Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4




  1. #21
    TSuNaMi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs down Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    lol.... I just noticed that you said you use centos 5.8

    Install cpufreq-utils

    run:
    cpufreq-set -g performance

    Should flip to 40x instead of 35x

    Let me know how that works out

    i installed it.

    cpufreq-set -g performance

    ok
    later
    cpufreq-info;

    analyzing CPU 0:
    driver: acpi-cpufreq
    CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    hardware limits: 1.60 GHz - 3.50 GHz
    available frequency steps: 3.50 GHz, 3.50 GHz, 3.40 GHz, 3.20 GHz, 3.10 GHz, 3.00 GHz, 2.80 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.50 GHz, 2.40 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 2.10 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.90 GHz, 1.70 GHz, 1.60 GHz
    available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
    current policy: frequency should be within 1.80 GHz and 3.50 GHz.
    The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
    within this range.
    current CPU frequency is 3.50 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).

    and
    nano /proc/cpuinfo;


    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    stepping : 9
    cpu MHz : 3501.000
    cache size : 8192 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 1

  2. #22
    TSuNaMi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    i looked with stress test with this command stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 60s

    Cpu(s): 67.8%us, 32.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 15968704k total, 9874844k used, 6093860k free, 179596k buffers
    Swap: 2096472k total, 0k used, 2096472k free, 1372168k cached


    RESULT DID NOT CHANGE !

  3. #23
    TSuNaMi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    solved problem: I changed my mainboard with gigabyte and problem solved. Thaanks asrock !

  4. #24
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    Quote Originally Posted by TSuNaMi View Post
    solved problem: I changed my mainboard with gigabyte and problem solved. Thaanks asrock !
    Synack and I both use ASRock Z77 boards, I use Windows and he uses Linux, and we don't have any problems over clocking. Actually, I have two of these boards, with different CPUs, one SB and the other IB, and they work like a charm.

  5. #25
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Synack and I both use ASRock Z77 boards, I use Windows and he uses Linux, and we don't have any problems over clocking. Actually, I have two of these boards, with different CPUs, one SB and the other IB, and they work like a charm.
    It's because the linux kernel utils read the speed from the chip, not the actual speed. Mine says 3.5Ghz as well in the cases he has shown above, even though its running at 4.0 or whatever.
    Which is why I suggested to him to download and run i7z. The whole reason this app exists is because cpufreq-info and /proc/cpu don't read the correct fields for IB.

    He's probably running 4.0 already and doesn't know... oh well, seems hell bent on trashing asrock and upping gigabyte, valid or not... what can you do?

  6. #26
    TSuNaMi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    It's because the linux kernel utils read the speed from the chip, not the actual speed. Mine says 3.5Ghz as well in the cases he has shown above, even though its running at 4.0 or whatever.
    Which is why I suggested to him to download and run i7z. The whole reason this app exists is because cpufreq-info and /proc/cpu don't read the correct fields for IB.

    He's probably running 4.0 already and doesn't know... oh well, seems hell bent on trashing asrock and upping gigabyte, valid or not... what can you do?
    i download i7z but i couldnt install it. Can you help me about i7z ?

  7. #27
    TSuNaMi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    ok i compiled it but kernel problem :)

    [root@i7-3770K ~]# ./i7z_64bit
    FATAL: kernel too old
    Segmentation fault

  8. #28
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    did you try the precompiled one?
    just download it, make it executable "chmod +x i7z_64bit"
    and run it as root

  9. #29
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: [Problem] overclocking with z77 extreme4

    as for the "kernel too old" error, you must have updated your glibc but not your kernel. now whenever you compile anything new that accesses the kernel, you may get this error.
    You should get into the practice of updating everything. not just one piece.
    I know kernel compiles *seem* scary. but once you have done it two or three times, it's actually a breeze.
    Centos should have a newer kernel RPM anyway... so it's even easier lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •