Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z75 Pro 3 Mobo BIOS Update fail - blank screen

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Z75 Pro 3 Mobo BIOS Update fail - blank screen

You're getting good advice so far.
    Keep in mind that modern motherboards will not post if you don't have the 8-pin EPS12V psu cable or the 4-pin ATX_12V psu cable connected to you motherboard. If you only have the 4-pin cable, check the motherboard user manual to be sure that it is connected to the correct half of the 8-pin socket.

Proceed with a minimal hardware boot, your goal is to be able to get into the bios with your monitor working.
    Temporarily disconnect all attached drives and any hardware that isn't required for booting into the bios.

Your motherboard has a single PS/2 connector on the rear I/O panel. See if you can use an older PS/2 keyboard while booting.
    I just checked and your psu has a 4+4 pin ATX_12V/EPS12V power cable setup so you want to connect both 4-pin cables into the 8-pin connector.
    Even if your power supply is brand new, you might need to borrow another power supply to test with.

When I build a new system, I always place the motherboard on a cardboard box beside the computer case.
    I don't install the motherboard into the computer case until the system is fully functional, the operating system is fully installed and updated and I've completed my initial stress testing.

Never put the motherboard's anti-static bag under the motherboard because the outer cover is electrically conductive.
    Make sure that your cpu cooler is fully seated and that none of the corners partially seated.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

NateZ is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yeah, gotta have RAM in there, use slots 2 and 4 with two DIMMs.

Good idea about the speaker beep codes synack, there is a header for a speaker, and my ASRock board (really the BIOS) will produce beeps.

No power to the keyboard or mice is strange, again use the USB 2.0 ports, if the ports on the I/O panel are blue, they are USB 3.0 and won't be active during POST.

Since this is your first build in a while, just to check, what power supply are you using? Does it have the extra four or eight pin cable for CPU power, than connects to the mother board, as well as the 24 pin main cable? Gotta have at least a four pin cable for that extra power. Be SURE that the cable is NOT a video card power cable, it will likely fit but is NOT the same.

synack, curious about your G.SKILL memory, that's all that I've used for years until I started using the new Samsung. Never a problem, but doo-doo occurs.
    DIMMS are back in A2 and B2 slots.
    Really wishing I had a spare PC speaker.
    I am only using USB 2.0 ports. Mouse has power now that I put the RAM back in, but that's really the only change I can see. Fans work without RAM. No status lights on the keyboard or USB stick.
    PSU is an Earthwatts 380D. The 8 pin CPU cable is in the CPU slot on the mobo. The PCI power cable is not being used.
    Thanks again for your help guys!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You might have missed my post which got in ahead of you by seconds.
    You can buy a case speaker at Radio Shack and possibly at BestBuy.

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    i'd hate for you to need to go out and buy RAM to find out that wasn't it.
    Yeah that's not an option. Already dealing with my wife's "I told you this would happen"s.

Thanks for the tips Prof, and thanks again Syn and Parsec, you guys are awesome.
    It's 3:15 and I'm about out of ideas to try now. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can borrow a couple DDR3 Dimms, and see if I can actually get ahold of somebody at Asrock customer service or tech support. I'll also be swinging by radioshack to pick up a cheap internal speaker to help diagnose. Will let y'all know what happens.
    Thanks again!
    Nate

Default Update Re: Z75 Pro 3 Mobo BIOS Update fail - blank screen

Prof-Actually not so easy to pick up case speakers. Tried calling a bunch of Radioshacks and none carry them. Also tried calling some local parts/repair shops. Neither Radioshack nor Best Buy carry them online. I'll probably order from Newegg in anticipation of future screw-ups, but I'm not going to have one today.
    Talked to Newegg's Product Support. They said it was likely there was an initial problem with the RAM, but I would have to discuss the Mobo issue with ASRock directly, and gave me their phone number (which isn't on their website).
    Talked to ASRock's tech support. They said the BIOS is dead but (as Parsec stated) it is no problem to flash a new bios chip and ship it over to me within a couple days.
    Regarding the initial issue, they said that ASRock generally does not recommend using GSkill, as there are apparently alot of problems using GSkill with their boards (among other reasons). Also pointed out that, even though my mobo can support the 1600 RAM, the Intel site says that the G630 can only handle 1066 memory. For some reason (specifically, because Newegg only lists compatible RAM speeds with the mobo specs, and not with the CPU specs) I thought only the mobo mattered for RAM speed.
    It seems most likely that I had a RAM reset at the worst time during the BIOS update, resulting in literally no BIOS being left at all. I didn't ask about ASRock's crashless BIOS feature.
    I gotta say, considering the fact that they don't have their numbers listed on their site, I was pretty pleased with the ASrock support once I got them on the phone.
    So, I think I'm going to be RMA'ing the RAM and waiting for a new bios chip. Will update again once I get that chip. Thanks again for all the posts. Hopefully this will be helpful for others also, and not just this ignorant yutz.

