors without letting you even know there were any.

But the important thing to remember here is that there *WERE* hardware errors.
    Unfortunately the software and kernel are too old to decipher the newer hardware errors.

Barring a compatibility issue with the motherboard and all other things being equal, if the 2500k worked where the 2600k didn't.. maybe the cpu is bad.

Just for kicks and giggles, try removing the xmp profile for that ram in the BIOS, and make sure the timings are very loose. Try firing up windows or the stresslinux and see if the errors go away.

Also, I believe that stresslinux disk has a memtest86+ partition on it, give it a good long whirl and see if memory errors come up there.(at least 2 full "pass" iterations should be a good test) My system takes about 1 hour or so to run through 2 passes

Syn

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

+1^^
    If MemTest86+ completes several full passes with no errors, follow up with running test #5 for at least 10 - 15 loops by typing C 1 3 5 [enter key] 0 (zero)
    Any errors while running MemTest86+ means that there is a problem and that the error might be caused by one or more incorrect bios settings. Passing these tests does NOT mean that your bios settings are correct, it means that your bios settings are "close enough" not to cause errors and that no memory hardware errors were detected.
    These tests are excellent preliminary tests, not the final word.

If needed, the most recent 4.20 free version can be downloaded from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool where you can download a version to make a bootable floppy, usb or optical disk where you will boot directly using the bootable media.

If there are no errors with both of these tests, I would re-run the full test overnight for at least 6 - 10 hours, if possible.

The attached picture shows that over 1000 errors occurred but we don't know how soon the first error appeared.
    After the test starts, press the SPACE BAR (for Scroll Lock) and this will stop the messages from scrolling after more than 10 errors have occurred.

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    IF a CPU is damaged from high voltages, there is no fix for that. But usually the CPU is either just dead completely, or Ok. If your board allowed disabling thermal throttling (WHY do they do that?!) and you did that, and the CPU obeyed, then who knows.

The issues with the mix of SB and IB CPUs on SB and IB boards, usually goes like this:

SB CPU on a IB board, should be Ok, my i7-2600K works fine on a Z77 board, even using the latest BIOS, which is really tuned for IB CPUs.

IB CPU on a SB board with (very important) the BIOS for a IB CPU, seems to be Ok, I've never done this.

SB CPU on a SB board, BUT with the BIOS for IB CPU compatibility, a bad mix, problems are common. This is an example of the "new, wonderful BIOS" not being so, it was not meant for SB CPUs, but no warnings are provided, I assume since the BIOS transition to support IB CPUs on a SB board signals the end of updates for SB CPU and board pairs. Two "lines" of BIOS updates really should exist, but no one does that.

If you can try your SB CPU and board (6 series chipset) pair, hopefully without the IB compatible BIOS, use it with all default CPU settings. NO manual voltage settings, all on AUTO. Enable SpeedStep for power saving, and easy running of the CPU. Leave it on the stock multiplier, give it a break. See how it goes like that, for days, and I doubt you will see much if any difference in performance. Install the drivers and IME, use it as it is meant to be used. If you have the IB compatible BIOS, just be more careful, and check for driver updates on the download page.

You're in diagnostic mode with that CPU, take it easy and see how it goes.

I have tried like you said, did not work.
    Weird is that should be like you said "But usually the CPU is either just dead completely".

Well, thank you all very much for the help!

parsec is offline Senior Member

All the components of a CPU are dependent on each other for the device to work as it should. If say the cache was damaged, or the memory controller, but the processing cores were fine, it would still fail. But I did say usually... it seems in your case it was injured to a degree that allows it to function somewhat.

So you didn't see any burn marks on the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU? All the socket contacts were fine? If the other CPU worked fine, the socket seems Ok.

It sounds like you are giving up on that CPU, which may be the right decision. You're sick of it now, not a surprise at all, and later on you could try it again, or give it to someone to test. A shame it was damaged, but that does happen. I wonder if you could get another from Intel with that new replacement program they have for CPUs, but I don't know the details. Check it out here:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    All the components of a CPU are dependent on each other for the device to work as it should. If say the cache was damaged, or the memory controller, but the processing cores were fine, it would still fail. But I did say usually... it seems in your case it was injured to a degree that allows it to function somewhat.

So you didn't see any burn marks on the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU? All the socket contacts were fine? If the other CPU worked fine, the socket seems Ok.

It sounds like you are giving up on that CPU, which may be the right decision. You're sick of it now, not a surprise at all, and later on you could try it again, or give it to someone to test. A shame it was damaged, but that does happen. I wonder if you could get another from Intel with that new replacement program they have for CPUs, but I don't know the details. Check it out here:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
    No, the CPU looks perfect... it just wont work :-P Maybe running something that wont stress the CPU, it might work without errors.
    I have bought i5 3570k, running on ASRock Z77 Extreme 4... it is all good now, I have no HT, but that is ok for now... the only problem so far is that my memory G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products
    just wont work at 2133MHz, Prime95 says hardware failure... only work at 2000MHz, XMP or not.

About the Tuningplan, I really like the plan, probably I will use it on my new CPU... I live in Brazil and I bought mine in Paraguay... I will have to check it out if works for me.
    Q8) How do I return the eligible processor?
    A8) The return process depends on the purchase process. The purchaser should return the processor to the place of purchase. If the Plan was purchased directly from Intel, contact Intel customer support. .

Thank you for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information