synack is offline Member

Thanks for the update. good luck on the BIOS replacement.

Syn

parsec is offline Senior Member

Some important info about the RAM for you. First, Intel has the memory controller in the CPU now, and has for several years. The video chip functions are also in the CPU now. They even have the PCIe buss in the CPU. Do you know why they call the CPU and socket, 1155? That's how many contacts there are between the CPU and the CPU socket, 1,155. Intel also has socket 2011, which means the same thing. You might have noticed that there is only one support chip on the board, instead of the Northbridge and Southbridge chip configuration. The one chip is now called the PCH, Platform Controller Hub.

Next, but actually most important, you can't just use any DDR3 memory. Particularly for a new builder, you must use memory found in the boards memory compatibility list. Which lists it down to the exact model number, and that is no joke or baloney. I don't care if a memory manufacture states a product is fine with a board, ONLY trust the memory list! I know this is a bitter pill, but it's true, I would not say this if it wasn't true. So you may be sleeping on the couch over some RAM, OMG! But, you should be able to get 8GB of approved memory for less than $50, and perhaps $40. Or 4GB for ~$25.

The memory speed spec Intel has on their CPUs is very conservative, you can use faster memory than the spec, I do, synack does I'm sure, Prof Jim does, and all PC enthusiasts do. I have PCs with RAM at 1866, 2000, and 2133, which is not as fast as some guys do. The spec is all Intel guarantees will work. One of the fanciest new Intel PC CPUs, the i7-3770K, is spec'd at 1600, but you see what the mother board specs say, right? You can also use faster memory at a lower speed, that is no problem. Actually, I must say I have never used a lower priced CPU like you have, so I don't really know if they will work at higher RAM speeds. But I doubt you'd be buying 1600+ speed memory anyway.

Actually, your memory compatibility will be your next hurdle after a new BIOS chip. But once it works, you're done with that.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    synack does I'm sure
    I have 2133 in my new main rig, I can run it at 2400, but I get the occasional memory error every hour or so on memtest86+. That is unless I loosen up the timings a lot. (which defeats the purpose right?)
    I love performance, but I prefer stability.

You *can* run memory not on the compat list, however it comes with the risk of it not being compatible lol... which for me is fine. I usually have a couple sticks laying around that I can swap in.
    I quickly found a pair of kingston hyperx for $40 that's on your memory compat list: Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
    or these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220558

You could probably shop around and find a better deal.

Syn
    Last edited by synack; 10-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks for that looking into that for me and for the explanations.
    This is actually hugely helpful because I never thought to check the model numbers against the mobo list.
    What the ASRock tech support guy was saying regarding the CPU memory controller was that I'd probably be fine with 1333, but it's a pretty big jump from 1066 to 1600. But I can always underclock from BIOS, right? Once it exists again?
    There doesn't seems to be much point in getting 1333 then, as there's no price difference (the only 1333 RAM on the mobo compatibility list that Newegg has in stock is this ADATA Newegg.com - ADATA Premier Series 8GB &#40;2 x 4GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 &#40;PC3 10666&#41; Desktop Memory Model AD3U1333C4G9-DRH) and eventually I'd like to drop in a Core-branded CPU.
    So, I think I'll just go with the first one in Syn's post, as I'd really rather order from Newegg and I like Kingston. What's kinda funny is that, based on the feedback posts, it seems this model Kingston RAM defaults to 1333 on alot of mobos.
    Incidentally, the RMA process for the RAM is going smoothly with Newegg; I'm about to run to UPS to ship back on their dime.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information